PDA

View Full Version : Will Auckland really grind to a halt?

wratterus
03-09-2010, 02:30 PM
I'm not so sure...I remember I was in Auckland when Bill Gates was here, all sorts of roads were closed off and stuff, everyone was worried about gridlock and the traffic was the lightest I'd ever seen. Guess everyone stayed at home.

Closing all the Southbound lanes across the viaduct is somewhat more major though, no? So glad I don't live in Auckland...:banana

Speedy Gonzales
03-09-2010, 02:44 PM
Glad I don't drive to find out :p

KarameaDave
03-09-2010, 02:46 PM
What is this Auckland, of which you speak? :D

johcar
03-09-2010, 03:09 PM
Storm in a teacup, I reckon.

The media have been hyping it because the only other news is South Canterbury Finance.

Contrary to a lot of peoples' opinion, the Newmarket Viaduct is a short (1km?) stretch of motorway - plenty of options to use if it's not available, if you use a little forethought.

Besides they're only closing the southbound stretch of it! If you live north of it (all the best people do! :D), you rarely use it anyway (there's only South Auckland south of it, and who in their right mind wants to go there!?!? ;))...

bob_doe_nz
03-09-2010, 03:53 PM
Well, I'm travelling from South Aucky to Albaninny by bus tomorrow. Let's see what happens.

Battleneter2
03-09-2010, 04:02 PM
What is this Auckland, of which you speak? :D

You might remember them as the backward embarrassment of a city that said no to a Hybrid Fiber cable network because it looked ugly next to the other ugly cables on the power poles. (10 year anniversary of Auckland killing the cable network for the entire country btw).

A proud moment, but hey at least they know how to keep the power on........... oh wait :P

Zippity
03-09-2010, 04:03 PM
yuk yuk yuk

all those poor 'lil Jaffas who may have to take an alternate route

who cares? :) :)

ryanjames.powell
03-09-2010, 04:26 PM
(there's only South Auckland south of it, and who in their right mind wants to go there!?!? ;))...

South Auckland and a little place called most of the rest of the country :P

pctek
03-09-2010, 04:32 PM
and a little place called most of the rest of the country :P

You fly to that from Auckland.

I doubt I'd even notice the closure except the unending reports on the news about it.......

pcuser42
03-09-2010, 04:56 PM
Free trains should help with the traffic quite a bit.

Gobe1
03-09-2010, 04:57 PM
Monorail

Chilling_Silence
03-09-2010, 05:01 PM
You might remember them as the backward embarrassment of a city that said no to a Hybrid Fiber cable network because it looked ugly next to the other ugly cables on the power poles. (10 year anniversary of Auckland killing the cable network for the entire country btw).

A proud moment, but hey at least they know how to keep the power on........... oh wait :P

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Zippity
03-09-2010, 05:28 PM
What's the betting it will be the lead story on tomorrow's TVOne evening news - like anyone south of the Bombay Hills really gives a fig.

prefect
03-09-2010, 05:36 PM
Its so totally no biggy can divert thru:
Tamaki Drive
Newmarket
Parnell
Balmoral
Hillsborough

Its just even with all the hoo ha, electronic signs and advertising plonkers are still going to pitch up on the Southern Motorway.
It will be the same as W2K big ado about nothing.

R2x1
03-09-2010, 06:40 PM
What's the betting it will be the lead story on tomorrow's TVOne evening news - like anyone south of the Bombay Hills really gives a fig.
Isn't that bit South of the Bombays closed in winter? I suppose it is a bit hard to tell, not that it matters much. :D

Roscoe
03-09-2010, 06:51 PM
Anyone who is wide awake will know that the south western (Mangere) motorway is now connected to the southern at Manukau.

If you are passing through Auckland, take SH16 then SH20 and go the back way.

If you are heading south from Auckland take the motorway toward the airport and turn left on SH20. Can't be all that difficult.

As Prefect has said,
Its so totally no biggy

WalOne
03-09-2010, 07:12 PM
Its so totally no biggy

Its just even with all the hoo ha, electronic signs and advertising plonkers are still going to pitch up on the Southern Motorway.
It will be the same as W2K big ado about nothing.

Yeah, right.

So where were you when the police helicopter and the traffic reporting plane collided over Spaghetti Junction during the rush hour? I remember it took me 3.5 hours to get from Albany to St Heliers (via the NW, Hillsborough, Ellerslie, St Johns).

:(

wmoore
03-09-2010, 07:49 PM
Yeah, right.

So where were you when the police helicopter and the traffic reporting plane collided over Spaghetti Junction during the rush hour? I remember it took me 3.5 hours to get from Albany to St Heliers (via the NW, Hillsborough, Ellerslie, St Johns).

:(

Yes but that at the start of rush hour on a Friday evening and they also closed more roads as well.

wmoore
03-09-2010, 07:51 PM
I'm not so sure...I remember I was in Auckland when Bill Gates was here, all sorts of roads were closed off and stuff, everyone was worried about gridlock and the traffic was the lightest I'd ever seen. Guess everyone stayed at home.

