PDA

View Full Version : Help me write a book!

01-10-2001, 09:30 AM
I'm writing a book on
email marketing and I must get my facts right. I need help on Four questions.

1) What are the main html viewing differences between Microsoft 97 and Microsoft 2000?

2) Further - do html emails arrive as attachments that need to be clicked open through a browser in outlook and outlook express (inboxes) for individuals on versions
prior to Office 2000?

I know that in 2000, html emails open straight
in the preview pane

3) What percentage of corporate firewalls in NZ and Australia would you guess strip attachments including html headers?

4) Does anyone know if one of the normal features of corporate firewalls around the world is to prohibit the running of ActiveX in incoming emails?
I know ActiveX is a component used in some emails incorporating Flash.

Our ZoneAlarm software stops
emails using ActiveX dead in their tracks. We are required to give several additional clicks to allow them through our minor firewall.

thanks!!!!
Debbie Mayo-Smith
https://www.successis.co.nz

01-10-2001, 10:16 AM
hi Debbie,
you are out of your depth if you are needing to ask these sort of questions in this forum. Do your own research.
Activex controls in a spam message? Sounds terrible.

01-10-2001, 02:13 PM
I agree with Mr Troll - any spam is bad spam and html spam with activex - grrrr

'Marketing' has a lot to answer for

02-10-2001, 11:54 AM
As a marketing student, I can say with a fair level of confidence that no book on email marketing would include technical specifics.
Microsoft 97 & 2000??? Microsoft is a company not a product, and it has definately put out more than one product in each of those years.
If I had to place a bet, my guess would be that someone is wanting to create a spam email message that can get past corporate firewalls, and is hoping to put some sort of ActiveX control in it, which of course will run automatically when the email is viewed in the preview pane, whether they open the email or not (Reason numero uno why preview pane is a BAD BAD BAD thing).
Now that I think about it, it sounds rather a lot like an email virus if not spam....
Good luck getting ANY technical person to provide you with instructions on how to spam people.