PDA

View Full Version : HELP - any tips for getting restricted licence?!?

Miss Daisy
16-11-2010, 10:17 PM
i'm new here so hi there! :punk

im in wellington and i am planning to go for my restricted licence very soon. im wondering if you have any handy tips or let me know what you got tested on - im nervous, im a confident driver when i do, but tests scare the be-jeebers out of me!

i will probably end up taking the test in porirua too.

thanks for any of your tips in advance!

:clap

jareemon
16-11-2010, 10:33 PM
yea, take the test in a small place on a quiet time of the day.
make sure you turn your head when youre looking around, dont just move your eyes, otherwise the instructor will think youre not looking.
Make sure you've got the 3 point turn nailed, particularly using the indicators properly during the turn
(its quite complex, i think you indicate to pull over, checking rear vision before indicating and before slowing down, then pull over, then look behind you AND in the rear vision mirror, then indicate right, look again, pull out and do the 1st turn, then when you get to the kerb, look both ways including behing you (for padestrians etc) then indicate the other way then look again then reverse, then scan around you, indicate right again and go.)
dont forget to look in your rear vision mirror before you indicate to turn, before you begin to slow down.
Also make sure your car is nice and clean, make sure all your lights etc work, and that the car is in warrantable shape, keep the radio and your phone off.
Dont forget your L plates, you still have to 'wear' them for the test.

Lastly, on the day, the most important thing is to relax, and take your time.

jareemon
16-11-2010, 10:35 PM
And almost forgot, Welcome to PF1! :)

lagbort
17-11-2010, 06:41 AM
I did mine in porirua and the guy failed me the first time for something I didn't actually do, and on my full licence a different guy tried to tell me I had been in the wrong lane on a round-about, when the arrows said i was in the right, however i still passed... apparently there is no right of redress for any of these. So make sure you 110% drive carefully.

always stay 5km/h under the posted speed limit as even going 1km/h over they can fail you.

make sure you use your mirrors BLATANTLY, even if you dont normally need to actually turn your head to use the rear view mirror, make a show of doing it every time.

overall just exude confidence, drive like a grandma and follow the instructors advice to the letter and you should be fine.

i have heard however that upper hutt is the place to go for restricted tests, that it is pretty much a drive around the block

xyz823
17-11-2010, 06:46 AM
Don't speed
Accelerate at a reasonable speed - Don't throw him back in his seat but also don't go to slow - especially when entering the 80kmh zone.
Indicate correctly and for the required time limit.
When going to pull out or do the 3pt turn, actually turn your head right around and check your blind spot.
Ditto what everyone else has said regarding checking mirrors, move you head and make it fairly obvious.
When I did mine, he said I didn't check my mirrors enough when turning at traffic lights and roundabouts, still passed.

You could try booking an instructor and have them take you on a practice test.

Miss Daisy
17-11-2010, 07:10 AM
OMG guys - what a fabulous forum!

Thanks so much for your feedback - I am nervous, but in saying that, when I drive, I do feel confident, just in test situation, it's quite daunting.

For the restricted, do they test on reversing and parallel parking? And can they fail you for these areas?

Upper Hutt - hmmmm, I was thinking Porirua, but good to know about Upper Hutt. I will call and make a time - eeeek!

Again, you guys rock!

MDx

pcuser42
17-11-2010, 07:21 AM
I got my restricted after driving for about ten minutes around Manukau. I didn't even have to do any reversing or parking (except at the end). :D

Although he did say my "gap selection" needed work.

Trev
17-11-2010, 07:29 AM
What restricted. Unheard of in my day. Just went out with the cop in my brothers old Humber 80 and did it. Instant pass.
:)

prefect
17-11-2010, 07:33 AM
You poor young huas.
In 1970 on by 15th birthday I went for my licence, had a note to leave class (Mot High) walk down town sit theory. Mum turns up with 1962 MK11 Zephyr traffic cop gets me to turn right at Swan hotel past mot high right turn and then right turn right turn at Post Office Hotel park outside cop office about 5 empty carparks in a row.
Done full licence a week later same again with motorbike cop stands outside on road ride bike to Rothmans clock tower and back all I had to do was make the trip there and back.
Done full bike licence and later I buy a 1970 Norton Commando Roadster first car 1954 Ford 100e Anglia.
And gun licence when I turned 16 it was compulsory for boys to do it.

