PDA

View Full Version : werid prob

19-10-2001, 01:04 PM
i have got my new comp up and running(1.4 atho) however it has an annoying little prob. the panasonic floppy drive often fails on a cold boot.it dosn't do it with my ancient spare floppy drive. the suppliers have replaced it and it still does it just not as bad. i have turned off the floppy check in bios and that so far has fixed it. it almost seems that the comp boots faster than the drive can be checked hence the fail. has anyone esle had this??

i see xtra is up to its old tricks again, a couple of sites are not advailable yet they work fine with my paradise acc. go figure ;-)

19-10-2001, 02:10 PM
Hi Tweak'e, what you say about boot speed effect on the floppy drive could be true. When new the mechanism does tend to be stiffer than on an old one. Floppy drives are one of the few hardware devices that just havent been improved since the 3.5 inch first appeared. It is sometimes possible to increase the step-rate on an old drive to get faster reading/writing.
There is a useful package of floppy test/setting utilities called Floppy Tool Kit... YES it's DOS. You could run some of these to compare your new drive with the old, you may find a difference.
The package can be downloaded from a local Simtel ftp site as flpkit11.zip from:

ftp://ftp.anu.edu.au/pub/pc/simtelnet/msdos/diskutil/flpkit11.zip

Even if this is not the answer I'm sure you would like to see if you can tweak up the speed of your drive:-)

19-10-2001, 03:53 PM
I think you need to run that new computer in tweak'e.

You had better go slow on it for the first 50hrs or so, just to be safe.

19-10-2001, 06:48 PM
Aint the floppy had its day???