PDA

View Full Version : vo.avi format?

16-10-2001, 01:04 AM
Does anyone know how this type of avi file can be
correctly played (or coverted
to Mpeg etc?)

Thanks

16-10-2001, 08:49 AM
vo? I'm guessing this is the file name. As for the .avi , these can be produced by heaps of different codecs. A common one to start with would be DivX.

16-10-2001, 09:42 AM
No, this appears to be a special .avi format. I could
find a few references to it
on searching the Net but nothing useful. I also tried using an avi to mpeg convertor program
on the file but it popped up
with an error 'unrecognised format'. Playing this particular movie gives sound
but no picture.

16-10-2001, 11:06 AM
one of the codec sites i ran into had a way of working out what codec it is. however the addy is on the back up comp at the mo;-(

try codec central or simaler site. hope that helps a tad.

16-10-2001, 11:30 AM
Hello Alan,

If you right click on the file and choose properties and then click on the details tab, it should tell you what codecs have been used to make the clip and if you are lucky exactly what player you need (most new clips now are using a variety of Divx codecs) otherwise just work it out from the codecs used to make it.
Some of the divx stuff can be tricky if you have an earlier version or beta version of divx, you may have to manually uninstall the codecs before the new ones will work, yet on other systems it will work just fine straight away, it's just a matter of working through it.
If you don't have any Divx as yet, grab the DivX MPEG4 DVD codec as it has backward compatability with earlier versions and is the format most new clips are using.

Alan