ronyville
24-08-2010, 11:35 AM
fired???

inphinity
24-08-2010, 11:38 AM
Fired, or made redundant?

GameJunkie
24-08-2010, 11:39 AM
termination of employment, whichever way you look at it.

a liquor sting at my former work and i was at the center of it.

Cato
24-08-2010, 11:42 AM
Selling booze to kiddies?

GameJunkie
24-08-2010, 11:58 AM
yep..

ubergeek85
24-08-2010, 12:34 PM
Tut tut tut. Suck as much as it does, you don't **** around when selling alcohol. I don't.

Anyone even mentions alcohol when they look under 25, I immediately say "you got some ID"? They either say yes, or change their tune pretty quickly, and go for the coke, or a coffee.

I don't blame your boss for firing you, he could be up for $25,000 in fines, and lose his liquor licence.

Hell, I'm more anal about selling alcohol than my boss is; she's 'given' wine away on ANZAC day, and said 'oh you can pay me tomorrow'.

inphinity
24-08-2010, 12:42 PM
Raises a question for me - are you obliged to disclose the reason for termination to future prospective employers?? I know if I were looking to hire you I'd certainly want to know about this.

GameJunkie
24-08-2010, 12:47 PM
i think you do , yeah

Cato
24-08-2010, 01:15 PM
Meh, they had a sack ya I guess. Bad luck. **** happens.

KarameaDave
24-08-2010, 01:18 PM
Hope you find something better.

kenj
24-08-2010, 01:38 PM
Tough but that's life. Hope you find something soon though :thumbs:

By the way, there is a lovely lady on the checkout at the supermarket where we shop who always gives a smile and asks SWMBO and I for ID when we buy a bottle of wine.

That is just so nice as we are a couple of grey headed oldies..... love her ;)

Ken

pctek
24-08-2010, 01:52 PM
I was buying some cooking wine down the rd a few weeks back, guy came in and says to the serving guy, how marvellous the one down Swanson is, how lovely the lady is there that serves cause she doesn't check IDs and all the underage peoples go there for that reason.
He left, I said oh, nice lady who doesn't check huh? Why is that? No comment, just a red face from the serving guy there.........

GameJunkie
24-08-2010, 02:28 PM
i'd been there for almost 5 years, perfect record up til this happening , working hard to save to put myself through uni.

for something like this to happen its the worst feeling in the world.

frantically looking at places for a job, including on student job search, see how it goes.

nedkelly
24-08-2010, 02:48 PM
Im just glad that at work the supervisors have to authorise it.

Marnie
24-08-2010, 03:42 PM
I'm not going to preach, you've learned a lesson the hard way. There are people out there policing that sort of thing all the time. Your employer would have realised the consequences and taken the appropriate action.

At any interview for a prospective job, if the subject of previous employment and why your previous job was terminated, fess up and say you learned a valuable lesson you will never forget. Don't forget the perfect record before this happened.

Good luck.
Marnie

Snorkbox
24-08-2010, 03:55 PM
Good advice Marnie. Honesty is the best policy.

GameJunkie
24-08-2010, 03:56 PM
thanks

prefect
24-08-2010, 04:03 PM
Seems strange how you can get fired so easily, its close to impossible to fire anyone these days they just go the employment court.
The court is stacked in the employees favour they hardly ever lose.
I wish staff here would roll over and die like you did when I am trying to get rid of them.
Have to use plan B which is make everything unbearable so they leave on their own accord.
Plan A giving written warnings hasnt worked yet.
Plan C worked once cooking heaps of BBQ pork and drinking beer, chicks in low cut dresses hotpants and boob tubes worked to get rid of of a muslim mechanic.
I do however feel sorry for you losing your job they are like gold these days.

GameJunkie
24-08-2010, 06:29 PM
there was a range of options available and they chose to the last one.

im working through it though

hueybot3000
24-08-2010, 08:25 PM
Seems strange how you can get fired so easily, its close to impossible to fire anyone these days they just go the employment court.

Generally thats the case but if a law is broken, doesn't matter if it's intentional or not, id think they have every right to give ya the boot.

Still sucks though, good luck on the job hunt

GameJunkie
24-08-2010, 09:06 PM
thanks huey

forums12345
24-08-2010, 09:39 PM
i have being looking for a job for ages none wants me :crying:crying:crying:

Digby
24-08-2010, 09:47 PM
Sorry about that Gamejunkie,

Hope you get something soon.

