PDA

View Full Version : PLane Malware

pctek
23-08-2010, 01:07 PM
Malware may have been a contributory cause of a fatal Spanair crash that killed 154 people two years ago.

Spanair flight number JK 5022 crashed with 172 on board moments after taking off from Madrid's Barajas Airport on a scheduled flight to Las Palmas on 20 August 2008. Just 18 survived the crash and subsequent fire aboard the McDonnell Douglas MD-82 aircraft.

The airline's central computer which registered technical problems on planes was infected by Trojans at the time of the fatal crash and this resulted in a failure to raise an alarm over multiple problems with the plane, according to Spanish daily El Pais (report here). The plane took off with flaps and slats retracted, something that should in any case have been picked up by the pilots during pre-flight checks or triggered an internal warning on the plane. Neither happened, with tragic consequences, according to a report by independent crash investigators.

The accident on take-off happened after pilots had abandoned an earlier take-off attempt and a day after two other reported problems on board. If the airlines' central computer was working properly a take-off after three warnings would not have been allowed, thereby averting the tragedy.

A mechanic who checked the plane before take-off and an airport maintenance chief are under investigation and face possible manslaughter charges. Investigating judge Juan David Perez has ordered Spanair to supply data on the state of its systems at the time of the crash. An investigation commission is due to report on the case by December.

paulw
23-08-2010, 01:57 PM
Do these things run Windowz??

Cicero
23-08-2010, 02:33 PM
So many bits on a plane,I wonder how they keep them in the air.

The Error Guy
23-08-2010, 04:21 PM

Duct tape.. but where did the virus come from. the A/C would most likely have had a Custom OS (similar to how Air NZ uses linux on their entertainment systems) I would assume that the virus must have been especially written for it to work. if it wasn't a custom OS then how did the malware get onto the A/C computer?

R2x1
23-08-2010, 04:39 PM
Not on the A/C, the (claimed) virus was on the "The airline's central computer which registered technical problems on planes. . ." Should have been alright, their McAfee was updated just before the last bullfight.

R2x1
23-08-2010, 04:40 PM
They are very careful to avoid conveyor belts ;)

beeswax34
23-08-2010, 04:53 PM
BTW, the malware was on the computer's in the control tower, NOT the plane

pctek
23-08-2010, 04:57 PM
Not on the A/C, the (claimed) virus was on the "The airline's central computer which registered technical problems on planes. . ." Should have been alright, their McAfee was updated just before the last bullfight.

Nortons. LOL

Yeah I know - bad title - should have been Airline Malware or some such.

Cicero
23-08-2010, 05:36 PM
Duct tape..?

Wondered about that,thanks Error !!

WalOne
23-08-2010, 05:47 PM
Wondered about that,thanks Error !!

I wondered if they hadn't relied on drilling some holes at regular intervals where the wings join the fuselage. This worked on the same principle as toilet paper never tearing along the perforations, thus the wings stayed intact.

:groan:

Cicero
23-08-2010, 06:33 PM
I wondered if they hadn't relied on drilling some holes at regular intervals where the wings join the fuselage. This worked on the same principle as toilet paper never tearing along the perforations, thus the wings stayed intact.

It was asked ,why do we like Press F1,here is an example of why......

where else can we get such good info,I ask you?:nerd:

Terry Porritt
23-08-2010, 07:02 PM
It was asked ,why do we like Press F1,here is an example of why......

where else can we get such good info,I ask you?:nerd:
Whilst you are in the mood for info Cic, expanding upon WalOnes' explanation, it is well known that drilled holes are used to relieve stress. Hence a whole series of holes will relieve stress completely.

Cicero
23-08-2010, 07:05 PM
Whilst you are in the mood for info Cic, expanding upon WalOnes' explanation, it is well known that drilled holes are used to relieve stress. Hence a whole series of holes will relieve stress completely.

If you could see me now,you would see me shaking-in my head in wonder,thanks for that Ter,great team as our Billy would put it...

R2x1
23-08-2010, 09:20 PM
I beg to differ, there are 120 of them in the beehive, and they cause more stress than aerobatics and crosswind landings ever did. Perhaps more drill would improve matters? ;-)

WalOne
23-08-2010, 09:41 PM
I beg to differ, there are 120 of them in the beehive, and they cause more stress than aerobatics and crosswind landings ever did. Perhaps more drill would improve matters? ;-)

120 what?

:devil

R2x1
23-08-2010, 09:42 PM
It is believed the plane was overweight due to it's saturated condition, after all,

The rain in Spain fell mainly on - - -

WalOne
23-08-2010, 09:45 PM

The Error Guy
23-08-2010, 11:16 PM
Oh. so the ATC's were on too many dodgy sites and as a result geeshed (Broke, destroyed. BSOD'd or whatever) the handy dandy Computer and busted up the A/C (insurance brokers were not happy)

now if that had happened on an AWACS they would have been biffed out the emergency exit, explosive decompression or not.

gary67
24-08-2010, 07:54 AM
They were using an iPlane system since they just work and don't get viruses, sure made the plane look pretty and cost the owners twice as much as a normal plane. :devil

Agent_24
24-08-2010, 12:46 PM
I heard about this years ago I'm sure...