Trev
17-11-2010, 07:46 AM
For my full motorbike licence after having a learners one for 6 months the cops never had a spare car ( yes they use to follow you around in a car. Don't know whether they do the same today.) the cop said just go down to the end of the street and do a 360 in the middle of the road and come back. Full motorbike licence pass.

xyz823
17-11-2010, 08:00 AM
For the restricted, do they test on reversing and parallel parking? And can they fail you for these areas?

I think it just depends on how much time you have. Some instructors do, some don't. Although I have only heard of one person that has had to do a parallel park.

jareemon
17-11-2010, 08:22 AM
drive like a grandma and... you should be fine.

Not a really old grandma, a relatively young grandma, otherwise you'll just crash into everything you see :rolleyes:

OMG guys - what a fabulous forum!

Thanks so much for your feedback - I am nervous, but in saying that, when I drive, I do feel confident, just in test situation, it's quite daunting.

Upper Hutt - hmmmm, I was thinking Porirua, but good to know about Upper Hutt. I will call and make a time - eeeek!

Again, you guys rock!

MDx

They usually do reversing, but it will probably be on a quiet urban road, make sure you're looking over your shoulder while you reverse.
Sometimes they do parallel parking, but they didn't for me, which I was disappointed about because that was the one thing I was good at :D

I got my restricted after driving for about ten minutes around Manukau. I didn't even have to do any reversing or parking (except at the end).

My friend went for his restricted test, and just when he started, the instructor's wife called him on his mobile, and he was saying stuff to his wife like "I'll be home at 4" and "what's for dinner?" All the while just pointing to my friend where to drive. He ended up talking to his wife for the whole test and didn't actually test him on anything. Needless to say, he passed with flying colours.

Billy T
17-11-2010, 08:42 AM
Apart from all the good advice given (except for that about driving at 5km/hr under the limit, as that can get you failed for impeding other traffic) be wary of attempts to get you to do something illegal. My daughter was told to do a 3-point turn too close to a blind corner, she refused and said why. She got a big tick for not yielding to pressure. My son did his just a week ago and was told to stop on a no stopping line, Forewarned, he refused and also passed.

That may be a peculiarity of the particular testing office they both used, but it is worth knowing. You can say no if you judge the request to be unsafe or illegal, but give your reasons.

Back to speed, most speedos read fast, all of our cars are doing 47km/hr or less at an indicated 50 (as checked on numerous roadside radar displays, including a brand new one just around the corner from home, and I can't believe they arer all reading incorrectly. I checked the new one at 60Km/hr on cruise control and it registered 56, which is well inside the 10 k allowance (but not during driving tests!!!) same as for all the others I have checked
against.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

pcuser42
17-11-2010, 08:49 AM
For my full motorbike licence after having a learners one for 6 months the cops never had a spare car ( yes they use to follow you around in a car. Don't know whether they do the same today.) the cop said just go down to the end of the street and do a 360 in the middle of the road and come back. Full motorbike licence pass.

When Dad went for his motorbike licence, it was raining, and the instructer didn't want to go out in the rain, so told him to go around the block. He passed. :D

He also managed to get his truck licence in a truck that wasn't even road legal. It wasn't his fault the previous truck was written off - and that guy passed as well :lol:

My friend went for his restricted test, and just when he started, the instructor's wife called him on his mobile, and he was saying stuff to his wife like "I'll be home at 4" and "what's for dinner?" All the while just pointing to my friend where to drive. He ended up talking to his wife for the whole test and didn't actually test him on anything. Needless to say, he passed with flying colours.

:lol: :lol:

rob_on_guitar
17-11-2010, 09:19 AM
I recently had to get a retest as L&T had me listed as deceased for the last 6 years (amazing the cops who fined me didnt see that, but apparently they run off two different systems), so eventually i had to do the eye sight test and a quick drive to get my licenses back, free of charge with a letter of apology for making me dead (hilarious).
Anyways the drive way easy, although I was a bit nervous of the guy watching my every move, he did say although he saw me checking side streets with my eyes etc he did say to actually move my head. But besides that all we did was drive around the block, 3 point turn and a normal side park. Over in 5 - 10 mins, just use your mirrors, when you reverse just actually physically look behind you, use common sense and you should be fine.