Billy T
24-08-2010, 10:50 PM
Have to use plan B which is make everything unbearable so they leave on their own accord.

Plan B is one that many stupid employers use.... and they think they can get away with it. Maybe they do for a while too, but other employees notice and start thinking maybe the boss is an arseh0le.

In industrial law 'Plan B' can constitute a 'Constructive Dismissal' and if you do it to an intelligent employee, or one who at least has enough smarts to take advice after they quit (and if they don't have the smarts to do something positive, you'd better pray they don't come back and firebomb your workplace, or let the local mob know the fast way into the goodies). If they are smart though, they may go take the advice given, and if they do, you are probably gone for all money, especially since you can't claim you fired them for cause. And don't forget they were interviewed and hired in the first place, bad selection isn't their fault.

Plan B is the one of the hardest actions for an employer to defend, because there is no evidence you can present without dicking yourself. In the meantime, your ex-employee may go round a few other ex or even current employees and rustle up some corroborative evidence to support his or her case.

If an employee is no good, face up to your responsibilities, try to help them meet your standards, if they don't, give fair warnings and clear guidance as to what is expected of them and diary everything then, if your basis for taking action is sound, you can terminate without too much to worry about.

However, you were daft enough to post that statement here, where it will stay forever and you never know who might see it and make you eat your words.

Good luck, you may need it.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

What would I know? Oh, I dunno, maybe just 12 years full time at the coal face in industrial relations, as a senior advocate on jobs, in mediations and in the Courts looking after employees, and another 16 doing the same work 'on demand' on behalf of family, friends and other worthy candidates might have taught me a few things. Feeling lucky?

prefect
25-08-2010, 08:32 AM
Plan B just has to be carried out carefully so the employee wants to leave.
Another way is to play the staff against each other, divide and rule I think its called.
Its hard to get rid of unwanted staff but it can be done, my mate in earthmoving just layed everyone off went for a holiday came back and rehired some new people on a lower wage. We will call this one plan D.
Thanks for the good luck and I dont think you can find any company director with the name Prefect.

Trev
25-08-2010, 09:17 AM
Will I must get hold of Fairfax and get prefects email address then go to his ISP and find out his real name and address, then find out where his business is and firebomb it. Yes it can be done but most probably need a court order or something like it to do it. People on a forum who think they can hide behind a made up name are mistaken.
:)

prefect
25-08-2010, 09:26 AM
Will I must get hold of Fairfax and get prefects email address then go to his ISP and find out his real name and address, then find out where his business is and firebomb it. Yes it can be done but most probably need a court order or something like it to do it. People on a forum who think they can hide behind a made up name are mistaken.

Firebomb? :(
Isn't threatening to firebomb my business a bit illegal?

Erayd
25-08-2010, 10:11 AM
Another way is to play the staff against each other, divide and rule I think its called.That's *never* a good idea unless you're trying to destroy your business, as it has implications that go far beyond the staff member you're trying to get rid of. It results in terrible corporate culture, your staff won't work together well, communication becomes a thing of the past, corporate knowledge starts vanishing, and as a result of all this your company goes badly downhill. *Don't* use this as a technique to get rid of staff, it's a seriously stupid thing to do.

prefect
25-08-2010, 10:16 AM
That's *never* a good idea unless you're trying to destroy your business, as it has implications that go far beyond the staff member you're trying to get rid of. It results in terrible corporate culture, your staff won't work together well, communication becomes a thing of the past, corporate knowledge starts vanishing, and as a result of all this your company goes badly downhill. *Don't* use this as a technique to get rid of staff, it's a seriously stupid thing to do.

Actually things have been going downhill lol, thought it was the recession.

WalOne
25-08-2010, 10:47 AM
Sorry to hear you've lost your job GJ.

Hang in there, something will turn up for you. Good luck.

pctek
25-08-2010, 09:02 PM
i have being looking for a job for ages none wants me :crying:crying:crying:

Now, now - it hasn't been that long....

Cicero
25-08-2010, 09:12 PM
I saw a girl today,walking along with a bill board on,declaring she wanted work.

SP8's
26-08-2010, 12:21 AM
Cicero .... was she naked under the board .... and what price was written on it ???

