PDA

View Full Version : Who goes more than a few pages back?

mark c
26-07-2002, 04:26 PM
Coz if you do you can ticked off for 'dragging up old stuff' Fair enough too.

>>So why have umpteen thousand pages in the database?

>>>Maybe speed things up trim it down to ten.

>>>>Speed is Elvis!

>>>>>LOve the colors.

Heather P
26-07-2002, 04:35 PM
Historical information is good for searches into obscure information. Answering a post as though it is a current query isn't exactly overly helpful - for anyone.

Besides, the person who answered the recent ancient posts was doing it for malicious reasons - and has now been banned from the site.

mark c
26-07-2002, 04:44 PM
Yes I saw all that. Agree that handy to use the search for old threads and info but is it necessary to have sooooo many pages to go through?

Maybe it's a feature. :)

Biggles
26-07-2002, 04:53 PM
You can simply ignore anybody who drags up old stuff. Pressf1 is a great resource of answers and it would be silly to cut them out - mainly used for searching yes. Since we've had the new site there's only been a handful of instances of someone dragging up old posts (I mean really old ones, not posts that were live on the old system before we switched).

Someone did it again today (that locked thread "Sound in Dos Window). The nature of the post made it obvious they were along the same lines as Timyang and may well have been him (it was the users first post and their email was with a freehost). For now I've simply deleted the offending post and locked the thread.

If this becomes a real problem we may need to look at ther solutions, but I'm hoping common sense will prevail. Please, if anyone sees someone beign an ass, don't reply, just email both Rob and myself.

Graham L
26-07-2002, 05:22 PM
Mark: you don't have to go back through the old pages. You have to make a (presumably) conscious decision to go back. ;-)

mark c
27-07-2002, 09:52 PM
Fair do's Graham. Just puzzled why it is...er can't explain..What I mean is why have so many pages available when only the latest few are reviewed as pages, not historical..........nah, doesn't matter, being a nigglebut. Just thought if the site was smaller it would be faster.

robo
27-07-2002, 11:32 PM
I only ever look at the front page, set to 50 I think.
The old ones are a bother, but not the end of the world so far.
robo.

Heather P
27-07-2002, 11:39 PM
Mark,

There would be a COUNT feature built into the SQL. If set to 50 then it would only retrieve the first 50 from the database before loading the page. Clicking a link to the second page the SQL goes back to the database and fetches the next 50.

This means, if you can see 10 pages, each containing 50 records you will only download 50 records at a time, not 500.

Putting links to 10 or 100 pages shouldn't make any difference to speed.

mark c
31-07-2002, 02:48 PM
Thanks for all the replies, bit clearer now. Trust this is not dragging up old stuff to come out on top like a hot topic. This is a cold topic now. :) anyway