PDA

View Full Version : Burnt on TM

Nomad
29-08-2010, 08:58 PM
Got a laptop, well it was kinda good price but at a auction it was market price ..

If they say average condition do you expect average wear and tear for a 2 or 3yr old laptop or do you expect the full screen to be full of light scratches which shows up when the screen is dark?

Well, we both exchanged -ve feedback :lol: not sure if bro wants it now, I am not sure if I want it b/c with a desktop PC I don't really need a laptop, prefer a pad for viewing the web and stuff, not doing anything intense. Could sell it make a loss at least I get something back.

It wasn't something you expect to ask right... Avg condition car and then you see it needs a new paint job. :lol:
He must of used a real pen on the tablet laptop - monkey.

He sends it right with no return address. And it's a different name than his name on TM.

SoniKalien
29-08-2010, 09:34 PM
Do you need a hug? :p

KarameaDave
29-08-2010, 09:40 PM
Bugger, I hate it when that happens, could you complain to TM management?

Nomad
29-08-2010, 09:45 PM
i am a bit tense, you may bounce off :D

if bro does not want it, i may just sell it off and i'll be honest with them attaching close up pictures. take what i get. i don't think i will use it, when lit up it not really visible, but a dark wallpaper or sunset photo does show up. with my desktop pc may look in a android pad in a year's time.

tablet laptops are gimmicks. for office work, they only good for writing notes in pen format, don't expect the thing to do text recognition. personal use is prob ok.

Nomad
29-08-2010, 09:45 PM
Bugger, I hate it when that happens, could you complain to TM management?

i doubt it.

wainuitech
29-08-2010, 09:53 PM
You may be up the creek without a paddle as the saying goes.

IF it was advertised as good, or excellent condition, then its false advertising.

But because it was advertised as average condition -- What defines Average ?

My laptop screen even after 6 years old I would define as above average, its almost as good as the day it was brought, just a few minor scratches in one corner that you really have to look for, yet others I have seen less than a month are scratched to blazers.

Had you have asked was it scratched and the answer came back as no , then you would have a case.

It like the COA - They say a reasonable time, BUT whats a reasonable time ?

Nomad
29-08-2010, 09:55 PM
no, i didn't ask b/c I bought many laptops before used and it only had normal wear and tear like your 6yr old laptop. or like my 10yr old laptop here :D

wainuitech
29-08-2010, 10:37 PM
Unfortunately not every ones completely honest on TM :( And with no return address it looks like the person knew exactly what the condition was.

TM would have contact details of the person (as long as that was honestly entered) but weather they would do anything is another matter.

Did you use safe trader(or what ever it is called, been a while since we did anything on TM), doesn't that kind of secure or can stop payments if there is a problem ??

Nomad
29-08-2010, 10:51 PM
i didn't use safetrader, the person had like 200+ positive feedback with 1 neutral and 1 negative. The seller even offered $10 hush money to the complainant but she didn't take that and made it public.

--Wolf--
29-08-2010, 10:53 PM
Have you tried emailing the guy...

B****ing at each other through feedback doesn't solve anything.

Nomad
29-08-2010, 10:54 PM
Have you tried emailing the guy...

B****ing at each other through feedback doesn't solve anything.

yes, no reply.
it was the same email address which successfully worked to arrange payment :rolleyes:
he only gave me a -ve when i gave him a -ve after he not replied my email, and still hasn't.

Billy T
29-08-2010, 11:04 PM
NIB or NOS
As New
Excellent
Good
Average
Poor

You were bottom-feeding from the start and it sounds like the price matched the condition. I appreciate that you were disappointed, but it seems to me you got what you paid for.

Remember to ask questions next time, that's why TM provide the option to ask the seller for more information.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Nomad
29-08-2010, 11:23 PM
can someone clarify what the following in terms of TM rules:

Foreign plugs
In order to comply with New Zealand laws, items with foreign plugs may not be sold. This applies to items that require an adaptor to connect to a New Zealand socket.

SoniKalien
30-08-2010, 12:51 AM
I'd say that means that all electrical items must be supplied with plugs to fit into NZ standard power points and therefore must be 240v

gary67
30-08-2010, 07:52 AM
Yep it means an electrical appliance must have a NZ plug attached, they do this because technically only an electrician is recommended to change a plug

Nomad
30-08-2010, 08:48 AM
NIB or NOS
As New
Excellent
Good
Average
Poor

You were bottom-feeding from the start and it sounds like the price matched the condition. I appreciate that you were disappointed, but it seems to me you got what you paid for.

Remember to ask questions next time, that's why TM provide the option to ask the seller for more information.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

To me average and probably to some people means a typical use for the age of the product. It was 2yr old. So I expected a 2yr old laptop found in a family home or in a corporate environment. I don't expect average to be near the bottom.

