PDA

View Full Version : Blocking websites

deno240
22-08-2010, 10:32 PM
I'm not sure how to word this, I know how to block websites with the hosts, or another application (K9 web protection or something similar), but say I downloaded mozilla firefox or another web browser on my flash drive then plugged it into my computer, would I still be able to access that website through the flash drive on the computer, even though that website is blocked?
Hopefully someone can understand my question.

deno240
22-08-2010, 10:56 PM
Unable to edit my post (Grr!)

Changing my question -

I found out blocked websites CAN still be accessed through another browser installed on a flash drive.

My friend's teen is banned from going on facebook and bebo and other similar social networking sites. Said person uses 'tor' browser to access the above sites.

Is there a way to block them from being accessed apart from taking away the computer and flash drive?

The laptop that is being used is the teen's own that was bought with own money, flash drives can easily be replaced.

angry
22-08-2010, 10:57 PM
I'm not sure how to word this, I know how to block websites with the hosts, or another application (K9 web protection or something similar), but say I downloaded mozilla firefox or another web browser on my flash drive then plugged it into my computer, would I still be able to access that website through the flash drive on the computer, even though that website is blocked?
Hopefully someone can understand my question.

did you block in the browse, or with a third party app that sits between the browser, and the router or nett connection.

angry
22-08-2010, 11:00 PM
Unable to edit my post (Grr!)

Changing my question -

I found out blocked websites CAN still be accessed through another browser installed on a flash drive.

My friend's teen is banned from going on facebook and bebo and other similar social networking sites. Said person uses 'tor' browser to access the above sites.

Is there a way to block them from being accessed apart from taking away the computer and flash drive?

The laptop that is being used is the teen's own that was bought with own money, flash drives can easily be replaced.

how is teen acessing the nett from his laptop.

as the laptop is his it will be difficult to remove his admin priveledges permanently.

chilling silence among others could probably tell you what app to put in a router if you are using such.

deno240
22-08-2010, 11:01 PM
I just blocked through the host file..
I don't know a hell of alot about computers so can't give much advice to my friend which is why i thought i'd ask here.

Speedy Gonzales
22-08-2010, 11:01 PM
If there's a router in this somewhere (and its got a url blocking option), add the sites to it. May pay to change the login password, if you do

deno240
22-08-2010, 11:05 PM
Good idea about blocking via the router!
Will give that a go.
Thanks!

Speedy Gonzales
22-08-2010, 11:13 PM
No probs

deno240
22-08-2010, 11:25 PM
Thanks!
It has worked.

Had forgot to tick "yes" for website filtering, once I realized my mistake, it worked like a charm.

Thank you again.

Speedy Gonzales
22-08-2010, 11:30 PM
Sweet ! However hopefully noone else goes to these sites. They'll probably get blocked as well. If you add too many entries to the hosts file, the browser / or websites may take longer to load

deno240
22-08-2010, 11:35 PM
Yeah we realize that.

Just tested it through the tor network, and it seems as though blocking through the router doesn't work. I only tested through the browser on the computer before, not the browser on the flash drive..

coldot
22-08-2010, 11:35 PM
Wrong approach - unless the aim is to make the teen into a very proficient computer hacker. The more you try to ban something the harder the teen works to get around the blockade.
I suggest old-fashioned parenting: "If you don't stop accessing those sites I have forbidden then I'll take your computer away from you and allow you to use it only under my direct supervision."
If the teen calls a lawyer to protect its right to the PC then take away the connection to the internet. Presumably the teen isn't given so much pocket money that the teen has its own broadband connection!

Speedy Gonzales
22-08-2010, 11:39 PM
Yup in that case, either remove the flash drive, if he uses that. Or both

deno240
22-08-2010, 11:40 PM
Wrong approach - unless the aim is to make the teen into a very proficient computer hacker. The more you try to ban something the harder the teen works to get around the blockade.
I suggest old-fashioned parenting: "If you don't stop accessing those sites I have forbidden then I'll take your computer away from you and allow you to use it only under my direct supervision."
If the teen calls a lawyer to protect its right to the PC then take away the connection to the internet. Presumably the teen isn't given so much pocket money that the teen has its own broadband connection!

Yeah, but unfortunately there is ALOT more to it than that.
It's not just accessing the above websites that is the problem.

In this case, it is highly unlikely a lawyer would be called as it would end up getting them into alot more trouble than it's worth.

