PDA

View Full Version : More memory for Video Card

17-10-2001, 07:07 PM
Hi.
I am running a PC Company PC, PII466mhz, 128mb RAM, Win-98se.
I have a cheap video card that came with the PC, it is - Cirrus Logic 546X
1.71a Ver. 4.0.
As I am new to computers and how they work (I started ready your mag to
pick up some pointers) I was wondering, as I am a huge game fan, if I could
get my video card to use some of the 128mb RAM.
This is because I enjoy playing games on my computer, but the more recent
(and better) games will not work on my PC because it needs more memory.
So, is it possible to get my video card to use some of my RAM memory?
If so, how do you do it.
Thanks

17-10-2001, 08:21 PM
As far as I know and someone will correct me if im wrong but you can't really make your card use more ram than it has.

If your a keen gamer its worthwhile investing in a better card especially if you have a AGP slot on your motherboard.

Something like a Geforce2 MX would be a good choice as you'll get heaps of memory (32-64mb), and they are pretty cheap now.

17-10-2001, 08:26 PM
Some older video cards, could be upgraded by like a meg, but now you can't really, and it would work out dearer than a better card anyway.

17-10-2001, 08:55 PM
Caution

If you do decide to upgrade your video card make sure that your motherboard will support all its features. I attempted to go for a high end Asus card only to find my Mboard did not support many of the later features.

Ensure your supplier has full specs of your current system and make sure they guarantee compatibility or it could be an expensive disappointment.

Good luck.

17-10-2001, 09:13 PM
In the good 'ol days, VGA cards came with spare chip slots for memory upgrades which not many people used 'cos it's cheaper to get a higher spec'd card than upgrading the video RAM.
In your situation, it's better to get a new display card instead. The only situation that I'm aware where the m/board RAM is used for video is those m/board with integrated video card. That's typically found in notebooks.
So, check your m/board specs, and if you don't have an AGP slot, you can easily get a GeForce 2 PCI card which will make a big gaming difference to what you have now.
If you afford it, change the whole m/board too and get a more grunty CPU with a grunty AGP display card!