Nomad
30-08-2010, 09:08 AM
Yep it means an electrical appliance must have a NZ plug attached, they do this because technically only an electrician is recommended to change a plug

TM didn't give a rat's a@@. They just said contact the seller if you have any concerns, TM cannot monitor all activity.

I prob throw back out today, will take close up photo's so I don't cheat people. I personally don't think you can have a tablet covered up in scratches 100% and call it average for a 2yr old device.

Will post a picture link later on.

pctek
30-08-2010, 09:23 AM
i didn't use safetrader, the person had like 200+ positive feedback with 1 neutral and 1 negative.

Yes the feedback system doesn't work. Did you give him bad feedback? Most people don't because they are afraid of getting bad feedback back in return - so of course the next traders come along and think the trader is great.....

Nomad
30-08-2010, 09:26 AM
Yes the feedback system doesn't work. Did you give him bad feedback? Most people don't because they are afraid of getting bad feedback back in return - so of course the next traders come along and think the trader is great.....

Of course I did, I knew he was going to give me back in return. To me it's more what's right.

Billy T
30-08-2010, 09:50 AM

That is not quite correct. A homeowner is legally entitled to change a plug, but they cannot do it for hire or reward. I think TM is simply being cautious, which on the face of it, is a sensible decision, or would be if it wasn't for the fact that they allow any old appliances to be freely sold and that poses greater risk of shock and/or fire than simply replacing a plug.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Strommer
30-08-2010, 10:24 AM

Good point. The trick is to think of the right questions.

Sometimes general questions can CYA when making a purchase, such as "Is there any damage, marks or scratches?" or "Is there anything wrong with the item that a buyer may find problematical?"

If there are any "Unanswered questions" it probably means it is best to look elsewhere.

Nomad
30-08-2010, 10:42 AM
I've learnt not to trust people.

I'll post a picture when I get home. If the screen is off or a dark wallpaper or photo, the amount of light scratches is like the palm of your hand.

I'm listing it on sale today.

I've always taken close up photographs with my digital SLR camera and put a direct link to the 5-10 images off a image website to assure my buyers.

He provided 3 images, 2 were on the floor while he took the photo standing up. The main photo was actually taken off a laptop review website (I bumped into the same image there).

Billy T
30-08-2010, 10:47 AM
It is also helpful to copy the (full size) photo into a program like Irfanview then correct for gamma, contrast and colour. It is amazing what flaws can be hidden by a bad photo. If I'm still keen after that, I ask politely for a close up of that area and if they ignore the request, unless the price is peanuts it is time to move on.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Agent_24
30-08-2010, 12:24 PM
Doesn't matter if he has 200+ positive, they sell something worth a lot and get greedy.

Remember a lot of people don't place negative feedback because they don't want to get it themselves.

I would always use SafeTrader for something like that. It doesn't cost much compared to what you could lose.

prefect
30-08-2010, 01:22 PM
Doesn't matter if he has 200+ positive, they sell something worth a lot and get greedy.

Remember a lot of people don't place negative feedback because they don't want to get it themselves.

I would always use SafeTrader for something like that. It doesn't cost much compared to what you could lose.

I am one of them got 229 smiley faces no bloo or red faces.
I am pretty careful who I trade with they have to be Address verified and almost 100% good feedback maybe one bloo face ok.
Only had one bad experience it was for secondhand plywood, it was all warped like a taco lol. Didnt think complaining about was worth was worth red face.
Got one red face when kids sold game said it was XP compatible but it wasnt they gave a red face. I emailed back repaid double the money plus postage said they could keep the game and they changed feedback to smiley face with a good comment.
Phew close call kidz banned from ever using my account ever again.

Nomad
30-08-2010, 03:21 PM
do you call this average?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4081/4940295094_fd1c09b865_b_d.jpg

wratterus
30-08-2010, 03:24 PM
Not all that good is it. What camera do you have? Nice picture... :punk

Nomad
30-08-2010, 03:26 PM
Nikon D70 with a 18-200mm VR (vibration reduction) lens. It's my travel lens.

johcar
30-08-2010, 05:02 PM
Just to play devil's advocate here...

The fact that it's a tablet that has had some use, doesn't that mean you'd expect the screen to have some scratching? All the stylii I have ever used (no matter how careful I have been) have marked the screen surface in some way.

If you can only see the scratches when the screen is off, then I would say that's 'cosmetic damage'. If the scratches are evident with the screen on, I would be concerned (not to mentioned peed off!).

However, it seems the seller may have tried to pull a fast one here by not providing accurate picture (screen off and screen on)....

Nomad
30-08-2010, 05:29 PM
If you are doing word processing or surfing the web, you don't really see it, unless you are at an angle or leaning nearer to the screen.

If you have a dark wallpaper, screen saver, DOS or like a sunrise photograph it shows up.

I am listing it back today but I will be nice and show them this picture attached and 9 or so others in that size / quality.