PDA

View Full Version : Persistent URL in IE6

19-10-2001, 10:44 PM
I was looking at a page on www.gimp.org and noticed afterwards that, despite clearing my 'history', when typing in a new URL that starts with 'g' IE pops up with the above site as a suggestion. I have checked my History folder and it is empty. I searched the registry but it doesn't appear as though IE stores previously visited URL's in there (or if it does it isn't in their text form). This is nothing more than an irritation but I would still like to know how to remove it (and know how it got there in the first place...!!??).

19-10-2001, 10:51 PM
IE 6 stores some URLs in the index.dat file even after you empty the cache/history. Download this program and it will get rid of these entries without you having to reboot you computer!

www.geocities.com/internet_sweeper

I have been using it for a year now and works fine, also can clear temporary files and all the clutter. I prefer this program ahead of the WinME disk cleanup to empty rubbish on my harddisk.

Freeware so enjoy!

19-10-2001, 11:44 PM
Thanks for this. However after using the sweeper utility the problem persists, with more URL's on the list. I noticed too that hyperlinks I had visited on pages remained in there 'visited' colour even after clearing the 'History' folder....Where does IE store this info??

22-10-2001, 09:37 PM
Andrew, I came across a similar post elsewhere and the solution given was to do this:

Clear all (temporary files, cookies, history, etc) from MS-DOS: boot into DOS (ie, choose Start, Programs, MS-DOS prompt), type these entries and hit enter after each.

smartdrv
deltree/y tempor~1
deltree/y cookies
deltree/y history
exit

Exiting will take you back to Windows. Note that your Temporary Internet Files folder will be deleted and upon returning to Windows, will reappear in a new C:\Windows\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files directory.

If you are interested, the address for this information is here:
http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=bd1459984198306a0609c2eb1a1268a1&threadid=54689