PDA

View Full Version : startup

17-10-2001, 09:33 PM
when i boot up my win95 machine it takes ages to put all of the icons on screen and if i go to change the sreen settings from the systray i get the error sound and my systray items disapear although the genius mouse seems to carry on working ok. this is a recent problem and may have been caused by an install which asked my wife to install one of the java functions but i am not sure.can anyone help ,i dont really want to do a re-install of win95

18-10-2001, 10:11 AM
It sounds like you may have a few different things loading up in the background when windows loads up. This is what slows it done, and proberbly causes the system tray to crash.

TO find out what is running in the background. Use a program like 'Control Panel Startup' from

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Then just untick what you don't think needs to be loaded.

Youll be amazed at how much faster your computer will run.

That should solve the problem.

18-10-2001, 08:56 PM
sorry alan but i only have a minimum running,that is nothing in the startup menu,and only genius mouse,volume and the video setting icon in systray and the only other thing is nortons poproxy for e-mail protection ,all of which has been running fine untill this latest happening so i ithink it goes a bit deeper,it does not appear to be the registry as i went back a few copies and i also replaced explorer.exe and the krnl32.exe but it has not improved so i must look further,thanks