PDA

View Full Version : I Have A P4 what should I do?

icow
27-08-2010, 09:59 PM
I have an Intel P4 @ 1.8ghz sitting in my room and I don't have anything to do with it at the moment what should I do? And does anyone have a mobo and heat sink that would fit it?

kenj
27-08-2010, 10:01 PM
I Have A P4 what should I do?

Praise the Lord!!!

Ken

Speedy Gonzales
27-08-2010, 10:02 PM
You may get one on trademe. They're pretty hard to find now, they're pretty much obsolete

pcuser42
27-08-2010, 10:18 PM
Suggestions:

Put FreeNAS or nLited Windows XP/2000 on it and use it as a NAS box.
Use it as a media server.
Use it as a test rig.
Donate it.

wainuitech
27-08-2010, 10:54 PM
Only one :eek:

:p I've got a box with around 15, all sorts of power ranges, one major problem -- The CPU's all work fine - No motherboards available to fit them into :crying

qazwsxokmijn
27-08-2010, 10:54 PM
Destroy it.:devil

Speedy Gonzales
27-08-2010, 10:58 PM
Only one :eek:

:p I've got a box with around 15, all sorts of power ranges, one major problem -- The CPU's all work fine - No motherboards available to fit them into :crying

Any with more than 2 ram slots lol. And MATX. Ive got a P4 here (2.4), but its pretty crappy (Asrock)

ubergeek85
27-08-2010, 11:02 PM
Why not have a go decapping it then get ahold of a microscope? Some cool stuff to see.

wainuitech
27-08-2010, 11:06 PM
icow is after a motherboard and heatsink, so one would assume its a CPU he has.

Also got a couple of small boxes of P4 heatsinks, some with good fans, others sound like a jumbo jet.

Got plenty of dead boards laying about, and one that has a mind of its own :illogical

Might be time for a tidy up this weekend --------- Narrrrrr not gonna happen :lol: Maybe :confused:

ubergeek85
27-08-2010, 11:08 PM
Sorry, I'm going a bit hardcore nerd-style. By decapping, I mean removing the casing around the silicon of the CPU. I find raw silicon somewhat fascinating, for some reason...

wainuitech
27-08-2010, 11:09 PM
:illogical

The Error Guy
27-08-2010, 11:11 PM
Sorry, I'm going a bit hardcore nerd-style. By decapping, I mean removing the casing around the silicon of the CPU. I find raw silicon somewhat fascinating, for some reason...

A processors worst nightmare!!! Serial de-capper!! (no pun intended on the serial)

As mentioned in your PM I think I have a mobo + HS that will support, pretty darned sure I do anyway. If I have more than one spare then all of you who don't feel like donation your to be de-capped by uber can have mobo so you can make some amazing new invention or a big mess trying to build a computer out of it!!!

GameJunkie
27-08-2010, 11:17 PM
this makes me wanna build a pc out of old spares now.:thumbs:

The Error Guy
27-08-2010, 11:19 PM
this makes me wanna build a pc out of old spares now.:thumbs:

do it!!

GameJunkie
27-08-2010, 11:23 PM
i got 13 various components on my watchlist now :D

its something i definitley want to do over the coming months.

it all starts with buying the first component doesn't it?

building a list now :)

ubergeek85
27-08-2010, 11:23 PM
:illogical

What's not cool about this ('http://download.intel.com/pressroom/kits/corei7/images/Nehalem_Die_Shot_2.jpg')? (Warning, 6 Mb JPEG behind link).

Sure, it's from a Nehalem, but still...

wainuitech
27-08-2010, 11:46 PM
What's not cool about this ('http://download.intel.com/pressroom/kits/corei7/images/Nehalem_Die_Shot_2.jpg')? (Warning, 6 Mb JPEG behind link).

Sure, it's from a Nehalem, but still... Nothing wrong with it at all, quite the opposite really.

I'm usually amazed at just how much actually goes on inside a CPU and how they work.

One course I went on, we had 2-3 weeks on CPU's, how they work , all the gates (NOT,AND,NAND,OR,XOR,NOR), having to learn what each one does in relation to another :waughh:

Then it was included in part of the tests we had.

I actually asked why we had to learn all this stuff - :confused: Its not like you can take a CPU apart and actually fix it.

Answer: because you have to --- OK boss, if you say so. :nerd::nerd:

One thing I like doing , you always get some smart arse, saying they Know all about computers, and tries to act all smart and be little / show up the person they call in to help, esp in front of others, thinking they know it all- so you ask them what does NOT,AND,NAND,OR refer to in a CPU - Usual answer Errrrrrrr ??

Edited: Just a bit of Light learning (http://www.laynetworks.com/Basic%20Gates%20and%20Functions.htm) ;)

george12
28-08-2010, 12:37 AM
One of my 2nd year Comp Sci courses is basically taking us through how a RISC processor works, down to the gate level.

Personally I find it fascinating. It was always a gap in my knowledge; the link between the electronics, ie transistors, and the assembly instructions.

That said, a RISC (MIPS) CPU is complicated enough, and x86 processors are much MORE complicated!

ubergeek85
28-08-2010, 12:44 AM
x86 processors are much MORE complicated!

You got that right! As I understand it, while you can feed instructions and get output, it's actually near-impossible to figure out how an x86 processor executed an instruction, due to the fact that it morphs and changes quite a bit of code on-die.

It's always an area I've wanted to learn more about too.

R2x1
28-08-2010, 12:43 PM
What's not cool about this (http://download.intel.com/pressroom/kits/corei7/images/Nehalem_Die_Shot_2.jpg)? (Warning, 6 Mb JPEG behind link).

Sure, it's from a Nehalem, but still...
I see the trouble with that chip, it has a bit of sand in it.

george12
28-08-2010, 03:44 PM
I see the trouble with that chip, it has a bit of sand in it.

Good spotting. Where's Wally is now redundant, now it's "spot the error in the i7 die"!

ubergeek85
28-08-2010, 07:15 PM
now it's "spot the error in the i7 die"!

I lol'd. No, really!

How many hundred million transistors are in an i7?

The Error Guy
28-08-2010, 08:27 PM
Start with a nice big bot to fit it all in. follow with mobo to support ya CPU and PSU to support GFX and mobo, follow up with 2x as much RAM than you need and Liquid nitrogen cooling.

Live it up!!