PDA

View Full Version : Gaming Is Bad

pctek
06-09-2010, 11:58 AM
Again:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn19399-computer-games-may-be-spawning-reckless-drivers.html

Sigh. My son played everything and anything from the age of 6. Now he likes gangster games and strategy mainly. Never caused him to run amok.
I just finished a game - there was a driving component in it - if I drove like that for real I'd be a smear on the road now. I was a smear on the road in the game a few times, well not really, just had to reload a couple of times or so.

Will be buying Rage next week when it's out, that has driving too - with guns. Can't see me suddenly translating that into real life.

No doubt some gamers do drive like idiots but I doubt it's cause of the games......

SKT174
06-09-2010, 12:10 PM
I wanna play Mafia II ...

mikebartnz
06-09-2010, 12:21 PM
There are those that are balanced and those that are unbalanced but I do suspect they are right as so many young today have less parental control so their gaming doesn't get balanced.

pctek
06-09-2010, 02:56 PM
There are those that are balanced and those that are unbalanced but I do suspect they are right as so many young today have less parental control so their gaming doesn't get balanced.

Meaning?
Like I said, my son played everything. It was all new then so I never censored, we just played whatever.

Didn't make him drive like an idiot or become an axe murderer - which is the other thing, they always blame violence on gaming too.
Rubbish. Like comics used to get the blame for some peoples actions.......

06-09-2010, 03:16 PM
those that are 'unbalanced' would have a higher level of antisocial/illegal behavior regardless.

Its just a headline grabbing, copout for those that dont want to adress the real causes of increased crime/anti social behaviour.

Look at the countries with out of control crime. There would be less people playing these games there-with an corresponding increase in crime, so using the same reasoning ....
these games actually cause a decrease in crime etc, compared to those who arnt gamers.

I actually blame Elvis.
We were all warned of his negative influence 40 years ago, now look at the state of the world.
90% of all crims have heard his music. The facts speak for themsleves

faith1806
06-09-2010, 06:19 PM
yeah, i agree with u, most of the time Gaming Is Bad

Greg
07-09-2010, 08:17 PM
yeah, i agree with u, most of the time Gaming Is Bad
Bad?

As in... its hard to get a good fast server? Or bad as in gaming hurts people? Or as in... oh no... sometimes people lose in games? Or... wtf are you on about?

jd2759
07-09-2010, 08:19 PM
Bad?

As in... its hard to get a good fast server? Or bad as in gaming hurts people? Or as in... oh no... sometimes people lose in games? Or... wtf are you on about?

Agreed

The Error Guy
07-09-2010, 08:47 PM
The only time gaming is "bad" is when its not good and its always good.