PDA

View Full Version : Is it the same?

Cato
20-08-2010, 09:36 AM
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10667406

She crushed a guy who was passed out on the road...
Why is her sentence as bad as the one who killed someone feeling from the cops?

Sure, she was drunk and she needs to be punished for that, but if a guy was passed out on the road there is a high degree of probability that someone would have crushed him, right?
Surely she didn't deserve to be tried for "careless driving causing death"?

It could have been one of us who ran over a drunk idiot passed out the road, would we be charged with "careless driving causing death"?

Arnie
20-08-2010, 10:11 AM
I think fleeing after she new she ran over someone is the major problem here.

pctek
20-08-2010, 10:35 AM
Judge Emma Smith sentenced McNelis to eight months' home detention, nine months' supervision and disqualified her from driving for 18 months.

The sentence covered several charges, plus previous charges of excess breath alcohol, common assault and a community work breach.

"She drove over the victim, causing massive head injuries and his instantaneous death," Mr Harris said. McNelis did not stop and made no attempt to contact emergency services despite having a cellphone with her.

Pathetic. She'd driven drunk before, runs him over and then runs away, not even calling 111.

And gets home detention for a bit.
You really can murder someone in a car, drunk or not and get away with it.

Cato
20-08-2010, 11:57 AM
Edit:

Never mind, I was thinking of something else.
Careless driving causing injury – section 38 of the Land Transport Act 1998. It is an offence to operate a vehicle on a road carelessly or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the road, and by that act or omission cause an injury to or the death of another person.

Penalty:

The maximum penalty is imprisonment of up to 3 months or a fine of up to $4500. The Court must disqualify you from driving for 6 months or more.

But I still don't think running over a drunk moron in the middle of the road is as bad as killing someone fleeing from the cops. Both sentences should be harsher. This one only because she was drunk, had she not been drunk and run over some idiot passed out in the middle of the road I think it would have been a non-issue.