PDA

View Full Version : how to stop hiccups?!

jareemon
21-08-2010, 11:06 PM
ive been hiccuping for the last hour, solid. does anyone have any proven techniques?

Renmoo
21-08-2010, 11:10 PM
Drink more water.

Voluntarily stop your breathing for as long as possible.

Ask someone to give you a fright

ehow.com

jareemon
21-08-2010, 11:14 PM
Drink more water.

Voluntarily stop your breathing for as long as possible.

Ask someone to give you a fright

ehow.com

what if i pass out?
and i think if i know someone is going to give me a fright then it wont work..

rob_on_guitar
21-08-2010, 11:22 PM
Distraction

BobM
21-08-2010, 11:24 PM
Paper bag pressed over mouth. Inhale, exhale, till they stop. Might take a few minutes.
Good luck.

Marnie
21-08-2010, 11:25 PM
Try a spoonful of sugar, hold it on your tongue until it dissolves.

xyz823
21-08-2010, 11:27 PM
Yea hold your breath until you almost pass out, then exhale and inhale deeply for about 30s and they should stop.

SP8's
21-08-2010, 11:43 PM
Peppermint .... the cordial stuff they use to mix drinks with ... shot glass full of it and hiccups will disappear.

jareemon
21-08-2010, 11:56 PM
geez you guys have some far out ideas :rolleyes:

SoniKalien
22-08-2010, 12:06 AM
Stand on your head while reciting the alphabet backwards

wainuitech
22-08-2010, 12:17 AM
Well the internet is never wrong Some suggestions (http://www.ehow.com/how_116950_stop-hiccups.html).

From the Believe it or not file -- This is from SWMBO -- Personally I thought she was crazy when she told me last time I had them :waughh: :waughh:

As she said - take two fingers and place them in the center of your eyebrows above each eye, move them up till you feel the edge of the bone, gently apply pressure -- after about 30 - 45 seconds you should feel them stopping.:confused:

Last time I had the hiccups she told me this - I cracked up laughing while hiccuping -- she said I'll do it -- Bugger me it worked, and shes done it for other people as well. Its got something to do with a Nerve she says.

If you do it right and dont have the hiccups you actually can feel a slight pressure in the back of your throat.

BobM
22-08-2010, 12:17 AM
Don't try & beat Charles Osbourne. :)

wmoore
22-08-2010, 12:19 AM
fill a glass to the brim with water, and then drink it from the top of glass. So basically your chin is in the glass. Best idea to do over the sink.

rob_on_guitar
22-08-2010, 12:25 AM
Cover yourself with honey and wait for the ants!

Orca
22-08-2010, 12:36 AM
All these ideas are pretty wacky. However I will tell you the strategy that works for me every time (which I invented).

1. Fill up a glass of water.
2. Take a mouthful of water and swallow it.
3. Then swallow again (without water) about 3-5 times.
4. Repeat steps 2 & 3 about 5 times and that should clear it.

Anyway the technique suppresses the hiccups from occurring. Basically you have to swallow the next mouthful of water before you hiccup again or you'll likely have to start again as it resets all you've done. You might feel a bit bloated for 5mins but you can just burp it off.

R2x1
22-08-2010, 01:21 AM
More beer is always good, regardless of the ailment.

For really severe hiccups, take a very strong laxative, you will be too scared to hiccup.

Paul.Cov
22-08-2010, 09:29 AM
Well the internet is never wrong Some suggestions (http://www.ehow.com/how_116950_stop-hiccups.html).

As she said - take two fingers and place them in the center of your eyebrows above each eye, move them up till you feel the edge of the bone, gently apply pressure -- after about 30 - 45 seconds you should feel them stopping.:confused:

If you do it right and dont have the hiccups you actually can feel a slight pressure in the back of your throat.

Bizzare! But interesting!

Where you've described there is indeed a nerve. It's usual function is to maintain muscular tone in the musscles of the upper eyelid. Damage to the nerve being evidenced by a droopy upper lid.

If you feel carefully along the boney ridge of the brow you will feel a slight notch in the bone. The nerve runs down the forehead and passes through this notch (the notch exists to protect the nerve from blows to the brow).
I'd be very keen to know if fine tuning your localisation of this nerve does the trick.

As for my own hiccup strategy (it's difficult to do). My technique involves trying to keep the gullet open. I do this by very, very slowly 'sculling' a glass of water. The idea is not to sip, and not to swallow, but to let the water very slowly and continuously flow down your throat. Probably as with the other replies, concentration (and distraction) is the key element.

You have my sympathies, I hate the hiccups!

jareemon
22-08-2010, 09:53 AM
Bizzare! But interesting!

Where you've described there is indeed a nerve. It's usual function is to maintain muscular tone in the musscles of the upper eyelid. Damage to the nerve being evidenced by a droopy upper lid.

If you feel carefully along the boney ridge of the brow you will feel a slight notch in the bone. The nerve runs down the forehead and passes through this notch (the notch exists to protect the nerve from blows to the brow).
I'd be very keen to know if fine tuning your localisation of this nerve does the trick.

As for my own hiccup strategy (it's difficult to do). My technique involves trying to keep the gullet open. I do this by very, very slowly 'sculling' a glass of water. The idea is not to sip, and not to swallow, but to let the water very slowly and continuously flow down your throat. Probably as with the other replies, concentration (and distraction) is the key element.

You have my sympathies, I hate the hiccups!

i knew there were a few wacky ideas out there, but this is incredible lol
i eventually got rid of them by drinking water, ironically it was the least weird suggestion :)

BigBadBob
22-08-2010, 01:40 PM
You might laugh at this but - think hard about what you had for breakfast yesterday?

supposed to be 80% effective. Don't ask me how but it works.

mikebartnz
22-08-2010, 03:04 PM
Hold your breath for thirty plus seconds.

johcar
22-08-2010, 03:36 PM
Hold your breath for thirty plus seconds.

Half an hour is a guaranteed method.

No, I haven't tried it myself... :D