PDA

View Full Version : Intel Buys McAfee --- Say WOT???!!!???

SurferJoe46
21-08-2010, 04:06 PM
I know youse guys know this - but here's another slant.

This is just too-o-o-o bizarre. (http://blogs.siliconvalley.com/gmsv/2010/08/friday-morning-quarterbacking-intel-and-mcafees-onside-kick.html)

What do they think they know that no-one else does?

• Dean Takahashi at VentureBeat, who knows chips, says “Intel has never taken as big a risk,” and that the deal between the world’s biggest chip maker and the software-security giant will “make or break” Intel CEO Paul Otellini. In a meaty analysis that provides plenty of context about Intel, including its previous missteps, Takahashi questions the wisdom of the company’s move into software and the steep price it seems to be paying for it. And if the deal is about Intel securing a place in mobile and in the cloud, which Intel cited when it announced the deal, he says McAfee “remains unproven” in those areas.

Say Goodbye to Intel folks!

I don't worry about McAfee much at all. :D

wainuitech
21-08-2010, 04:10 PM
Seems the USA is behind :D That was so yesterdays news (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=112004).

xyz823
21-08-2010, 04:10 PM
Heard somewhere that they also brought a router company? Then the suggestion popped up that they may be implementing anti virus "into" the router, so that viruses etc get picked up and cleaning before the even get to the computer. :waughh:

Read it in the comments section on maximumpc I think?

May be quite far off but for Intel to buy McAfee they must have something cooked up.

Especially for $7.68 Billion! :eek:

Edit: Here (http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/intel_acquire_mcafee_768_billion)

Paul.Cov
21-08-2010, 04:22 PM
Heard somewhere that they also brought a router company? Then the suggestion popped up that they may be implementing anti virus "into" the router, so that viruses etc get picked up and cleaning before the even get to the computer. :waughh:

That would actually make sense - to make everyones doorway to the internet the point of security. This way the router acts as antivirus and firewall, and there is zero flow of data in or out without this security being up and running (unlike Windows, where firewalls and antivirus apps have to stand in line for startup... possibly starting after malware has loaded.

As such, the router could auto update as well, eliminating the human from the equation.

One problem however is that a system secured this way is still vulnerable to the original attack vectors - removable media. Discs, USB sticks, but it would certainly slow down the malware threat.

SurferJoe46
21-08-2010, 04:26 PM
Have youse guys got the newest edition of WIRED?

The cover is over by the advertisement to subscribe: http://www.wired.com/magazine/

In red and kinda interesting.

I got my copy in the mail yesterday and it's blatantly in-your-face where the WWW is going I think.

Right down the ol' Tamil Nadu - maybe?!?!

Paul.Cov
22-08-2010, 09:32 AM
The web is dead? Blame the record companies and the music industry!

SurferJoe46
22-08-2010, 10:12 AM
The web is dead? Blame the record companies and the music industry!

Prince (The Artist Formerly Know As:::) said so too a few months ago.

johcar
22-08-2010, 03:38 PM
That would actually make sense - to make everyones doorway to the internet the point of security. This way the router acts as antivirus and firewall, and there is zero flow of data in or out without this security being up and running (unlike Windows, where firewalls and antivirus apps have to stand in line for startup... possibly starting after malware has loaded.

As such, the router could auto update as well, eliminating the human from the equation.

One problem however is that a system secured this way is still vulnerable to the original attack vectors - removable media. Discs, USB sticks, but it would certainly slow down the malware threat.

On the face of it, it makes sense. The problem being that it's McAfee. We all know what that product does!!!

R2x1
22-08-2010, 04:13 PM
Well, if everybody installs McAfee they will need major processing power to get the email going at over 3 messages an hour, and just who benefits from high-end processor sales?
Idiots buy McAfee now, that is not going to change.
If the McMorons are given any power at all at the combined entity, the anti-virus will be embedded in every Intel chip. HOT TIP > > > - Buy AMD stock now - < < <

Wainuitech is going to be on extended hours trying to root out the evil beast.

wainuitech
22-08-2010, 04:31 PM
:D Guess we'll have to wait and see what develops.

While Intel have brought McArubbish - if they do include it into the chips, there should hopefully be an option to disable it. I can just see all the other problems with Other AV's clashing if installed.

IF no option to disable and there's a lot of troubles people wont buy the products - when the bottom line -$$$ gets hit, things change real quick.;)

goodiesguy
22-08-2010, 06:26 PM
Thank God I Buy AMD