Closing all the Southbound lanes across the viaduct is somewhat more major though, no? So glad I don't live in Auckland...:banana

I think you mean Bill Clinton.

bob_doe_nz
03-09-2010, 07:56 PM
If you are heading south from Auckland take the motorway toward the airport and turn left on SH20. Can't be all that difficult.

Just of of curiosity, did you walk that SH?

pcuser42
03-09-2010, 08:28 PM
Anyone who is wide awake will know that the south western (Mangere) motorway is now connected to the southern at Manukau.

No, those who are wide awake will know that only the southbound lanes are open ;)

Roscoe
03-09-2010, 08:28 PM
Just of of curiosity, did you walk that SH?

Would have liked to but other commitments (SWMBO initiated) stopped that bit of fun.

bob_doe_nz
03-09-2010, 09:13 PM
Would have liked to but other commitments (SWMBO initiated) stopped that bit of fun.

Bugger. It was a better walk than the Newmarket bridge.

Roscoe
03-09-2010, 09:23 PM
No, those who are wide awake will know that only the southbound lanes are open ;)

Not certain what you mean. All of the Mangere motorway will be open. It is only the southern motorway that will be affected. So my suggestion was to use the Mangere motorway instead of the southern.

pcuser42
03-09-2010, 09:50 PM
Not certain what you mean. All of the Mangere motorway will be open. It is only the southern motorway that will be affected. So my suggestion was to use the Mangere motorway instead of the southern.

Are you talking about the SH20-SH1 link? I'm not sure we're on the same page...

Billy T
03-09-2010, 11:15 PM
If you are passing through Auckland, take SH16 then SH20 and go the back way. If you are heading south from Auckland take the motorway toward the airport and turn left on SH20. Can't be all that difficult. As Prefect has said,

Yeah! You and everybody else!! It will be no major problem tomorrow though because of the late closure, and coming North will be fine and I'm betting that traffic will be lighter than usual because unless you are on a one-way trip, you've got to come back south sometime that day.

Sunday will be the day, it usually only takes one lane closure to jam it up. On a fine Friday afternoon from 4pm onwards with no lanes closed it can take up to 2 hours to get from the City to Papakura, crawling at 10-15 k's with plenty of stops. That is usually a 20 minute trip.

Sunday will be the big day, when everybody and his brother will have a bright idea about how to avoid the traffic jam and they'll just join the jam that hoped to miss the jam.

I'm staying home! It's Father's day so I'll dig into my whisky and hog the TV.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :thumbs:

bob_doe_nz
03-09-2010, 11:48 PM
Don't forget the ITM cup on Sunday as well.

Poppa John
04-09-2010, 12:33 PM
Monorail

Like Sydney. PJ

Poppa John
04-09-2010, 12:36 PM
Just think. If Auckland had listened to Mayor Robbie all those years ago, then Auckland would have had Ungerground railways. I hope those "Naysayers" of that time are turning in their graves in anguish.

I doubt it tho, petty politicians. PJ

prefect
04-09-2010, 02:57 PM
No because public transport in Auckland is for very poor people, students or people who cant drive.
Any public transport put in Auckland needs to be subsidized which is a so totally unfair waste of my rates. You see six wheeler buses driving around here with about 5 normally Asian people in them.
Sure people go on about Aucklands public transport that because they want other people to use it so they can travel quickly on the motorway in their car. So unless you drag single person occupied drivers out of their cars and give them a 9mm bullet to the head and crush their cars we are buggered, been buggered still buggered, always will be buggered. Cars are king here the place is so spread out.
I admit to using public transport once in May I took bus into CBD for 2 day conference was too sick from the piss and over limit to have driven home anyway.
It was painless walk up the road for 1km wait 15 min for bus dropped right off almost right outside hotel in Albert street. Same the reverse trip the money I saved on parking I spent on piss.

Roscoe
04-09-2010, 06:59 PM
Are you talking about the SH20-SH1 link? I'm not sure we're on the same page...

Yes I am. I thought that would be a good alternative. Surely that would do the trick if you were headed south?

paulw
04-09-2010, 08:27 PM
Just think. If Auckland had listened to Mayor Robbie all those years ago, then Auckland would have had Ungerground railways. I hope those "Naysayers" of that time are turning in their graves in anguish.

I doubt it tho, petty politicians. PJ

The "Naysayers" you talk of were the politicians in Wellington who didn't want to see Auckland have something that Wellington could not have. A standard gauge modern underground train system. Why just now Wellington is introducing another round of nice shinny new electric trans where Auckland is still one step from the steam age because the polys in Wellywood don't want to give us our tax money from Auckland's motor fuel to fund the new Auckland units..

pcuser42
04-09-2010, 09:08 PM
Yes I am. I thought that would be a good alternative. Surely that would do the trick if you were headed south?

