PDA

View Full Version : Looking at Freeview box output

bot
28-09-2011, 08:33 PM
Just because I was bored, I decided to connect an Aetna 0507 Freeview receiver to my W2K computer via serial port and saw what it outputted when I started it up. The results look quite interesting, though I don't know what on earth they mean! Unfortunately a quick Google search turned up nothing.

For your delectation: 3214

Speedy Gonzales
28-09-2011, 08:42 PM
Looks like its loading whats in the boot ROM / firmware and looking for updates (thats if its got ethernet, which it may have).

bot
28-09-2011, 08:50 PM
Nope, it doesn't have ethernet ;)

I think I need to type 'upg' or send a string of bytes while it's loading...

ubergeek85
28-09-2011, 09:11 PM
Looks like a fairly standard embedded system bootup terminal log.

First couple of lines aren't that important, just hex addresses of various places.

G_Booter is a fairly useful line, it's the bootstrap program, but google isn't being kind to me either.

Lines referring to UART upgrade seem to indicate that it's listening for the PC to send a command at that point to initiate a firmware upgrade (that's what those weird symbols will be). Since it doesn't get it, it fails and continues with the boot process.

Next thing that I can make sense of is that, from that point on, the code is compressed. It seems (to me at least) that the compressed code starts at 0x30000, it gets decompressed to 0x25F000, and has a compressed size of 0x8B415. It then confirms that it is valid compressed code, completes its operation, then jumps to 0x25F000 to start the main application.

Some quick maths seems to indicate that the compressed code is 570389 bytes, decompressed it's 773152 bytes.