jareemon
17-11-2010, 09:24 AM
Yea they do follow you around in a car, and they tell you where to go and what to do before setting off... only now its not the cops its the vhicle liscense tester people. :)

with a letter of apology for making me dead (hilarious).
:lol:

rob_on_guitar
17-11-2010, 09:25 AM
Back to speed, most speedos read fast, all of our cars are doing 47km/hr or less at an indicated 50 (as checked on numerous roadside radar displays, including a brand new one just around the corner from home, and I can't believe they arer all reading incorrectly. I checked the new one at 60Km/hr on cruise control and it registered 56, which is well inside the 10 k allowance (but not during driving tests!!!)

Billy 8-{)

I have also found this to be true.

tweak'e
17-11-2010, 04:56 PM
i'm new here so hi there! :punk

im in wellington and i am planning to go for my restricted licence very soon. im wondering if you have any handy tips or let me know what you got tested on - im nervous, im a confident driver when i do, but tests scare the be-jeebers out of me!

i will probably end up taking the test in porirua too.

thanks for any of your tips in advance!

:clap

there really is no tips.
frankly the tests are too easy and you do not do anything you havn't already done in public.
so relax, go drive and you will pass.

Miss Daisy
17-11-2010, 09:26 PM
Again thanks so much!

Jareemon - do you mean 'quiet part of the day' being early morning? I'm looking at the days these places are open around the areas in Wellington and most don't do Saturdays - bugger!

Shiver - still nervous, but breathing a lot better and actually looking forward to taking the plunge!

jareemon
17-11-2010, 09:36 PM
there really is no tips.
frankly the tests are too easy and you do not do anything you havn't already done in public.
so relax, go drive and you will pass.
tweakie, that is the worst advice i've ever heard :rolleyes:

Again thanks so much!

Jareemon - do you mean 'quiet part of the day' being early morning? I'm looking at the days these places are open around the areas in Wellington and most don't do Saturdays - bugger!

Shiver - still nervous, but breathing a lot better and actually looking forward to taking the plunge!
When I say quiet I mean when the city streets are at their quietest, which means not lunchtime, not early morning, not late afternoon, so probably about 2pm or 10am, but go for a time like 10:15 or 2:15 so at to avoid the traffic spikes every hour, and definitly before 3pm when school finishes.

jareemon
17-11-2010, 09:40 PM
most don't do Saturdays - bugger!

It would certainly be worthwhile finding a place that is open on saturdays, in which case go for as early as possible.

Are you doing it in your own car?

Miss Daisy
18-11-2010, 06:13 AM
Good times there Jareemon - those times was what I was thinking!

Yes am using own car, its hard to escape during work hours so was a bit gutted no one really opens on Saturdays! The one in the city is the only one and I'm not keen on doing this in the city. I have only just noticed that Kilbirnie take tests, I dont know if you know if this is a good area to test, but am semi familiar with area - this making it easier?!

I'm looking at this site for places... http://www.nzta.govt.nz/licence/getting/where-to-go/where-to-go-wellington.html

cheers!
MDx

Safari
18-11-2010, 06:34 AM
Kilbirnie is a great place for a test, no traffic or parking problems. You start at the kilbirnie library and they take you down to Lyall bay and through the airport and back to Kilbirnie. If you are not sure of the route just take a drive with one of the local driving instructers so you get to know the lanes to use, where the lights and roundabouts are.

coldfront
18-11-2010, 07:47 AM
Ohakune of all places, no traffic lights, no parking problems and no Traffic (except peak ski season). To think people gain a full licence in places like that and there must be many small towns around the country just like that.

If you pass your test in a busy city then in my books you passed a test unlike the rural handouts. Good luck to you!

jareemon
18-11-2010, 09:49 AM
Good times there Jareemon - those times was what I was thinking!

Yes am using own car, its hard to escape during work hours so was a bit gutted no one really opens on Saturdays! The one in the city is the only one and I'm not keen on doing this in the city. I have only just noticed that Kilbirnie take tests, I dont know if you know if this is a good area to test, but am semi familiar with area - this making it easier?!