I think it may be a new advertising gimmick :devil

Cicero
26-08-2010, 07:40 AM
Cicero .... was she naked under the board .... and what price was written on it ???

I think it may be a new advertising gimmick :devil

I didn't mention,that sick bags would be needed with that kind of activity,she was a #1.

Billy T
26-08-2010, 01:54 PM
Plan B just has to be carried out carefully so the employee wants to leave. Another way is to play the staff against each other, divide and rule I think its called. Its hard to get rid of unwanted staff but it can be done, my mate in earthmoving just layed everyone off went for a holiday came back and rehired some new people on a lower wage. We will call this one plan D. Thanks for the good luck and I dont think you can find any company director with the name Prefect.

I've nailed much smarter people than you Prefect, I took one smart-arsed employer all the way to the Employment Court and it cost them $50,000 in back pay, super contributions and compensation payments, plus reinstatement to the job, and when he tried to take it out on the employee by assigning him menial jobs only, I nailed him again for more compensation.

If you don't have factual grounds to dismiss, and haven't given the employee a fair go, you deserve what you get.

As for Plan D, that could damage your buddy's reputation as both a businessman and an employer. That might make it hard for him to find good staff, and bad staff could put him out of business.

On top of that, if retrospective investigation found that his actions were a 'device to defeat the Act' or in other words, a subterfuge intended to deny employees their lawful rights, he will still get hanged. There have been a number of 'fake redundancy' cases in recent years.

Your neanderthal thinking does you no credit at all, and I'll bet you'd sing a different song if it ever happened to you or a member of your family.

Schadenfreude would give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Billy

kenj
26-08-2010, 02:48 PM

He is here Trev.. 36.918767 S 174.624701 E

Ken :clap:clap:clap

KarameaDave
26-08-2010, 03:07 PM
Hmmm nice red roof...and I thought he was anti-commie! :D

Trev
26-08-2010, 03:50 PM
He is here Trev.. 36.918767 S 174.624701 E

Ken :clap:clap:clap
Better type that into Google Earth then zoom in. :lol:

prefect
26-08-2010, 04:19 PM
We need a Maggie Thatcher in NZ to get rid of militant workers and break the unions.
Since I am paying $12.00/hr on split shifts I dont have much trouble getting staff to move on they do it on their own accord lol.

Cicero
26-08-2010, 04:24 PM
Where the idea that they are doing you a favour working for you,is a mystery.

It is the other way round.

prefect
26-08-2010, 04:31 PM
The recession has its good points for employers.
Instead of advertising and poaching now got people on a waiting list.

Billy T
27-08-2010, 03:44 PM
Since I am paying $12.00/hr on split shifts I dont have much trouble getting staff to move on they do it on their own accord lol.

That is risible. Those who move on go because they know they can do better than work for a miserable **** like you, and those who stay will include the dregs who know that they'd be lucky to score a job elsewhere.

Bad employers get the staff they deserve, and a waiting list is no golden umbrella, staff turnover costs money, whichever way you look at it.

Treat staff that badly and they'll rape you then leave you. Some may even come back to visit your premises after hours.

Feeling lucky?

Billy

pctek
27-08-2010, 03:47 PM

* About prefect

Occupation
Bus driver

prefect
27-08-2010, 05:22 PM
That is risible. Those who move on go because they know they can do better than work for a miserable **** like you, and those who stay will include the dregs who know that they'd be lucky to score a job elsewhere.

Bad employers get the staff they deserve, and a waiting list is no golden umbrella, staff turnover costs money, whichever way you look at it.

Treat staff that badly and they'll rape you then leave you. Some may even come back to visit your premises after hours.

Feeling lucky?

Billy

If you want Education Dept contracts you have to bid low, its lowest tender which gets it.
Pay anymore to drivers it wont be competitive and no drivers will be required.
Go easy on the insults Billy, remember Angry lol unless you are one of the teachers pets as described by Karamea Dave.

hueybot3000
27-08-2010, 06:12 PM
* About prefect

Occupation
Bus driver

Thats a bit uncalled for, who cares what he does for a living?

pctek
27-08-2010, 06:45 PM
Thats a bit uncalled for, who cares what he does for a living?

I was curious to see what sort of business he has where he pays them $12 an hour.