PDA

View Full Version : virus damage..

20-10-2001, 12:37 PM
i recently caught the w.32.magistr.39921@mm virus.
i updated my antivirus a got rid of it but there were two files that could not be repaired so i deleted them which may not have been a wise thing to do they were called helpctr.exe.now when i boot up a message appears that says product has caused a error in product.exe.from what i have read i need to repalce these files but i'm not sure how to do it.i don't think i have the OS disc all i have is a product recovery disc that came wiht the machine from the PC COMPANY and i can't get this to work at all.i'm running ME.
any ideas?
cheers.

20-10-2001, 12:59 PM
I was in the same position as you once and deleted two sound files. System restore did the trick for me.

20-10-2001, 04:02 PM
You floppy does not work because PC Company have set up the machine to NOT boot from a floppy. If you are happy about changing the NVRAM BIOS, do that ... otherwise try holding Ctrl down while the machine starts up. You should get a menu, select 'help' and go from there. If you are at a loss, try the dealer. They should not charge 'too' much to fix it. Unfortunately, ME restore seems to undo anything you have installed yourself ... and you could lose some documents (depending on where they are). My 13 year old friend had a problem last night: she is looking forward to reloading MS Office Pro off the 15 floppies :<( .

20-10-2001, 10:47 PM
Be thankful she dosent have the professional version...all 30 of them..(haha)

==Orac==