PDA

View Full Version : Award Bootblock

14-10-2001, 09:32 PM
Went to bed and turned off my computer, and when morning comes i turn it on. only to see a message:
award bootblock

BIOS checksum error

something about booting from a:\ and then it says invalid system disk, insert system disk and press enter.
it has disabled AGP and its not even getting to the BIOS entry screen(where u press DEL) so it shows me its more serious than a 'boot disk' being in the drive, plus im not that slow with pc's. its a bootblock screen, hence the name 'bootblock' so it wont boot, as in i cant get into the CMOS or bios settings to change them.

Any ideas anyone?
so far i think i need to reflash the bios

14-10-2001, 10:22 PM
Hadn't it been agreed upon, that this was due to a flat battery?

14-10-2001, 10:40 PM
It doesn't sound too good. I assume the suggestions from your previous post didnt get you any further.

Have a look at this pdf file on the topic:

http://www.amptron.com/documents/Recover.pdf

You need to know your present bios details, ie the line of data at the bottom of the screen when you boot up, so that you can if necessary get hold of the correct bios flash file. (Good idea to make a note of this whilst everything is AOK.)

The bootblock is about 8k of the BIOS which is not supposed to be overwritten during flashing, so that if anything goes wrong there is an absolute minimum of OS that may be able to let you re-boot, and then re-flash.
It's even possible to re-flash without the video working.

Try typing award bootblock into google search for various links that may help or depress you!
Cheers

15-10-2001, 08:38 AM
Just a follow up to my previous post, (if in fact it's not a dead battery), If you can get the correct bios binary file for your system in the form 'yourbiosID.bin', then make up a boot floppy,and put on it the bios file also the flash program, eg awdflash.exe if its an Award bios, and an autoexec.bat file calling up the flash program with the appropriate switches. You can then try booting your computer from this and hope the bios gets flashed ok.

Of course it may just be a dead battery.

15-10-2001, 06:17 PM
well being a smart ass like you, i did all that before hand and even went at it with a weed wacker and clipped the edges of the bios, then compiled my own linux kernal and hacked the mainframe with a DoS attack. didnt u know?

also i got the duel power converter and flashed the hard ram with a 32bit megarom EPROX at rebitrth

dam newbies think they know

i flooded you mums port

15-10-2001, 08:19 PM
Great stuff Dan, I'm really into incoherence! Are you serious or are you seriously?

Better get your BIOS flashed.

Peter

16-10-2001, 01:51 AM
Sounds to me like the bios needs to be flashed,don,t know why it would have lost the data.
I just had the same thing happen to me, except I did it with a bad flash [ pushed the wrong key ] dumb ars!
The bootblock is a small space on the bios the has just enough data to boot a floppy,so you need a blank bootable floppy with the lastest bios file for your m\b
and the lastest award flash program,also if you want to do it the manual way ,you will have to fit a ISA video card so the monitor works and then you just do a flash as normal
that may not work ,the keyboard doesn,t always work,if thats the case you,ll have to make up an autoexec bat file to run the flash program automatically.
Can,t tell you how to do that,
couldn,t get it to work on mine,I did it manually
hope that helps

good luck