Ok, good that you're using your own car, there's nothing worse than taking the test in a car that you're not familiar with, testers don't like it when you bunny hop :D

Killbernie looks like a great place to do it, they'll probably take you onto Cobham dr, make sure you look over your shoulder before you indicate to change lanes.
The fact that you're familiar with the area is great, means you'll be more comfortable. Just don't get too comfortable when your spotting hazards out loud. When they get you to spot hazards, say EVERY hazard even the slightest ones.

My dad lives in that area (works at the beehive), picked me up from the airport last year on my way through. Nice place, cool orange spikey thing :) Was perfect weather that day too, surprisingly.

wratterus
18-11-2010, 02:53 PM
A car coming up behind you at an intersection is also a hazard. FYI. :p

nerd
18-11-2010, 04:14 PM
Don't stress about it, it's really easy to pass. I did it. One thing is to always check blind spots when you're changing lanes, I got called out for that. Also, she made me parallel park, make sure you kinda know how to do it. Speeding up for the 80k zone, make sure you are past the sign when you start speeding up.

jareemon
18-11-2010, 08:47 PM
If you see roadworks, slow down to 30 even if there are no signs. Also if you see a bus parked at a bus stop, slow right down to like 10kmh as you pass it (or might be 20kmh)

If you're worried about not passing, look into getting a lesson. It'll only cost ya $70 odd for an hour, and that's really all you need, they'll take you around the same course that the instructor will and tell you how to pass.

Nomad
18-11-2010, 08:51 PM
If you see roadworks, slow down to 30 even if there are no signs. Also if you see a bus parked at a bus stop, slow right down to like 10kmh as you pass it (or might be 20kmh)

If you're worried about not passing, look into getting a lesson. It'll only cost ya $70 odd for an hour, and that's really all you need, they'll take you around the same course that the instructor will and tell you how to pass.

I took more lessons than that.
Many people would'nt feel comfortable without dual controls esp at the start :D

tweak'e
18-11-2010, 09:21 PM
tweakie, that is the worst advice i've ever heard :rolleyes:

When I say quiet I mean when the city streets are at their quietest, which means not lunchtime, not early morning, not late afternoon, so probably about 2pm or 10am, but go for a time like 10:15 or 2:15 so at to avoid the traffic spikes every hour, and definitly before 3pm when school finishes.

seriously jareemon, your tell me that i give bad advise and you give out crap like that :(
well you just made the person fail and that advice would get them killed one day.
i would really love to see you come up here, drive like that and see how long you live for.

roadworks, take at sensible speed. if theres a speed limit obey the speed limit. if theres no speed limit don't slow right down because they will fail you straight away and the guy behind you will probably run you off the road and the next 20 cars will be honking horns and abusing the crap out of ya.
drive at a sensible speed.
same for a bus, slowdown to the proper speed when passing a school bus. if you slow down for any old bus you will fail and probably get **** from all the other cars not to mention entice all the crazies to do stupid stuff.

Miss Daisy, you should by now already know all the basics that they will be checking for. so why nitpick over things that you will not ever get tested on. all that will do is make you more nervous which is when you will stuff things up.
so relax, go drive.

btw most places you have to book in for the test so you often can't pick a time or day so take anything that you can.
one tip.......be early.

now before you start giving me a hard time.....
i had to take a relative to do his recently. he had next to no training. everyone gave him a hard time so he was nervous as hell. i had one day to teach him enough to pass.
he passed first time (during a busy day, no nice empty back country town) and without going through all the crap most have mentioned here.

the test is the easy part, driving in the real world after passing the test is the hard part.

lordnoddy
19-11-2010, 08:38 AM
Hey MD,

I just sat mine in August this year. Was buying a new car and a term/condition if you're on your L's and under 25 you must do a licence upgrade to take the car off the lot. The only thing about it was I had to drive a car from the lot (not the one I was buying). So I was nervious as h3ll because I had never driven the car and didn't have a feel for it. But I still past dispite having a bad instructor, who told me to *IGNORE* a Road Works 30km speed limit sign! Hello I'm trying to pass my driving test and your telling me to ignore road signs!? Then blamed me that a Holden flew around the corner behind me and almost rear ended me haha.

You'll be fine - Just drive, stay calm, keep checking the blind spots and check the rear view mirror every 3 - 5 seconds.

Good luck - let us know how you get on!

