PDA

View Full Version : Why do you like pressf1?

jareemon
18-08-2010, 09:05 PM
I've been a member of this site for a bit, but never really been involved much. Recently I have been trying to help people as much as I can in general, and with my schedule, pressf1 makes it easier to do it more often.
Just wondering why you guys each spend time on pressf1, particularly you guys that have rediculously huge amounts of posts...

gary67
18-08-2010, 09:13 PM
Hmmm started out when I was studying IT due to being off work with a major shoulder problem that needed surgery and 12months recovery and sort of went on from there and I like helping people out and receiving help when I need it. I am a hands on type of person having worked in construction all my life so far first as a carpenter and now as a joiner

pcuser42
18-08-2010, 09:15 PM
Boredom mostly :p

And as for my huge post count, you can blame the thread that shall not be named...

Cicero
18-08-2010, 09:19 PM
Becasuse I meet the likes of Wainui,Zqwert,Terry,Metla,Speedy,R2d2 etc.

Billy T
18-08-2010, 09:57 PM
Excellent assistance when you need it, no nasty comments or put-downs for simple questions, sensible moderation (boy I could mention some sites with Beelzebub in the chair) real friendly people, no kiddie geek talk, Chat forum always has something interesting going on, and for me, spending 10+ hours most days in a windowless room with just a glass block panel to tell me whether it is day or night, it is a refreshing change from my work.

Only two forums helps as well, I belong to another site with about 20 separate forums, all with the same people shuffling the same cards, and with moderators fron hell who delete threads/posts at a whim, lock threads they don't like and generally act like neurotic nannies.

Press F1 is what we make it, so a round of applause for the team. :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap:
Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Chilling_Silence
18-08-2010, 10:02 PM
I've been here for around a decade now (Damn that's a long time), I stick around because Metlas entertaining and this sums me up:
http://xkcd.com/386

Metla
18-08-2010, 10:19 PM
I'm here because the good folk of pressf1 elected me as Prez of NZ.

Metla
18-08-2010, 10:19 PM
Heh, has it been 6 years since the big forum upgrade?

jareemon
18-08-2010, 10:22 PM
I've been here for around a decade now (Damn that's a long time), I stick around because Metlas entertaining and this sums me up:
http://xkcd.com/386
LOL, that's me except i have my laptop in bed, and theres no girl calling me...:(

Cicero
18-08-2010, 10:28 PM
.and theres no girl calling me...:(

Maybe one day you can have a SHMBO.

Strommer
18-08-2010, 10:54 PM

+1

Some good laughs here, e.g. Cicero's signature. :D

I also learn quite a bit on both PF1 forums, and once in awhile I manage to help someone.

rob_on_guitar
18-08-2010, 10:59 PM
Needed help, it came at a price....

SurferJoe46
19-08-2010, 02:58 AM
I'm here studying inverted life forms for my Doctorate in Anthropology.

Paul.Cov
19-08-2010, 10:04 AM
Well, I'm not a big or long term contributor by any stretch, but I appreciate the place for the maturity of the posters (probably largely thanks to the mods keeping a rein on things and preventing it all turning juvenile), plus it's just nice to learn and to lurk here. There's no end of issues, and you never know when you'll need those answers yourself.
Otherwise, I just like helping people.

Chilling_Silence
19-08-2010, 10:12 AM
:thumbs:

pctek
19-08-2010, 10:38 AM
Like both Cicero and Speedy says.
The help part is good - but it's well moderated and therefore entertaining as well.

WalOne
19-08-2010, 10:50 AM
Excellent assistance when you need it, no nasty comments or put-downs for simple questions, sensible moderation (boy I could mention some sites with Beelzebub in the chair) real friendly people, no kiddie geek talk, Chat forum always has something interesting going on.

Press F1 is what we make it, so a round of applause for the team. :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap:
Cheers

Billy 8-{)

x 2. In a nutshell!

PS Billy - what do you do that condemns you to spending half your time in a windowless room?

Bozo
19-08-2010, 11:32 AM
I'm here studying inverted life forms for my Doctorate in Anthropology.

Sums it up nicely - not a crazy active member in terms of posting - but always browsing and enjoying the knowledge, whit, and general awesomeness that most members possess :D

Richard
19-08-2010, 11:38 AM

Oi!

kenj
19-08-2010, 11:57 AM
Mostly the thoughtful and well reasoned discussions!

Lots of fun as well.

Ken :thumbs:

johcar
19-08-2010, 12:01 PM
Mostly the thoughtful and well reasoned discussions!

Lots of fun as well.

Ken :thumbs:

With some notable exceptions!! :D

But they tend to be the most entertaining!!!!

