PDA

View Full Version : HP is Rubbish

pctek
17-08-2010, 09:12 AM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/4029877/Hewlett-Packard-responds-to-reliability-issue

pcuser42
17-08-2010, 09:13 AM
Proving what we already know :D

icow
17-08-2010, 08:25 PM
:lol: some posted before (don't know who/can't remember) that they had a 25% complete failure (not usable) rate of all there laptops within the warrantee.

Alex B
17-08-2010, 09:05 PM
I doubt it, I would be a lot more busy if that was the case.

somebody
17-08-2010, 09:09 PM
You get what you pay for - HP's enterprise grade server hardware is solid though.

The Error Guy
17-08-2010, 09:10 PM
Hmmm, H-P. I always thought it was HP. Still my Dv5 is still going strong and several mates of mine have Dv6's (I'm Jealous)

MushHead
17-08-2010, 11:44 PM
My dv5 is still going strong after 2 years. Mind you, I've always been nervous about the amount of heat the thing generates when playing games...

jwil1
18-08-2010, 09:41 AM
I think we should all start calling HP H-P :p

Cato
18-08-2010, 10:36 AM
You get what you pay for - HP's enterprise grade server hardware is solid though.

You get what you pay for.

I've had HP-ish laptops for over a decade. Since the DIGITAL days (had it 5+ years, and my old man had it before that). I've had 3 laptops since, one Dell and two HP.

Dell gave me continuous problems, got an HP after that - had a issue with it starting, it was taken away, fixed and brought back to me in 3-4 days (if i remember correctly), I have since replaced that one (due to age rather than failure). I have had my current one for over two years. It has been up and running for a majority of that time that I have had it. That over 10,000 hours.

prefect
18-08-2010, 12:01 PM
Wouldnt the parts just be communist chinese stuff and fitted to other computers?
Blame the commies not HP.

wratterus
18-08-2010, 12:33 PM
See here for a US reliability study... HP do get lumped in with Compaq unfortunately.

http://www.electronista.com/articles/09/11/17/reliability.study.has.apple.4th.place/

angry
18-08-2010, 01:58 PM
See here for a US reliability study... HP do get lumped in with Compaq unfortunately.

http://www.electronista.com/articles/09/11/17/reliability.study.has.apple.4th.place/

why not, only badge engineering between them.

HP been going down hill since 2000.

newest ones are even worse..

R2x1
18-08-2010, 07:09 PM
They may be rubbish, but you do get loads of junk preloaded in that rubbish container.

sahilcc7
18-08-2010, 10:14 PM
My dv5 overheats and shutsdown! It goes at around 90 degrees normal .

Alex B
18-08-2010, 10:27 PM
Guessing its AMD?

xyz823
18-08-2010, 10:49 PM
My dv5 is still going strong after 2 years. Mind you, I've always been nervous about the amount of heat the thing generates when playing games...

Yea same, I usually take the battery out while gaming and brought a cooling pad which sits underneath it. Keeps most of the laptop cool although the air vent gets quite hot sometimes so I usually just sit it overtop of the fan for 30sec or so.

Dv6 btw.

gary67
19-08-2010, 07:58 AM
Hmm HP tastes nice on sausages and mash

J_Joyce
19-08-2010, 10:53 AM
On the importance of maintaining good airflow, a friend of mine owns an asus laptop that was purchased late 2007 and more recently had been running slow, locking up and having blue screen errors. When the machine locked up during an attempted re installation of windows I suggested it may be an overheating issue, so my friend pulled the machine apart and found a small chunk of dust that was quite effectively blocking the inlet vent. As expected the machine now runs a lot quieter without any of the above symptoms of instability.

SolMiester
19-08-2010, 12:29 PM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/4029877/Hewlett-Packard-responds-to-reliability-issue

Yawn.....You state HP is rubbish because of a couple of pocksy Netbooks?!....LOL.
What about the fact they make the best servers in the world, lead the world in printer innovation, along with all their other dedicated peripherals...Laptop docking stations, stands, desktops, storage systems, backup systems smartphones (PDAs), etc etc....

Really PCT, how about some realism, instead of reactionary derogatory comments that show you up as knowing jack ****?

Metla
19-08-2010, 01:11 PM
I see no issue with consumers basing their views on consumer orintated products, the average buyer would be well served by avoiding HP crap.

Servers might be another issue but that ain't the point of discussion

SolMiester
19-08-2010, 01:27 PM
I see no issue with consumers basing their views on consumer orintated products, the average buyer would be well served by avoiding HP crap.

Servers might be another issue but that ain't the point of discussion

The Title says HP is Rubbish Metla, which is BS! Is Toyota rubbish for a couple of crap cars, or Honda, Ford blah blah!

Metla
19-08-2010, 01:46 PM
If Toyota had the track record of HP no one with any sense would go near them.

prefect
19-08-2010, 02:23 PM
The Title says HP is Rubbish Metla, which is BS! Is Toyota rubbish for a couple of crap cars, or Honda, Ford blah blah!

Wash your mouth out with salt, cant use FORD and crap in the same sentence.
Maybe you meant General Motors.
Toyota had issues with gas pedal sticking at full throttle but no one cares a hoot about it now.

pctek
19-08-2010, 02:37 PM
Yawn.....You state HP is rubbish because of a couple of pocksy Netbooks?!....LOL.
What about the fact they make the best servers in the world, lead the world in printer innovation

Really PCT, reactionary derogatory comments that show you up as knowing jack ****?

I have never commented about their servers of which I have no experience as far as reliabilty goes. Nor have I ever said their printers were crap either.

I do agree with the desktop/laptop reports (Note these aren't my reports) - as the parts used in them are frequently rubbish and that's from observation - not just working for myself - but various places I worked for. Theirs, Acer and Packard bell would have been the top 3 for hardware failures.

No need to get all defensive - we know you look after servers and high end corporate stuff.

Alex B
19-08-2010, 05:21 PM
You need to put the word Consumer infront of desktop/laptop. Their corporate gear is very good, including desktop and laptops. One of the clients I do work for rolled 150 odd DC7800's a year or so ago. Not one has had an issue, not even a dead HDD yet.

Greven
19-08-2010, 10:01 PM
HP make some cheap ass servers too, but if you get the gorse out of your pockets you can get some really good stuff from them.