PDA

View Full Version : Wood Gathering In SoCal

SurferJoe46
29-08-2010, 04:05 PM
Anticipating a cold winter (yeah, sure!) we made a legal foray into the higher woods here in my area (actually Garner Valley) for some free firewood.

The US Department of Forestry designates some trees for removal by painting a blue band or tying a blue ribbon on those they feel won't make it through the winter snows.

We are at 8,500 feet or so in some of these pixs and you'll see my wife and several friends who went with and told us about the free wood day in the first place.

Actually, today was a look-see for next Saturday when we will hit the hills pretty well better armed than we did today.

It was over 80F and just some nice gentle winds.

We brought back about 2,000 lbs of nice wood - some is green yet and will need a year to dry, but the rest is usable now - or in a few months when it actually gets cold here. Our cold season is yet to arrive.

We had my K5 Blazer, a Ford toy truck and another Mazda toy truck to help me haul and bring the chain saws and personnel.

HERE'S A LINK (http://picasaweb.google.com/vreeland.joe/WoodTrip?feat=directlink) to the web-album in Picasa, so if you like you can take a look at the very much higher areas around where we live.

This was about 4 miles from us, but it was around the mountain and then 7 1/2 miles up the mountain to the cutting area.

I tried to put a couple of pixs here as attachments to let you get a fore-hint to what we did, but F1 won't take them from Picasa.

Now I'm trying to send the originals - sorry if that's big files for youse guys.

These are taking a while to load from my H<hdd>

The Error Guy
29-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Blue sky... lucky

Strommer
29-08-2010, 05:52 PM
Nice pics Joe. The clear blue sunny sky and pine forests look terrific.

tweak'e
29-08-2010, 05:56 PM
We had my K5 Blazer, a Ford toy truck and another Mazda toy truck to help me haul and bring the chain saws and personnel.

mazda ??
a Nissan D22 1st gen frontier in one of the pics. it will run rings around the rest ;) :wub

SurferJoe46
29-08-2010, 06:19 PM
mazda ??
a Nissan D22 1st gen frontier in one of the pics. it will run rings around the rest ;) :wub

Oops! It was a Japanese toy truck anyway, and as such they fade into mental oblivion --- by me anyway. .

It can't hold a candle to Fire Breathin' V8 Horses in Detroit Iron!

The Ford Ranger is just a jitney and should never be mistaken for a real truck.

SurferJoe46
29-08-2010, 06:21 PM
Nice pics Joe. The clear blue sunny sky and pine forests look terrific.

It's kinda sad that we are plagued with blue skies here - and no smog that I can detect.

Snorkbox
29-08-2010, 06:39 PM
An older wood gathering story.

http://www.articlealley.com/article_9764_24.html

Enjoy. :)

Jen
29-08-2010, 09:06 PM
Sounds like a good way of getting old trees removed in exchange for free firewood.

... are there snakes or other predatory wild life in the woods? :eek:

ubergeek85
29-08-2010, 10:36 PM
It can't hold a candle to Fire Breathin' V8 Horses in Detroit Iron!

Quite right. Detroit sure knows how to make a good engine. Some blardy nice cars every so often too (Ford GT50 anyone?). It's odd, I hate ford of Australia (always been a Holden guy), but ford USA are a bit more agreeable.

I guess it's because Holden used to use GM V8's along with an auzzie chassis. All their auzzie-built engines took their bases from the GM powerhouse.

I always thought you were the type who drove an older Chevy Suburban as a runabout (link ('http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Suburban#1973.E2.80.931991') for those who don't know).

prefect
29-08-2010, 10:43 PM
American engines are good for mooring weights

SurferJoe46
30-08-2010, 03:21 AM
Quite right. Detroit sure knows how to make a good engine. Some blardy nice cars every so often too (Ford GT50 anyone?). It's odd, I hate ford of Australia (always been a Holden guy), but ford USA are a bit more agreeable.

I guess it's because Holden used to use GM V8's along with an auzzie chassis. All their auzzie-built engines took their bases from the GM powerhouse.

I always thought you were the type who drove an older Chevy Suburban as a runabout (link ('http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Suburban#1973.E2.80.931991') for those who don't know).

Well the Blazer is 2/3rds of a Suburban anyway - just missing a couple of doors. The body is identical but a little shorter. I can still tow 10,000lbs/714.2857142857sts, and have the same engine/transmission options and the same interior - etc.

Gobe1
30-08-2010, 02:33 PM
I enjoy getting firewood, looks like fun and a view too

SurferJoe46
13-09-2010, 07:52 PM
Sounds like a good way of getting old trees removed in exchange for free firewood.

... are there snakes or other predatory wild life in the woods? :eek:

Dang, Jen - I totally missed you comment and question.

I'll try now - OK?

Predatory animals? Uh huh.

We've got bears, mountain lions and wild dogs as well as coyotes, although coyotes are rather timid around people - bigger people anyway.

There are mountain bobcats that can rip you up pretty bad if they are hungry enough - rare, but it happens.

Snakes? Double Uh huh!!!

Timber Rattlers and regular ol' Desert Rattlers are all over the place. We get some Sidewinders and then the occasional Green or Red Mojave (mo-hah-vee) that has no known antidote.

We have non-venomous Red Racers and common garden-variety snakes. All snakes can bite - just that some are deadly, others are not. You learn to recognize the baddies ------------> or you don't.

We have Africanized Killer Bees and meat-eating wasps and scorpions and tarantulas, although the bite of a tarantula is vastly over-rated and not that deadly unless you don't panic.

That's not a misprint - you must panic to get the blood and adrenaline flowing to dilute the tarantula venom - hence the dance called: The Tarantella.

Other snake/insect bites are usually fatal if you start to panic and most deaths are from trying to run to help.

Bad idea.

We have a snake in Florida called the 'Two-Step', cause that's as far as you get after being bit - two steps.

We also have the Fer-de Lance there in Florida and if one ever bites me - it'll be in the buttocks as I will be leaving. I digress, however.

It's a lovely place (here) to live though in spite of the bad animals and if you leave them alone and don't go into their private living rooms they will leave you alone - generally.

Cutting trees is obviously in THEIR living rooms.

Of all the baddies out there - BEARS are the one thing I fear the most - especially at this time of the year and early Spring too.

Those are bad mood times and the females are always PMS'ing.