PDA

View Full Version : When is the old Telecom CDMA network shutting off?

forrest44
03-09-2010, 03:29 PM
Does anyone know what date the old Telecom CDMA network will be switched off?

PaulD
03-09-2010, 03:54 PM
"Telecom today confirmed the closure dates for two services on its CDMA mobile network, which is set for final closure mid-2012.

With the growth and expansion of XT services Telecom will close its CDMA-based WorldMode Roaming service on 28 October 2010 and will close its domestic CDMA 3G data network, known as EVDO on 30 November 2010."

forrest44
03-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Ahh good, don't need another phone for a while :)

wratterus
03-09-2010, 05:00 PM
Edit...

Never mind, I should read things through properly before replying to them!

My Nokia 6265 is still going strong, I can't decide on an XT phone yet anyway, I want a nokia x6 but alas it doesn't work on XT. :(

decibel
06-09-2010, 11:25 PM
"Telecom today confirmed the closure dates for two services on its CDMA mobile network, which is set for final closure mid-2012.

With the growth and expansion of XT services Telecom will close its CDMA-based WorldMode Roaming service on 28 October 2010 and will close its domestic CDMA 3G data network, known as EVDO on 30 November 2010."

This is not the voice side of it, though.

PaulD
06-09-2010, 11:29 PM
This is not the voice side of it, though.

Read again "set for final closure mid-2012."

--Wolf--
07-09-2010, 12:01 AM

Read again... "...2012"

Coincidence?

The end is nigh fellas

gary67
07-09-2010, 07:44 AM
Read again... "...2012"

Coincidence?

The end is nigh fellas

According to the Mayan calendar the end will be 23rd Dec 2011 and it will be by fire, if you believe that stuff

pctek
07-09-2010, 08:43 AM
Dammit.

Yet another phone husband will have to learn - not to mention it was quite hard finding this - rugged, large screen (well as large as I could get) and a LOUD ring.

PaulD
07-09-2010, 08:45 AM
According to the Mayan calendar the end will be 23rd Dec 2011 and it will be by fire, if you believe that stuff

"What the Maya actually say

Apolinario Chile Pixtun is a Mayan Indian elder, and he is tired of being bombarded with frantic questions about the Mayan calendar supposedly "running out" on Dec. 21, 2012. "I came back from England last year and, man, they had me fed up with this stuff."5" http://www.2012hoax.org/mayan-prediction

--Wolf--
07-09-2010, 11:04 AM

Not really, but I like throwing it around.

But as we just saw in Chch, anything can happen.

Nomad
07-09-2010, 11:16 AM
Dammit.

Yet another phone husband will have to learn - not to mention it was quite hard finding this - rugged, large screen (well as large as I could get) and a LOUD ring.

My dad still using my Nokia 5110 on GSM, dunno what new phone works for him thou.

I'll add that all that plus larger buttons.

Gobe1
07-09-2010, 11:38 AM
Not really, but I like throwing it around.

But as we just saw in Chch, anything can happen.

Correct, at anytime

decibel
07-09-2010, 08:43 PM

Quite right - I really am turning into an old dick-head.:(

paulw
08-09-2010, 09:29 AM
I see more of the old CDMA EVDO data sticks appearing on Trademe as people try to get some money form these before it get closed later in the year. After that they'll be just paper weights..

wratterus
16-09-2010, 01:23 PM
Nokia finally made the phone I want - the N8 (http://www.nokia.co.nz/find-products/all-phones/nokia-n8).

Someone want to tell me why it's crap and recommend a Motorola? :p

Erayd
16-09-2010, 01:51 PM
Someone want to tell me why it's crap and recommend a Motorola? :pIt runs Symbian, and costs more than many better-specced Android phones. Reason enough?

ubergeek85
16-09-2010, 02:10 PM
It runs Symbian, and costs more than many better-specced Android phones. Reason enough?

Oh yea of little faith

Symbian ain't so bad. Quite nice, actually. You can get all the important apps for it; youtube, facebook, NES emulator. Using the Ovi suite is a **** though. Has anyone ever found a mobile suite that isn't bloated?

forrest44
16-09-2010, 02:28 PM
While we're on the topic of mobile phones, does anyone know if you can load custom/hacked firmware onto basic Nokia phones? (EG mine is a nokia 2118) Like, for instance, can you write your own apps/games/whatever to run on it?

ubergeek85
16-09-2010, 02:33 PM
No need to modify the firmware - you just need a sync/data cable, plus an old copy of nokia PC suite (what they had before Ovi). Writing the apps isn't that hard, but good luck tracking down an IDE/compiler for DCT4 (it's the OS they used before symbian).