Yes, but not north.

bob_doe_nz
05-09-2010, 12:34 AM
No because public transport in Auckland is for very poor people, students or people who cant drive.
Any public transport put in Auckland needs to be subsidized which is a so totally unfair waste of my rates. You see six wheeler buses driving around here with about 5 normally Asian people in them.

I'm one of them.

prefect
05-09-2010, 01:44 AM
The "Naysayers" you talk of were the politicians in Wellington who didn't want to see Auckland have something that Wellington could not have. A standard gauge modern underground train system. Why just now Wellington is introducing another round of nice shinny new electric trans where Auckland is still one step from the steam age because the polys in Wellywood don't want to give us our tax money from Auckland's motor fuel to fund the new Auckland units..

Underground to where? Manukau? Henderson? Takapuna. Cost billions used by bugger all people a day, thank **** people didnt listen to Meyer. His only legacy was the sewage ponds at Onehunga which have since been destroyed.
Quite apt sewerage being his legacy.
Some people need to get in their thick heads Aucklanders wont use public transport in enough numbers to make it pay, they never have and never will.

johcar
05-09-2010, 01:51 AM

Not too many in Auckland care either, Zippity. It's the media who are making the fuss!

Isn't that bit South of the Bombays closed in winter? I suppose it is a bit hard to tell, not that it matters much. :D

There's only about half a dozen people living south of Bombay... :D

Everyone else (the important ones anyway) seem to be living in Auckland these days.

johcar
05-09-2010, 01:54 AM
Underground to where? Manukau? Henderson? Takapuna. Cost billions used by bugger all people a day, thank **** people didnt listen to Meyer. His only legacy was the sewage ponds at Onehunga which have since been destroyed.
Some people need to get in their thick heads Aucklanders wont use public transport in enough numbers to make it pay, they never have and never will.

Is there anywhere in the world where public transport is unsubsidised?

pctek
05-09-2010, 08:24 AM

Actually I disagree with that.
Most people don't because it has been and still is largely - useless. It's OK if you want to go from a nearby location to town or town back but try going from say Henderson to Ellerslie.

Involves travelling to the centre of Henderson first, swapping part way and getting on another transport and then walking a bit to your destination.
It all takes just as long if not longer.

Go from Whenuapai to Manurewa for instance, even worse.

If they sort it and make it easier to get all over, then I sure would use it. After all parking is a problem most places.

paulw
05-09-2010, 10:43 AM

Underground was the city loop just like Sydney or Melbourne. When I live in South Auckland we always came into the CBD via train.. Cheaper than paying for a car park space for the day. Now I'm in Pt Chev I guess it will be by bus. Pity the trams weren't still here..

pcuser42
05-09-2010, 06:17 PM
The viaduct was reopened earlier than expected: it opened about midday. Traffic was free flowing and trains didn't seem much more packed than usual.

paulw
06-09-2010, 09:24 AM
The viaduct was reopened earlier than expected: it opened about midday. Traffic was free flowing and trains didn't seem much more packed than usual.

It was reported in the news last nite that there was 25000 people used the trains this weekend compared with the normal 5000..

wratterus
06-09-2010, 11:08 AM
I did mean Clinton rather than Gates, must have had a brain fade.

So whatís the verdict? Obviously itís been pushed right out of any news by the earthquake, but did anyone brave the traffic on Saturday? Was it all a big drama about nothing?

johcar
06-09-2010, 01:22 PM
I went to Ellerslie from the Shore on Saturday evening around 8pm - came off at Fanshawe St and went the scenic route through Orakei. Came back via the motorway shortly afterwards - almost no traffic going north. Didn't experience any heavy traffic anywhere else either.

Don't know about Sunday - stayed at home and enjoyed Father's Day (even though I had to cook dinner, as I usually do in the weekends)!!

paulw
06-09-2010, 01:46 PM
It was basically a non event hyped up by the media. It was all open by lunch time Sunday. It all happens again in about a 2 years or less time when they swap the city bounds lanes across to the old south bound after the next rebuild..

WalOne
06-09-2010, 01:48 PM
Actually I disagree with that.
Most people don't because it has been and still is largely - useless. It's OK if you want to go from a nearby location to town or town back but try going from say Henderson to Ellerslie.

We in Ellerslie made it as difficult as we could so as to keep Westies away.

:D

pcuser42
06-09-2010, 04:52 PM
It was basically a non event hyped up by the media.

If it weren't for the media hype, there would have been traffic issues ;)

It was reported in the news last nite that there was 25000 people used the trains this weekend compared with the normal 5000..

The only train I thought was more packed than usual was the train out to Henderson (which broke down). On the way home to Papakura, if it weren't for us three, the carriage we were in would have been completely empty the whole way. (Admittedly it left Newmarket at 4pm.)

prefect
06-09-2010, 10:56 PM
Its about 12 kilometres from sea at CBD to sea at Onehunga with Newmarket vidauct Southbound lane taking about 35 metres of this width.
There so many rat runs from sea to sea you could put 10s of thousands of cars through this area.