PDA

View Full Version : factory installed Windows and Epson scanners

16-10-2001, 06:30 PM
The Epson Perfection 1640SU Photo scanner requires, for USB connection, a factory installed Windows 98 or 2000. Upgrades are specifically excluded. The UK Epson site applies the same restrictions to a SCSI connection.

The same restriction applies to the newer 1650 Photo scanner.

What is the basis for this restriction ?
What is the software workaround ?
Why has this restriction and its implications escaped so many hardware reviews ?

16-10-2001, 07:25 PM
Do you mean you need to use windows' included drivers?

17-10-2001, 05:44 PM
Could be that this is one way to enforce a recommended minumum hardware specification. This will stop people complaining that the scanner doen't work on their 386sx16 with 2MB ram.

18-10-2001, 07:48 PM
Untill now my best guess on Epsons requirement for USB and Windows 98 (factory installed} was something to do with FAT 32. My Google searches turned up Microsofts comments at ww..microsoft.com/hwdev/devdes/fat32preinstall.htm.

However I do not understand enough about the background of USB to determine the relevance of those comments. There seems to be an issue on data rates by USB that some sort of software patch could solve. Then all grades of '98 would be equal. This however remains an issue beyond my ken. Have you folks heard of such an issue?

19-10-2001, 03:08 PM
I did an extensive Google search on windows installation issues and found comments from Microsoft to PC assemblers on USB and Windows 98. The site is www.microsoft.com/hwdev/devdes/fat32preinstall.htm.

However I do not understand enough about USB development issues to determine the relevence of those comments. There seems to be an past problem with USB and FAT32. My thought (hope) is that a patch could be applied to make all grades of '98 equal in performance.

Have you folks heard of such an issue? Otherwise the use of high end Epson scanners requires obtaining a PC from a supplier. Upgrades and full installations from store-bought Windows 98 CDs will not do the job.