PDA

View Full Version : W2k modem problems

21-10-2001, 06:04 PM
I've spent all weekend installing W2k, everything is fine except for my oldish (96) Comwave V34 pnp modem.

Or HSP K56 Flex pnp as windows prefers to call it. I can't find a W2k driver anywhere, even the manufacturers (PCTel) say it is not supported in 2000.
Have tried various other drivers, including standard types, Rockwell, Lucent, and other PCTel models all to no avail.

Has anyone had this problem, or know of a solution, or even some suggestions. (polite ones please) Oh what the heck, anything will do

Thanks.

21-10-2001, 07:46 PM
That is the order things.....
If it aint supported then it obviously will not work on win2k...However did you try any of the windows generic drivers ie 'standard 33K6' to see if that kicks it into life as a test?

If that works then maybe a chipset search amybe in order to locate a similar driver..

==Orac==

21-10-2001, 08:21 PM
Don't you just HATE software modems?

I ripped out my conexant, and slapped in an old ISA, and I never have to worry about drivers, and connect at 52, 000 (though with the connexant, I connect at 53, 200). I don't have to worry about the modem crashing either.

21-10-2001, 08:39 PM
this is the thing I don't get. I heard all this talk about software and hardware modems and how hardware modems are far better than software ones... well now I've got a Conexant Hardware modem, replacing my conexant software modem... and well it has been running noticibly SLOWER, and that's when it actually sends and receives info... a lot of the time it just sits there...

with my software modem I would connect at between 49 and 54k, and now I just constantly connect at 48k.

22-10-2001, 07:25 AM
Thanks for the replys, I'm still at it. Though I think it may have me beat. I'll have to pull my wallet out, again, and go and buy a new modem.

God knows which one though, the Lucent pci that my son pinched of me seems to run without a hitch, usually hooked up 12hrs a day, never missed a beat in a year.

22-10-2001, 06:06 PM
If you have to buy a new modem again, then I think you just go for External Modem. External Modem is much better and stable ( at least for me )