PDA

View Full Version : Linux (Mandrake)

17-10-2001, 11:44 AM
I read about Linux in PC World and it was the stimulus I had been looking for... I went out and bought MandrakeLinux.
I was trying to put Linux on to my hard drive separate to windows 98 ( I wasn't as bold as the author and couldn't bring myself to remove all traces of Windows!)

However.... installation proceeds OK until a message pops up saying
defrag at/usr/bin/perl_install/install_interactive.pm line 113.

I had defrag'd the C drive prior to installation, and repeated the defrag but no change in message.

This message came up when I tried to install on a second computer.
Can anyone help me here?

17-10-2001, 12:55 PM
which mandrake version is it?

17-10-2001, 02:29 PM
It was version 8.0

17-10-2001, 04:01 PM
I've seen windows defrag leave clusters at the end of the drive because they were in use.

Try running defrag from safe mode to get them.

17-10-2001, 04:33 PM
caveat: I use RedHat, but have used Linux a lot.
Did the install on the first machine work? You mention that this is on another.
That message is from the Perl interpreter, complaining about something which happens while running the install script.
I assume that it does not like one of the partitions. Did any messages come up while partitioning? Older RedHat install allowed a surface check while partitioning; RH7.1 doesn't, so maybe Mandrake has gone the same way, and you need to give the disk a good clean: 'format /u' from DOS on a floppy, then scandisk, or on a reinstall tell Mandrake to do the check.

17-10-2001, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the advice recieved so far,,,,
To be more specific, I was installing the 3 disk MandrakeLinux version 8.0 onto a 700MHz, 256 MB RAM, 20 GB HDD already running windows 98.
My understanding from the manual was that Linux would partition my HDD and I would be able to run both Windows 98 and Linux.
About half way through the loading of Linux it stops and gives the message I outlined at the start of this discussion.
Attempts to install on a second machine of similar specifications but running ME gives exactly the same message.

17-10-2001, 05:23 PM
Just thought I'd let you know... Mandrake 8.1 is now out of beta....Of course, you wouldn't want to download it with a 56k modem.

17-10-2001, 08:25 PM
Recently, I have become extremely concerned about the frequency of spontaneous installation failures in Mandrake. Mandrake is said to be the ideal starting point for new Linux users, yet Redhat and SuSE users do not appear to be having these hassles. Or is it just down to the fact that a higher proportion of people use Mandrake than other distributions?