PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading RAM, Hard Drive @ Grahpics Card

13-10-2001, 06:10 PM
I have a Intel Pentium-II Celeron 300MMX CPU, 64MB Ram, and 4.3 GB Hard Drive. Have read Susan B info with interest re RAM & have to consider adding 128Mb @ $70 or 256Mb @ $109. Will upgrade to 20.0G Hard drive. My children complain about 'cruddy' graphics on online games. I have a 4MB Trident AGP Video card - is this the problem? I have been quoted a RIVA TNT 11 32mb AFP Graphics card for $154. Is this going to 'do the trick'? It's going to cost me $600+ to upgrade so I want to ensure I'm getting a reasonable computer - with a 3 yr old computer, I know I am 'buying time', but I don't want overkill. RAM, Hard drive and Graphics advice anyone?

13-10-2001, 06:40 PM
Ok, I would upgrade in this order:
1. RAM
2. Hard-Drive
as for the graphics card, I would upgrade this last in your case, as online games often do have poor graphics. This is a bandwidth limitation, not your graphics card.

... But graphics cards are pretty cheap at the moment...

:-) Dylan Cruickshank

13-10-2001, 07:29 PM
I would only get 128mb of ram.
It would give you 196mb total which will be ample. Anything more is overkill, and won't affect gaming.
But check what chipset your motherboard uses, some of the older intel ones (eg. LX) are very slow with more than 64mb of ram.

For the HDD, give it a good clean out first, preferably a clean install of everything. Then see if you really need any more space.

I wouldn't bother with the graphics card, save the money for your next computer. The processor is probably more of a bottleneck anyway.

13-10-2001, 07:52 PM
Do lots of shopping around and comparing of prices for everything, as the prices you've quoted seem to be a bit on the high side. I got a TNT2 card for $108 incl GST a while ago, so $154 is IMHO a bit too much... you can get RAM for around the $50 mark as well.

13-10-2001, 08:33 PM
I agree with all above.But just check to be sure your motherboard has got an AGP socket. PCI video cards are getting a bit hard to get these days and can be expensive for the performance they deliver when compared to AGP cards.

Good Luck

==Orac==

13-10-2001, 09:10 PM
what cpu do u have? p2 or celeron?

128 ram will make a decent improvement. just check your motherboard first for any known incompatabities.

a new hard drive if you need the space. you will get an increase in speed but it depends on what progs u use.

'as for the graphics card, I would upgrade this last in your case, as online games often do have poor graphics. This is a bandwidth limitation, not your graphics card' BULL! ! with a 4meg card u are proberly playing games in software mode which looks like crap. get a decent vid card. the cheapest would proberly be a tntm64. keep an eye on prices though as you can get a geforce2mx for about the same price as a tnt2.

cheers ;-)

14-10-2001, 09:00 AM
I'd forget the upgrades for $600.00 plus and think more seriously about a new computer.

I don't think a 3yr old board will run at 66ATA in which case that computer will never get going.

You are probably better off to keep it, to network to the new computer. The kids will have more fun with that.

15-10-2001, 05:11 PM
Hi Elle,

I've done the ram upgrade and am absolutely thrilled with the results. So much so that I'm now in no hurry at all for a new faster computer, as the speed improvement has been amazing. You will notice an improvement too, but probably not quite as much as me, since I started with 32mb ram. It would still be WELL worth doing!

I got 128mb Kingmax SDRAM PC 133 from Ascent www.ascent.co.nz/ which was delivered the next morning (as long as you order before 4pm) and added it to my 32mb and the two work together giving me a total of 160mb.

Just do it!!