~Lord_Noddy~

Paul.Cov
19-11-2010, 08:49 AM
I'd be more interested in giving advise on how to KEEP a learners licence, coz it seems way too many folk immediately flout the rules, burn rubber, drive mates at night, drive after hours, hoon, drink & drive...

Don't be a dickhead! Rules are rules. Obey them 100%.

Billy T
19-11-2010, 11:48 AM
But I still past dispite having a bad instructor, who told me to *IGNORE* a Road Works 30km speed limit sign! Hello I'm trying to pass my driving test and your telling me to ignore road signs!?
~Lord_Noddy~

Did you slow down? Sounds like the 'passenger pressure' test that my daughter and son encountered (mentioned earlier in this thread). They stuck to the letter of the law, refused to stop as instructed, and passed ok.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Trev
19-11-2010, 12:36 PM
Yeah I thought the same, he was trying you out.

roddy_boy
19-11-2010, 12:52 PM
I like MDxx.

lordnoddy
19-11-2010, 01:08 PM
Yeah I slowed down. I wasn't going to risk it. I'd been warned prior about this particular guy though - apparently he aims to fail people.

Now I have my Toyota Will VS 2001 - Silver, Tinted windows, Twin Big Bore Exausts, as low as legal limit and drives like a dream <3

roddy_boy
19-11-2010, 01:11 PM
What a cool guy.

ubergeek85
19-11-2010, 03:25 PM
What a cool guy.

What a useful post.

SP8's
19-11-2010, 03:53 PM
I'd be more interested in giving advise on how to KEEP a learners licence, coz it seems way too many folk immediately flout the rules, burn rubber, drive mates at night, drive after hours, hoon, drink & drive...

Like you never did that on your penny farthing bike Paul :D

coldfront
19-11-2010, 03:57 PM

Very good and easily forgotten advice.

jareemon
19-11-2010, 06:29 PM
seriously jareemon, your tell me that i give bad advise and you give out crap like that :(
well you just made the person fail and that advice would get them killed one day.
i would really love to see you come up here, drive like that and see how long you live for.

roadworks, take at sensible speed. if theres a speed limit obey the speed limit. if theres no speed limit don't slow right down because they will fail you straight away and the guy behind you will probably run you off the road and the next 20 cars will be honking horns and abusing the crap out of ya.
drive at a sensible speed.
same for a bus, slowdown to the proper speed when passing a school bus. if you slow down for any old bus you will fail and probably get **** from all the other cars not to mention entice all the crazies to do stupid stuff.

why nitpick over things that you will not ever get tested on. all that will do is make you more nervous which is when you will stuff things up.
so relax, go drive.

i had to take a relative to do his recently. he had next to no training...
i had one day to teach him enough to pass...

without going through all the crap most have mentioned here.
Your friend must've had a cruisy tester, because these days the test involve much more than simply seeing if you can drive in a relaxed manner. They test you on specific things, some of these things can be dificult to pick up. The fact that you would tell someone to not worry and just drive, is indeed the worst piece of advice you could give a student driver. why dont you just go and tell a student pilot to just go with the flow and do what he feels like? This is the real world, and in the real world, there are real rules that MUST be followed for EVERYONE'S safety. I dont know how old you are or how long ago you took the restricted/full driving test, but before you suggest that one DISREGARDS THE LAW, you better be aware that bad advice can kill someone.
If one comes to roadworks that are not signposted, it is THE LAW to slow down regardless. I'm not saying one must slam on their brakes so as to cause an accident it's pretty obvious that one should slow down carfully and again it is the law that one looks in their rear vision mirror before slowing down.

Bottom line, before you give advice, about road safety, you better know the laws.

Paul.Cov
19-11-2010, 08:00 PM
Like you never did that on your penny farthing bike Paul :D

Seems it's now called 'man-trol'.

We oldies call it common sense... just not very common among those aged 15-25.

I have a mate who's son has written off 3 or more cars - I lose count.
He's about $40K down the hole to finance companies, and now uninsurable, and he continues to buy 'flashy' (ie dickhead) cars and trash them within a few months of getting them.

