PDA

View Full Version : Micro freezes - sorted, but why?

sarel
31-08-2010, 08:23 AM
The last week or so I started to pick up micro freezes on my PC, happening all the time (not limited to say a game or browsing or whatever). Freeze say 10 seconds intermittantly but no definitive periods (like every 10 mins for say 20 seconds) - totally random. The freezes became more and more the last few days and I searched PF1 and the net for something similar but alas no joy. So I thought before I ask here, do the basics first. Last night I just restored the PC to a day during a week I know everything was sweet (two weeks ago) and lo and behold, freezes gone. My problem - what the heck caused the freezes? I changed nothing, I d/l'ed nothing but interestingly enough, I had to d/l and reinstall a critical Win update (for the email spamfilter, if I recall correctly). The only change was a new DVD burner, and I got the same model as before so that shouldn't be a problem. I will wait patiently and see what happens and if it returns.

Any ideas, any one?

sarel

sarel
31-08-2010, 08:59 AM
Oh, I forgot. XP, SP3, etc.etc.

sarel

pctek
31-08-2010, 09:05 AM
The last week or so I started to pick up micro freezes on my PC
I had to d/l and reinstall a critical Win update

Answered your own question there, I'd say.

sarel
31-08-2010, 10:02 AM
But PCTek, after reinstallation, it did not reappear (yet).:badpc: Will keep on checking, and it's early days yet.

sarel

Trev
31-08-2010, 10:35 AM
A corrupt download.
:)

sarel
02-09-2010, 01:11 PM
It's baaaaaack (microfreezes - took a day to reappear). Restored it again and this time I will not install the Win update although Nod32 is quite unhappy about me not installing the update - the "eye" turns red.

sarel:badpc:

sarel
07-09-2010, 08:33 AM
The freezes are back, and without the installation of the Winupdate. I think I've got something more serious wrong, because if I restart or reboot, I've got years of problems - black screen, freezes at Winscreen, monitor showing diagonal lines. I've now restored it back to about two months ago, no difference. Microfreezes started at say 5 second freezes, but lately it freezes for more than a minute at a time, completely randomly.

My plan of action is to open up the PC tonite and check all connections, RAM, etc. Memtest did not show any problem with the RAM, so it could be the mobo. All other tests (I can't remember the program name) shows no real problem anywhere. Makes me wonder if the DVD-writer was stuffed or not.

What else will cause the microfreezes. I replaced my PSU about a year ago after the previous one died, and since then no real problems. Or will it predominantly be software based, requiring a reinstall of XP?

sarel

pctek
07-09-2010, 08:42 AM
- black screen, freezes at Winscreen, monitor showing diagonal lines.

Actually, you can change NOD to not whinge about the updates.

Monitor huh. Have you tried another GPU?

sarel
07-09-2010, 09:51 AM
No, not yet. The problem is that I haven't yet checked out the internals - does it sound like a GPU going?

sarel

sarel
08-09-2010, 09:19 AM
Couldn't find any fault. Reinserted everything, checked all connections, no real problem so I'm stumped. The funny thing is - every time I restore XP to a previous date (and I get the PC going) it will be sweet for a few days and then slowly start to freeze - initially only for seconds at a time, then worsening as time goes on. Sound to me like something perhaps heating up - b*gger, have to check my fans tonight (I just thought of this!).

sarel

Agent_24
08-09-2010, 12:22 PM
A faulty hard drive could cause that problem, if it was having trouble reading and writing.

sarel
08-09-2010, 02:40 PM
No trouble reading/writing (that I can see - and I had a few HD's fail in the past). Will check it out though.

sarel

sarel
08-09-2010, 02:43 PM
SWMBO is currently of the opinion that the fault(s) there are due to the cr*p PC I bought a few years ago. She thought at the time I'm trying to save too much. So I said can I buy a new one. After a bit of blood, swelling and pain the message was clear : "NO".

lol

sarel

Cato
08-09-2010, 02:56 PM
Buddy, unless you need windows specific programs, go and try a linux distro. No shitty windows updates, no silly virii.

And you won't need to spend dough on a new computer.

Agent_24
08-09-2010, 03:02 PM
What PSU do you have now? I wonder if the new one has started causing problems? (if it's el-cheapo)

I went through two crappy PSUs on one of my PCs, was getting random hard lockups, eventually got a decent Corsair 400CX, should solve the problems for a long time!

sarel
08-09-2010, 04:24 PM
B*ggered if I know, I'll check tonight. I bought a cheap Compaq at a special at Warehouse Stationary a few years ago so that should give you an indication. I am therefore very envious when I read all the posts with the nice stuff that our PF1 members buy these days. But, I did not need anything better, it suited me fine.

sarel

sarel
03-12-2010, 07:41 AM
Well, it has been some time now since I reinstalled XP clean, but did not install anything else - no SP3, no games, nothing. The micro-freezes reported earlier have not yet returned, and it would seem that both my DVD-drives are working OK. Virus and malware checks come back clean every time I do them (once per week).

I'm really getting bored with Solitaire, and would like to load a game or two. *Shiver*. So I'll install one oldie, wait and see, and so on.

Myth, I will contact you regarding Linux - no urgency though.

sarel