SolMiester
19-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Well, even with years of experience, you cant know all the answers and pressf1 is another site with some smart IT members

Marnie
19-08-2010, 12:24 PM
So many have summed it up. The help is given freely and I am forever grateful I live in a country where so many will lend a helping hand without any thought of remuneration. The moderators do a terrific job and often members will quickly pull someone into line if they start to treat someone's problem as a big joke.
I first joined because I needed help with something, actually I often need help:). I have learned a lot and have been able to help out friends who class themselves as complete computer dummies; but their skills lie in other areas.
I am often lurking, maybe just to do a search or to read the posts. I have had many a good laugh at some of the posts where humour is the theme.
Cheers,
Marnie

SP8's
19-08-2010, 12:27 PM
Depth of knowledge is outstanding. My computer has been saved from being tied to the end of a rope holding my boat from floating away many times by the brilliance of the techs and others.

Never, in the history of human endeavour have I owed so much to so few ....

And of course ... Billy's jokes and taking the p!ss outa SurferJoe ... well that's just priceless.

shermo
19-08-2010, 02:43 PM
Because most of my acquaintances in everyday life are liberal well-educated white people. It's always good to see what other people's perspectives are.

Billy T
19-08-2010, 02:51 PM
PS Billy - what do you do that condemns you to spending half your time in a windowless room?

I'm an 'electrical-electronic issues' consultant mainly, and I do spend a small amount of time on sites with that work and my sideline occupations. Mostly I go to meetings, carry out on-site inspections, come back here and write reports so that the the guilty can be promoted and the innocent persecuted. As just one example, I've been involved in the development of all the main hospitals from Auckland to north of Taupo but the range of work is infinite. Furtherest I've travelled for a job is India, but I've been to the US about five times to lecture to attorneys in another area of expertise.

Generally speaking I get called in when everybody else has given up and they've run out of sacrificial chickens, cows, and consultants.

It is not boring though, every day brings surprises and challenges, but my tiny office is a bit of a pain. If anybody visits me I have to leave the room, there's not space for both of us in here. :D

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

prefect
19-08-2010, 03:02 PM
Wanui: saved my ass twice when I have had computer meltdowns.

Roddy Boy : bit of humour sadly lacking in todays world. I bet he would be a good guy to go on the piss with.

Jocar: all round balanced nice guy never held it against me I have tried to squish his cycling brethren.

BigBadBob
19-08-2010, 03:04 PM
Great help from Techs & real nice people here generally.
Although I sometimes wonder how good techies can afford to spend so much time on here and make a living. Some must have almost no customers/work at all. Or spend 36hrs a day 'on the job'!

ubergeek85
19-08-2010, 03:19 PM
What's not to like. Good bunch of people. Have some laughs, learn new stuff (hell, one link can send me off on a spree for 3+ hours!).

Roddy Boy : bit of humour sadly lacking in todays world. I bet he would be a good guy to go on the piss with.

Just don't let him drive home. Or there, in fact :D

SurferJoe46
19-08-2010, 04:02 PM
...(cont'd) ::: and the technical training I've gotten in things L-based has made me the Linux code writer I am today.

Why - just this morning I had all sorts of memorable words and phrases for those who helped me TOTALLY ERASE SIX 500G HDDS OF DATA THAT HAD TOTALLY NON-REPLACEABLE VIDEO AND MP3 FILES.

But that was several years ago and I've completely forgotten about that by now.

pctek
19-08-2010, 04:37 PM
Because most of my acquaintances in everyday life are liberal well-educated white people.

:eek:
Ah yes, us brown, yellow, purple, uneducated types.

I sometimes wonder how good techies can afford to spend so much time on here and make a living.
Some of us couldn't.

Why - just this morning I had all sorts of memorable words and phrases for those who helped me TOTALLY ERASE SIX 500G HDDS OF DATA THAT HAD TOTALLY NON-REPLACEABLE VIDEO AND MP3 FILES.

Really? We did?:eek:

CliveM
19-08-2010, 04:40 PM
I have learnt and I am still learning a great many things in this forum. I rarely am able to help anyone else but I am most grateful for the education that I receive, at no cost, from you all.

wainuitech
19-08-2010, 05:02 PM
To get away from SWMBO :devil Only Kidding.

I've always enjoyed helping others where I can in what ever I do, and what goes around usually comes around.

Theres always more to learn, no one knows everything.

Coming on here also keeps the Ol brain ticking over trying to solve problems -- general day to day stuff can become routine and boring.

As others have said - lots of different people, lots always going on on way or another.
Although I sometimes wonder how good techies can afford to spend so much time on here and make a living. Sometimes in between jobs there is nothing else to do -- any excuse not to do paper work Grrrrrrrrr. Other times like now -- I have Two customers PC's running scans in the workshop - nothing to do on them till they finish. Mind you do have to go out to a job shortly -- So TTFN till later :D

Snorkbox
19-08-2010, 05:41 PM
In general I just like helping out when I can. Being as I'm retired I have plenty of time on my hands to fill in.