I dunno what he thinks he's proving in doing all this, or who he thinks he's impressing, but he needs to grow up and learn that there's more to being a man than being able to press a throttle to the floor. After all, his grandmother could do that!

tweak'e
19-11-2010, 10:20 PM
Your friend must've had a cruisy tester, because these days the test involve much more than simply seeing if you can drive in a relaxed manner. They test you on specific things, some of these things can be dificult to pick up. The fact that you would tell someone to not worry and just drive, is indeed the worst piece of advice you could give a student driver. why dont you just go and tell a student pilot to just go with the flow and do what he feels like? This is the real world, and in the real world, there are real rules that MUST be followed for EVERYONE'S safety. I dont know how old you are or how long ago you took the restricted/full driving test, but before you suggest that one DISREGARDS THE LAW, you better be aware that bad advice can kill someone.
If one comes to roadworks that are not signposted, it is THE LAW to slow down regardless. I'm not saying one must slam on their brakes so as to cause an accident it's pretty obvious that one should slow down carfully and again it is the law that one looks in their rear vision mirror before slowing down.

Bottom line, before you give advice, about road safety, you better know the laws.

you missed the bus completely or need to take the bus (bad pun intended).

THEY HAVE ALREADY BEEN TAUGHT EVERYTHING THEY NEED TO KNOW BEFORE HAND. nothing you can say will change that.

yes they test specific things. however the driver has already been taught those things and has been doing those things in their driving.
so why try and make them over think the situations?? they are not going to remember ANYTHING that has been said here. they are relying on what they have been previously taught. there is nothing you or i can do about it.

now the biggest cause of people stuffing things up is because they get nervous, try to remember bits and pieces which screws their concentration which makes them do the tasks incorrectly. hence they get failed.
telling them a whole bunch of crap before they do a test serves only to make them nervous. hence the relax and go drive.
the main thing is for them to relax and do exactly what they have been practising.

the worse thing that can happen is their teacher didn't teach them something, they fail and have to go away, learn how to drive and repeat the test.
a bit more practise and a bit more education is not really a bad thing to have before they get let loose on roads and start mixing it up with you and i.

its not illegal to do full road speed through road works if thats the posted speed limit. there is no law requiring you to slow down.
as i did mentioned before, you still have to be sensible and drive to the conditions, just like if there wasn't any road works.

most importantly, if the road works are not signposted how do you know its road works ?
most roads around here look like roadworks permanently. what are you going to do, slow down for every bit that might be roadworks ??
you would get overtaken by everybody, even run off the road, tons of angry people tooting at you and plenty reporting you to police as a drunk driver.

you should never find roadworks that do not have a speed limit posted. the crews or traffic management have rules about what speed signs get put up, what distance they are from work site etc.
sometimes you get crews who do it on the cheap and don't hire the signs etc. report them to police as its dangerous and illegal for them not to be signposted. i have had a couple of them myself over the years.

also in a lot of cases the roadwork crews will finish for the day (or even part day), remove the signs and revert the speed limit back to normal so traffic is not unnecessarily inconvenienced. i have been driving through one like that for the last month. no one slows down unless its signposted, not even the cop car i was following.

there is also no legal requirement for you to look in the mirror before slowing down. its a legal requirement for the car behind you to not hit you, not the other way around.

it sounds like you have been inventing BS rules for yourself.

roddy_boy
20-11-2010, 12:06 PM
Yeah tweak'e is on to it here. Just be sensible. When I did my restricted I passed a vehicle on a double yellow line, which is illegal, and the tester didn't bat an eye.

coldfront
20-11-2010, 12:26 PM
When I did my restricted I passed a vehicle on a double yellow line, which is illegal, and the tester didn't bat an eye.

That explains a lot given what I see often on the road!

If you dont get picked up on that during your test then why worry about it later on when you got the piece of plastic that you think claims you can drive.

Proves that the driver testing standard is a JOKE!!!:mad:

roddy_boy
20-11-2010, 01:19 PM
Pffft come on mate. Be realistic here. It was a tractor, in a 50kph area, no oncoming traffic, and everyone does it. Try get out of the city and drive on some real roads once in awhile.

Miss Daisy
21-11-2010, 11:25 PM
Hey guys, I don't mean to start a fight here - I really do appreciate your time and advice.

I am nervous yes, but to tell you the truth, chatting to you guys has given me a sense of confidence - I don't even know you, but it's true. I am not a teenager getting their license that's for sure, reason I never got it then was I never had the confidence, until now.

