PDA

View Full Version : backup of OE messages

21-10-2001, 12:01 PM
We recently had our Celeron 466 with 192 MB Ram & 13 GB HD formatted. I backed up all the OE .dbx files hoping I would be able to restore them and get at the messages. I had a lot of archived computer tips etc that I'd really like to be able to get back into. I know you can save your address book by exporting, but have no idea how to save my messages (in OE format) not 'save as' .eml
Can someone tell me if I can get into the .dbx files I saved, or at least tell me how to backup my new ones so that I can get into them later. I am a semi-experienced user who helps a lot of friends with their computers but have no-one I can ask for my own (more advanced) problems. Any good samaritans out there? Thanks heaps.

21-10-2001, 03:41 PM
Hello Kaye,
It's easy, just fire up Outlook express, go to file, import,messages,choose what version of OE you was using before (probably 5x )click on import from store directory at the next screen, navigate to where you have backed up your files,then choose if you want selected or all folders imported back, Done.
For future reference just make a regular copy of your C:\windows\application data folder this folder contains both your mail messages and address book and data can be restored from it using the above method.

Alan

25-10-2001, 04:50 PM
Thanks heaps Alan - had tried File Import, but the box only had OE4 and OE6 on the list. I tried OE 4 but after I navigate to where the folders are it says'no messages can be found in this folder or another application is running that has the required files open. Please select another folder or try closing applications that may have files open.' Of course I've already made new folders - some of which are duplicates of the ones I want to restore. Is the problem that I can't have a folder in my current version of OE (6) that have the same name as the ones archived? In which case, can I just rename the current ones and then try restoring the archived ones again?