PDA

View Full Version : Networking

21-10-2001, 12:49 AM
What is the best way to network together two computers. One based in Nelson and the other in Motueka?

21-10-2001, 01:41 AM
It depends on what you want to share and whether you really need a network. Prehaps sending files via e-mail would be easier.

Using the internet will be the easiest if both computers have an internet connection. I haven?t tried it, but you could setup a VPN (virtual private network) over the internet.

Or you could use the dialup networking server included with windows to do a direct connection over the phoneline.

But using modems for networking will be very slow.

21-10-2001, 02:57 PM
Assuming 'best' == 'cheapest'...
If you set up a web page on one of the free sites for each of your computers, you *might* be able to have a private passworded area which only your two sites can access. Otherwise, when you want to network, logon to your ISP, note your IP address for this session, email that to your other machine. The other end emails you with the IP number from that end, then you can enter the appropriate numbers to Windows network at both ends, and you're away. It's messy. The dial up way would be easier, if slower.

21-10-2001, 10:59 PM
Great thanks. I thought that might be the case.
What I would really like to do is to set up an internal peer-to-peer network between three computers in an office in Nelson and have the computer in Motueka somehow link in to share some files.
Is this feasible? What would be the most cost effective way to set up the peer-to-peer network?

21-10-2001, 11:01 PM
Sorry, the machines are running Microsoft 2000 Professional.