Edited to add, the said teen has been told about these sites being blocked, and they are more than happy for that to be done. Just wanted the sites blocked to help prevent temptation of logging in. (influence of friends etc)

wainuitech
22-08-2010, 11:41 PM
Have a read of the last post here (http://forums.opendns.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=3917) -- Closing outgoing ports 9001 and 9030 will prevent Tor clients to access (most) Tor servers and effectively block the use of Tor.

deno240
22-08-2010, 11:45 PM
Have a read of the last post here (http://forums.opendns.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=3917) -- Closing outgoing ports 9001 and 9030 will prevent Tor clients to access (most) Tor servers and effectively block the use of Tor.

I did read that, but couldn't get my head around it.
How do I block outgoing ports? I see how to block websites, but not ports.

Chilling_Silence
23-08-2010, 09:21 AM
chilling silence among others could probably tell you what app to put in a router if you are using such.

Thanks! ;-)

Your router may not be capable of blocking the outgoing ports, unfortunately. Something like tomato or gargoyle firmware may be able to solve your issue. I'm just gonna come it and say your going to be fighting a losing battle unless you happen to bring good old fashioned parenting into it, as was suggested ;-)

:pf1mobmini:

fred_fish
23-08-2010, 09:34 AM
Withhold food until he complies. :)

DeSade
23-08-2010, 10:05 AM
There is software (usually used by corporates, so I do not know much about it) that can block flash drives on the computer, that may sort out the issue.

nedkelly
23-08-2010, 10:09 AM
On my router (Netgear WGR614v7) I click block services and I can block ports going in or out.
Which router is being used?

Speedy Gonzales
23-08-2010, 10:15 AM
I think it was telecom's thomson router

deno240
23-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Yeah, thomson router.
Blocking flash drives isn't going to be the answer.
It's blocking the tor network that is important.

nedkelly
23-08-2010, 11:32 AM
I tested it just before and who ever said port 9001 and some other one was right, if you block those ports then the program on the flash drive can not connect to the tor network

deno240
23-08-2010, 11:46 AM
That's great.. Now to find out if I can block ports on telecom's thomson router.
I'd ring telecom and ask them, but 99% of the time I get an operator who can never understand me and vice versa :/

nedkelly
23-08-2010, 11:49 AM
hmm do you know the exact model (I only have one of the small single pc thomson modems)

deno240
23-08-2010, 11:53 AM
it's THOMSON TG585v7 (Wireless router)

wainuitech
23-08-2010, 11:58 AM
I tested it just before and who ever said port 9001 and some other one was right, if you block those ports then the program on the flash drive can not connect to the tor network That would be Me ;) -- if the router cant actually block the port.

I was also reading that there may be another way around it.

No Idea if this will work with TOR, but costs nothing to try:

If you go into the routers Settings and port Forward / Redirect the ports that TOR uses to a LAN address that nothing is connected to it "should" stop it.

Example: One of my servers has ports 443 & 4125 redirected to it Example (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Servers.jpg), allows remote access.

So if you entered the router, and set it to a disused number, lets take the example above, if I pointed to 192.168.1.45 they would go nowhere.

Downside -- is the culprit discovers the port its forwarded to and sets the PC to that IP address - Thats where strict security passwords on the router will help so they cant enter the router settings.

Edited: got a few things to do, but I'll load up TOR and then redirect the ports to nowhere on the LAN and see what happens.

deno240
23-08-2010, 12:11 PM
I still can't see anything about port forwarding on the router.

DeSade
23-08-2010, 12:20 PM
This link might help.

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Thomson-Alcatel/TG585v7/TG585v7index.htm

wainuitech
23-08-2010, 01:00 PM
Update -- The suggestion I made before about port forwarding to unused IP address worked great.

Because I have ports 80 & 443 redirected to other PC's here, under the TOR settings (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/TOR.PNG), those are default ones - when TOR was activated the browser went nowhere, no sites at all - gave the impression it was jammed. Then disabled the port forwarding to ports 80 / 443 and tor worked, replaced them with 9001 & 9030, once agin TOR was blocked. SO it looks like if the sites you want are blocked else where, & if TOR is being used, by redirecting the ports listed it stops it DEAD.

deno240
23-08-2010, 01:17 PM
This link might help.

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Thomson-Alcatel/TG585v7/TG585v7index.htm

I want to block specific ports though, and tor isn't listed there.
Wainui's method seems the best option, blocking ports 9001 and 9030 but it's still finding out exactly how to block those specific ports on my router.

wainuitech
23-08-2010, 02:09 PM
This site here (http://www.zensupport.co.uk/knowledgebase/article.aspx?id=10883) gives some clues, but without actually having the router model I dont know if they are accurate or not.