PDA

View Full Version : Branding response.

Jams
26-08-2010, 11:32 AM
Hey guys.

Been many-a month since I have grazed in this patch but it is one of the few places left amongst my regular boards that appear to be void of pre-adolescent keyboard warriors.

I have spent the last year trying to brand my own company (graphic design). Going through ideas upon ideas have finally brought me closer to the light at the end of the tunnel.

I have a couple of finished concepts I would like you to look at and simply vote which one you like best. You're welcome to provide feedback but I am at a stage were feedback won't be necessary as I am just applying the finishing touches before I take the logo/brand into colour concepts.

Logos. (http://i34.tinypic.com/2vl663p.jpg)

My studio/firm is called James Lamb Design. (JLD).

Cheers!

Jams
26-08-2010, 12:12 PM
Thanks for voting.

Keep them coming!

Roscoe
26-08-2010, 01:32 PM
Do hope that there is a bit of colour. Looks bland otherwise.

Number one is by far the best. The other two seem somewhat confusing.

Jams
26-08-2010, 02:31 PM
As I said in the OP, I'm just finalising the finishing touches before I take it into colour concepts.

Thanks heaps for voting.

pctek
26-08-2010, 04:25 PM
2 and 3 don't make sense for JLD.

ubergeek85
26-08-2010, 04:36 PM
Since it's for a design firm, I guess you need to stand out, but at the risk of having a bad lolg? Tough call.

The first one is easiest to read, but I like three too. Depends on how you use it I guess. My vote is for three.

george12
26-08-2010, 06:38 PM
2 and 3 make no sense to me, I would avoid them both. 1 seems reasonable. Doesn't stand out to me as a great logo, but isn't bad either.

Jen
26-08-2010, 06:41 PM
None of them. The letters are not distinct enough to make out the J and L.

What I see when looking at the logos:
1. ilD (although 1. is the least confusing)
2. liD
3. ??D

My logic is if j has a curled tail, then the next letter also with a curled tail does not make sense. So, if I instead read the first curled tail letter as an i, then the next letter makes sense as an l (following the same design logic).

Hope that makes sense. :)

SoniKalien
26-08-2010, 07:07 PM
I voted for 1 for pretty much the same reasons already posted

Cicero
26-08-2010, 07:18 PM
As a LOGO designer,have you thought of taking up skiing?

R2x1
26-08-2010, 07:32 PM
Don't worry about Cicero, he's got termites in his toga since he got severely tanked. ;)

Jams
26-08-2010, 08:29 PM
Hey guys,

Thanks for all your feedback and votes.

Without replying to everyone individually;

The logo/brand doesn't need to stand out. All it needs to be is recognisable, reasonably attractive and easily remembered, the work that comes out of the firm is what needs to stand out. The design industry runs heavily on word of mouth.

Of course everyone is going to have different perspectives, such as Jen.

@Cicero;

Was that a conceited attempt at providing feedback due to the amount of flowing curves?

Cheers for your response none-the-less.

Cicero
26-08-2010, 08:55 PM
Conceited response you say,I say it was my way of saying,If I was paying for those logos I would be unhappy.

Metla
26-08-2010, 08:57 PM
Telecom will take a dozen.

Jams
26-08-2010, 09:06 PM
Conceited response you say,I say it was my way of saying,If I was paying for those logos I would be unhappy.

If the logo failed to meet the demographic and target market in which your company was aimed at, then sure. But the reason for someone not liking it is that it doesn't sit right with their emotional viewpoint is what a lot of companies can get lost in.

gary67
26-08-2010, 09:21 PM
I would probably go for no 1 as no3 looks almost Cyrillic

Jams
26-08-2010, 09:25 PM
I would probably go for no 1 as no3 looks almost Cyrillic

This is exactly what I thought after looking at it for a while.

Billy T
27-08-2010, 10:38 PM
I voted for #1 as the best of a bad bunch, because most people would see #2 as having a swollen i in the middle, and #3 looks too much like the Greek micro, as in ÁD.

#1 is tolerable but I'd have to see the letterhead and signage versions to give it a reluctant final nod.

For a graphic design business I reckon these are well wide of the mark, and I think you are too close to the question to be objective. I'd scrap the lot, and my advice would be to think about your target market and what sort of image you want to portray to them, get that into words, then get an outside designer to sketch some ideas.

I drew up some ideas for my company and took them to a professional designer, who took one look, said nothing, binned them, and inside of 10 minutes produced a killer logo that expressed everything I wanted and it still does.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)