PDA

View Full Version : Network Help

19-10-2001, 06:18 PM
I have two PC's AMD k6-2-266 with 128mb ram 4gb hard drive and a Athlon 1ghz 256mb ram and 20gb hard drive and i would like to network them to play games and share files and the internet connection. They are in different buildings but quite close. What would be the best way to networks these PC's and what do i need?

19-10-2001, 06:50 PM
Hi Campbell

The easiest way to network the two PC's if they are not to far apart is to get some CAT5 data cable and a pair of network cards and then run the network as a peer-to-peer. This is really quite easy to setup. When you set this up you need to make the PC with the Internet Connection the Internet Gateway in the Network setup in the Control Panel.

19-10-2001, 08:59 PM
Er ur suggesting running cat5 cable to 2 pcs in different buildings lmao...gl :P.

19-10-2001, 09:46 PM
Yeah

I got 3 neighbours plugged into my hub for file sharing and party music.

It all depend on assessabily and distance.If its over the back fence thru grass then cat5 in conduits the way. Wireless is expensive and has its short comings. How about Dailup thru PCanywhere(seeing where Nortons pro at the moment)as a solution?

==Orac==

20-10-2001, 03:38 PM
The safest way would be with modems, on a twisted pair set up as a 'leased line'. The worst problem is likely to be earth loops: the induced voltages can be high,
and although the 10Base-T boards are transformer coupled, they are not rated for high voltages. 10Base-2 (coax) might be safer. At least the cards have sparkgaps and MOV protection.
First run a wire between the buildings. Connect one end to one of the computers (the case of the power supply) is a good place. With both running, touch the case of the other with the other end of the wire. If no fuses blow, and the sparks aren't too spectacular, you might be OK. But this is expensive gear.
Running between different houses could be exciting too: running off different phases of the mains is not generally recommended.