Edit; DCT4 isn't the name of the OS, but it is pre-symbian.

forrest44
16-09-2010, 03:22 PM
Cool, will look it up :)

Erayd
16-09-2010, 03:26 PM
Oh yea of little faith

Symbian ain't so bad. Quite nice, actually. You can get all the important apps for it...Oh sure - but it's lost most of the developer mindshare to iOS and Android, resulting in stagnation on the Symbian platform. It's certainly a useful system, but it's not progressing anywhere near as fast as its two competitors, and already has a lot of catching up to do. If you don't care about its future prospects though, then it may still be a viable option for you.

ubergeek85
16-09-2010, 03:30 PM
Oh sure - but it's lost most of the developer mindshare to iOS and Android,

You're right there. Where would we be without 272 different apps for simulating fart noises?

But seriously, you are right.

Chilling_Silence
16-09-2010, 03:38 PM
I read an article earlier today that there's *no* upgrade path for Nokia phones, they're writing a new Symbian4 which won't be compatible with existing devices, not to mention there's apparently no desire to do firmware / OS updates / upgrades / improvements.

Seems like a pretty good reason to get an Android / iPhone to me!

--Wolf--
16-09-2010, 10:26 PM
^ Just bought a new Nokia yesterday :(

Billy T
17-09-2010, 11:33 AM
I have a Samsung W531 flip-front (I think that's the model) that has CDMA and TDMA modes. I'm hoping that all I'll need to do is swap systems and (hopefully) transfer my number!

I'll be sorry to see the CDMA system close, in my opinion it is a much safer and less invasive transmission protocol.

McBilly 8-{) :dogeye:

paulw
17-09-2010, 11:47 AM
I have a Samsung W531 flip-front (I think that's the model) that has CDMA and TDMA modes. I'm hoping that all I'll need to do is swap systems and (hopefully) transfer my number!

I'll be sorry to see the CDMA system close, in my opinion it is a much safer and less invasive transmission protocol.

McBilly 8-{) :dogeye:

You tried putting a Vodafone SIM in it??. A couple of months ago Voda blocked these fones from their network. Mines works fine on 2D though but is now relegated to an emergency spare until the CDMA network closes..

wratterus
28-10-2010, 10:32 AM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/digital-living/4280773/Telecom-switches-off-roaming

Billy T
28-10-2010, 12:53 PM
So, does that mean my Samsung won't operate on XT?

It is not exactly a tragedy of course, Mrs T won it in a competition when the prices for these were very high and I snaffled it on the spot (my excuse was that I needed to travel overseas, and I finally did :D) but I guess I'll have trouble finding a plain vanilla phone to replace it, I only use it for texts (bugger all of them) and the occasional phone call.

Mrs T is still using a Nokia 2280 (those that Telecom was giving away free several years ago) and she is ultra techno-phobic so getting her up to speed on a new phone will be a mission in itself! She has only two operating modes: 'it works' or HELP!!!!

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :(

Erayd
28-10-2010, 01:06 PM
So, does that mean my Samsung won't operate on XT?CDMA or GSM phones won't work at all on XT. XT uses WCDMA only.

wratterus
28-10-2010, 04:49 PM
http://store.telecom.co.nz/mobile/prepaid/nokia-2730

Get her something like that Billy, that is about as simple as they come nowadays.

Speedy Gonzales
28-10-2010, 04:57 PM
I got one of these a few weeks ago

http://store.telecom.co.nz/mobile/prepaid/telecom-r109-white

Does a good job. Havent used the BT yet tho. Since the adapter I have doesn't work with x64. Just have to get a memory card. Only thing is, I cant use email on it with Xnet (since they block port 25 for sending them). But I can receive them. But it works both ways with Gmail

roddy_boy
28-10-2010, 05:27 PM
So, does that mean my Samsung won't operate on XT?

It is not exactly a tragedy of course, Mrs T won it in a competition when the prices for these were very high and I snaffled it on the spot (my excuse was that I needed to travel overseas, and I finally did :D) but I guess I'll have trouble finding a plain vanilla phone to replace it, I only use it for texts (bugger all of them) and the occasional phone call.

Mrs T is still using a Nokia 2280 (those that Telecom was giving away free several years ago) and she is ultra techno-phobic so getting her up to speed on a new phone will be a mission in itself! She has only two operating modes: 'it works' or HELP!!!!

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :(

Is that a Samsung W351? If so you can activate the SIM card slot to use on a GSM network. If you're not using it very much 2 degrees is a good choice. There are instructions for how to activate the slot on a thread here. (http://nzgeek.org/topic/28480/will-a-sch-w531-samsung-world-mode-work-on-2dege)

menu, #, 1, 0, 1, 5, 9, 7, 5, 3 then go down to the * one which should say sim unlock and just change that then put ur sim card in, go to network select and choose card new zealand or (no. 2) if that ddnt work, replace the 1 5 9 7 5 3 with 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 0