PDA

View Full Version : Geo-Tagging

SurferJoe46
24-08-2010, 04:41 AM
Interesting article about the ability of authorities and certain 'need-to-know' legal groups to be able to find you via your cellphone.

But now the lid's off the ability and everyone can find everyone else with the new cellphones.

I've been able to take a cellphone pix from a friend and find the GPS co-ordinates in the pix (where it was taken/date/aperture/ISO numbers, etc) but the GPS info is in the tag-code and it was kinda interesting to see where some pictures were taken.

If someone tells me they are a certain place and they just sent me a pix - I can see where they REALLY are. I just plug the GPS numbers into either Google Maps or Google Earth for an easy way to see where they took the pix.

As far as I can tell at the moment - the pix logs the GPS, not were they are when they send it, so the pix is always telling on you!

The 'services' themselves set the gadgets as user-activated or de-activated for you to report to your friends where you are, have been, etc., but the camera is ALWAYS making these Geo-Tags, with or without you turning that part of the service on or off.

I personally don't have any nasty ulterior motives, (I DO have ulterior motives, but I don't think they're bad) and I just find it interesting to see where the pix was taken - but now Facebook is using that same Geo-Tag idea so you can trace your friends and associates to see where they travel and all this is in real-time too.

This HAS to be rife with all sorts of both positive and negative ramifications.

Jilted partners stalking you, auto insurance companies sniffing your driving habits, crazy psycho-types looking for another victim, etc.

Here's a link to an article to ponder:: MAGID (http://www.siliconvalley.com/opinion/ci_15842627?nclick_check=1)

And another article called "Here, There & Everywhere" (http://www.siliconvalley.com/opinion/ci_15832735)

Here's a sample of the data I can get off most cellphone pictures:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_cRmowvPKcq4/TFevW9ER2LI/AAAAAAAAEh4/F7gUgAcU53c/s640/Fullscreen%20capture%205132010%2083349%20AM.jpg

I was told this pix was taken in New Jersey. It was not.

Danger Will Robbins!

Erayd
24-08-2010, 06:49 AM
One of the things I love about my Android phone - geotagging is optional :thumbs:.

gary67
24-08-2010, 07:41 AM
I don't geotag my photo's uploaded to the web since I don't want Everyman and his dog turning up in some of the more remote places I visit

bob_doe_nz
24-08-2010, 01:29 PM
I don't geotag my photo's uploaded to the web since I don't want Everyman and his dog turning up in some of the more remote places I visit

Wouldn't that mean more tourists? Meaning more money in the local economy?

prefect
24-08-2010, 04:10 PM
Like you own these places in the Nelson and Buller region. My family has been in Nelson since July 1840 we dont mind sharing the place even to people not born in Nelson.
Ha ha it would be a disaster the missus would be able to work out I am not working but drinking piss down at the pub.

gary67
24-08-2010, 08:38 PM
Like you own these places in the Nelson and Buller region. My family has been in Nelson since July 1840 we dont mind sharing the place even to people not born in Nelson.
Ha ha it would be a disaster the missus would be able to work out I am not working but drinking piss down at the pub.

No I don't own them but it helps to keep the numbers down a bit