The collective knowledge here is great.

SurferJoe46
19-08-2010, 05:51 PM
:eek:

Really? We did?:eek:

TOTALLY!

Jen
19-08-2010, 08:26 PM
Why do I like PF1? I do ask myself that sometimes as I turn prematurely grey from some of the antics that go on. :rolleyes:

Apart from that, PF1 is a fabulous community with some awesome members who give so much of their time so freely - not just with the techie stuff either. We are a family. :thumbs:

But that was several years ago and I've completely forgotten about that by now.Meh. Who needs 500 gigs of entertainment files when you can have 500 gigs of pure, unadulterated Linux code (or ext3 file system). :devil

wainuitech
19-08-2010, 08:33 PM
Why do I like PF1?

Apart from that, PF1 is a fabulous community with some awesome members who give so much of their time so freely - not just with the techie stuff either. We are a family. :thumbs: :banana Press F1 Theme song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBpYgpF1bqQ&feature=related) ??? :punk

Jen
19-08-2010, 08:43 PM
:banana Press F1 Theme song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBpYgpF1bqQ&feature=related) ??? :punkOhhh ... we could have that music play as new members register!!

May scare off a few wanna-be spammers trying to sell these :pf1mobile: and :pf1mob: these! :p

xyz823
19-08-2010, 08:47 PM
Hmmm I think everyone has covered it!!

Great knowledge base...
Great people...
Great mods...

A good local forum thats not too big or too small :D

gary67
19-08-2010, 09:00 PM
Wanna buy one of these :pf1mobile:? Going cheap only 3 left better hurry stocks running out :lol:

pcuser42
19-08-2010, 09:47 PM
Only ten :pf1mobile: left (despite none of them being here) :lol:

SurferJoe46
20-08-2010, 04:23 AM
Ohhh ... we could have that music play as new members register!!

May scare off a few wanna-be spammers trying to sell these :pf1mobile: and :pf1mob: these! :p

Make it mandatory that they have to listen to it and enter the first verse in TAB as one of those CAPTCHA tests.

Mr Wetzyl
20-08-2010, 06:29 AM
I like it cos of Speedy Gonzales. He is always ready to help....

jareemon
20-08-2010, 11:07 AM
Ohhh ... we could have that music play as new members register!!

Hello sir, we are asia electronics wholesale company,

wratterus
20-08-2010, 11:09 AM
We will be much joy to sell for you the cheap electrics

jareemon
20-08-2010, 11:11 AM
only genuine item, manufacture by sony,

Bozo
20-08-2010, 02:13 PM
We will be much joy to sell for you the cheap electrics
:D Made me laugh :D

beetle
20-08-2010, 07:00 PM
Where else would we go?????

:confused:

beetle

gary67
20-08-2010, 07:45 PM
Where else would we go?????

:confused:

beetle

Cheap F1, herro we here to help are so solly no problems

goodiesguy
21-08-2010, 05:44 PM
I like it because of all the wonderful people here. A Big Thanks Goes to Speedy Gonzales and Wanuitech. They have helped me alot and i am very grateful.

Although i am extremly good with computers, there is still stuff i don't know. This Forum has made my pc's alot faster, better and far more safe.

And for that i can't thank you guys enough.

You guys are just great! :)

R2x1
21-08-2010, 07:49 PM
I like the helpful discussions on fridges, and learned discourse on the conveyancing of aircraft.

ubergeek85
21-08-2010, 08:00 PM
I like the helpful discussions on fridges, and learned discourse on the conveyancing of aircraft.

Don't forget, Lucas. It's a good brand.

Help me, they've got guns!

SP8's
21-08-2010, 08:01 PM
there's some mighty nice people on here who don't hesitate to help out when they can. All the techs are very knowledgeable ... far above my meagre understanding, but they take time to ask the right questions to help you out.

Chill, Wainui, Speedy .... the list goes on. Billy T puts a smile on my face most Monday mornings, and it's great to take the p!ss outta the fella who lives in downsideup land .... Smokin' Joe or some such name ... he recently installed new bathroom plumbing and was ever so helpful in placing a video link to show us how it works ... wonderful guy :devil

R2x1
22-08-2010, 01:22 AM

Lucas fridges are the reason that those odd people drink warm beer.

jareemon
22-08-2010, 09:47 AM

whos got guns

Cicero
22-08-2010, 10:25 AM
Lucas fridges are the reason that those odd people drink warm beer.

Which of course is as it should be!