So tomorrow, I've got the day off work and am going to the AA to fill out the papers and pay the whopping fee and make a date! Nervous? GOD YES! But I need to do this, I enjoy driving now, and just really want those 'L' plates off my freaking window!

Thanks guys - appreciate you all!

MDx

coldfront
22-11-2010, 09:59 AM
Pffft come on mate. Be realistic here. It was a tractor, in a 50kph area, no oncoming traffic, and everyone does it. Try get out of the city and drive on some real roads once in awhile.

No excuse not even on a 100kph road of which I do happen to drive mostly living in a RURAL Location and NOT in a city.

So you think passing a bus travelling at 90kph on double yellows would be ok as well? I see that happening a lot. Seems to me you impatiant that you have to pass on double yellows in a 50kph area what else you not told us about the circumstances that allowed the tester to pass you for that infringement?

Either way it is not ok to pass on double yellow lines if it can be avoided to do so.

coldfront
22-11-2010, 10:03 AM
Hey guys, I don't mean to start a fight here - I really do appreciate your time and advice.

I am nervous yes, but to tell you the truth, chatting to you guys has given me a sense of confidence - I don't even know you, but it's true. I am not a teenager getting their license that's for sure, reason I never got it then was I never had the confidence, until now.

So tomorrow, I've got the day off work and am going to the AA to fill out the papers and pay the whopping fee and make a date! Nervous? GOD YES! But I need to do this, I enjoy driving now, and just really want those 'L' plates off my freaking window!

MDx

If you got the confidence and do well because of it then it shows you listened. Just remeber passing the test is just the first step in a long road of driving. If people remebered what they had to do for the test they sure as hell would be better drivers if they continued that standard.

Going to say this and admit that since being in New Zealand my driving standards have gone downhill.

pcuser42
22-11-2010, 10:04 AM
No excuse not even on a 100kph road of which I do happen to drive mostly living in a RURAL Location and NOT in a city.

So you think passing a bus travelling at 90kph on double yellows would be ok as well? I see that happening a lot. Seems to me you impatiant that you have to pass on double yellows in a 50kph area.

Just because it's popular doesn't make it right: just because it's right doesn't make it popular.

[/quoteoftheday]

DeSade
22-11-2010, 10:04 AM

MDx

Hehe
Don't worry about the argument, one of the "button" issues on this forum is road and road-users, people get passionate about their own views on this but we all remain relatively friendly. :clap

roddy_boy
22-11-2010, 01:11 PM

So you think passing a bus travelling at 90kph on double yellows would be ok as well? I see that happening a lot. Seems to me you impatiant that you have to pass on double yellows in a 50kph area what else you not told us about the circumstances that allowed the tester to pass you for that infringement?

Either way it is not ok to pass on double yellow lines if it can be avoided to do so.

Lol whatever mate. You wouldn't survive 10 seconds without traffic lights telling you when it's safe to go if this is how you think the real world operates.

There was a tractor driving along the road, he was quite hard left but you had to cross the centre line to get past safely. There were about 10 of us in the queue behind him, got to a point when you could see all the way to town so everyone drove past him. I suppose you're Mr Road Safety so you would have stayed sitting behind him holding up the rest of the town who just wanted to get to the supermarket before it closes. (When you're not in a city, supermarkets aren't 24 hours).

You sound like a pretty cool guy bro.

coldfront
22-11-2010, 03:03 PM
Just because it's popular doesn't make it right: just because it's right doesn't make it popular.

[/quoteoftheday]

I like that let me add another

Just because a murder gets away with murder once does not mean to say it is right to become a mass murderer.

coldfront
22-11-2010, 03:23 PM
Lol whatever mate. You wouldn't survive 10 seconds without traffic lights telling you when it's safe to go if this is how you think the real world operates.

whats a traffic light? None around here to hold me up in my daily drive :punk

I suppose you're Mr Road Safety so you would have stayed sitting behind him holding up the rest of the town who just wanted to get to the supermarket before it closes. (When you're not in a city, supermarkets aren't 24 hours).

You sound like a pretty cool guy bro.

So you disobey the road rules to save a few seconds to suit your purpose do you? Got to love those last minute shoppers who prevent the staff going home on time :annoyed:

nerd
22-11-2010, 04:17 PM
Good luck, tell us when you win :D