PDA

View Full Version : System resources

16-10-2001, 02:03 PM
I recently installed Macromedia's FreeHand 10 Trial edition on my Pentium 200MX with 96 MB ram. It runs very hesitantly and slowly on my somewhat modest hardware but I was suspicious of its long pauses before displaying menus. To my horror I discovered FH10 uses around 30% of available system resources on its own. Given that Win98 munches a fair whack of resources for itself and I have numerous applets for video, antivirus, firewall, cd rw etc all chugging away in the background, firing up FH10 basically gets the resources down to a level where weird behaviour happens.

My question is, can I increase the resources in any way, such as getting more ram, or are the resources a finite amount and I should just give FH10 the flick and get a less resource hungry graphics app?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Andy.

16-10-2001, 03:21 PM
You're not gonna have much luck with FH10 without more RAM and a faster CPU. FH10 is very system hungry - even on my 700 with 256mb of RAM it takes its time on occasions... I would never have dreamed of trying to run it on a system like yours :)

Try something like Paintshop Pro 7 for an alternative, although this may not be quite what you need (depends what you wanted FH for)

16-10-2001, 03:28 PM
Get more ram, if that doesn't work, don't worry, everything else will still work a bit faster, and it's so cheap now, you would be a fool not to get some more ram.

16-10-2001, 04:12 PM
OK. More ram it is. Will 133MHz sdram work on my sad 100MHz bus Pentium 200MMX, or do I have to spring for the older and more expensive 100MHz sdram?

And will the extra ram mean extra resources available? That figure I quoted wasn't a guess BTW, as I did a 'before & during' check using sysinfo and FH10 swallows up 30% of the available resources. Man that's greedy. I never heard of an app that uses that much of the SR until now. Photoshop is positively frugal in comparison :-D

Andy.

16-10-2001, 09:55 PM
Adding more ram won't affect your system resources (although the program will run a lot nicer), its a limitation of windows 9x.

Theres a description of what system resources are at:

http://www.infinisource.com/techfiles/win-resources.html

and

http://ww2.whidbey.net/djdenham/Window_memory.htm