PDA

View Full Version : Skype,does it chew up your broadband.

as38camp
03-07-2010, 08:45 PM
I have just installed Skype and have made my first few video calls Skype to Skype.I have only a 1 Gb broadband plan,and although I understand Skype calls such as these are free,my data usage seems to have skyrocketed.Could someone with more knowledge than me,tell me if these type of calls do in fact use up your data.

Trev
03-07-2010, 09:12 PM
Yes it will on 1gb.
:)

goodiesguy
03-07-2010, 09:27 PM
if your gonna use skype. get at least 10gb

as38camp
03-07-2010, 09:28 PM
Thanks for confirming my fears Trev.So why does the Skype download site say that your voice and video calls are free?

Speedy Gonzales
03-07-2010, 09:33 PM
That doesnt mean its free through your ISP

GameJunkie
03-07-2010, 09:37 PM
Thanks for confirming my fears Trev.So why does the Skype download site say that your voice and video calls are free?

the software itself is 'free' but the when you use the program it uses your data allowance.

as38camp
03-07-2010, 09:59 PM
Thanks all.So it was too good to be true!!!

GameJunkie
03-07-2010, 10:04 PM
just read it properly and you'll be fine.

it's not a scam by any means...

lakewoodlady
03-07-2010, 10:32 PM
I read somewhere that skype uses approx 49 MBs per hour.

Apart from that, 1GB is not enough for anything much when you consider that MS updates can use that in a week.

LL :cool:

goodiesguy
03-07-2010, 10:51 PM
thats why you set ms updates to alert you but not download until your ready. havent installed any windows updates yet, i put xp on this like 2 months ago. i really need to download them

GameJunkie
04-07-2010, 07:34 AM
thats why you set ms updates to alert you but not download until your ready. havent installed any windows updates yet, i put xp on this like 2 months ago. i really need to download them

this is about skype not windows updates...

B.M.
04-07-2010, 09:43 AM
I use Skype for probably 1hr a day and get by on 2gig a month including other browsing.

I think the trick is not to have it start-up on boot and turn it off when you’ve finished using it.

I read somewhere that if you leave it running the whole time, your computer becomes a “node” or something and everybody uses your bandwidth. :confused:

One thing for sure, there is no such thing as a “Free Lunch”. ;)

Agent_24
04-07-2010, 10:39 AM
I don't use Skype at all

kountryken
04-07-2010, 11:08 AM
vodafone say 2GB = 12 hours skype

namboothiri
04-07-2010, 11:08 AM
Me and my family was enjoying Skype calling overseas not realising why my internet usage was skyrocketing and taking out up to $25 from my pokcet every month!
I thought of my kids were playing around with FaceBook, UTube etc too much. Then by chance, I realised from Telstra that the streaming of Skype eats up the allocated Plan. So eventually had to change it to accommodate this (free?) luxury!

Trev
04-07-2010, 12:49 PM
Will it is free. If you were making a toll call overseas you would be paying for the time talking as will as monthly telco bill, but with Skype you are only paying your monthly ISP account and nothing else.
:)

Chilling_Silence
04-07-2010, 05:57 PM
Skype automatically adjusts it's quality. If you have a lot of bandwidth, you'll get better quality calls. If you have a slow connection, you'll get lower quality and less bandwidth requirements. Because of the switching between different codecs and qualities, there are no "hard and fast" rules, but rather rough amounts you're likely to use.

In NZ, because of ADSL's limited upload speed, the odds of you becoming a supernode are very slim indeed. If you're on a symmetrical connection with decent upstream, that may be another matter entirely.

See here:
https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA151/How-much-bandwidth-does-Skype-use-while-I-m-in-a-call?frompage=search&q=how+much+bandwidth+for+a+call
Or:
https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10288/How-much-internet-bandwidth-do-I-need-with-Skype-for-SIP?frompage=search&q=how+much+bandwidth+for+a+call

Of course, you'll use more if you're going to be video calling.

Hopefully that'll give you a good indication of what kind of bandwidth you need. Generalizations such as "You should have 2GB, or 10GB, or 1GB won't be enough" are poor representations of how much of your data cap Skype will actually use. Ignore them ;)

Lets do a small amount of mathcraft:
You're on a call which is using (at most) 16KB/sec
From what I can gather that's for both sending and receiving so we don't have to double it (I only say that because g711 uncompressed is 64kbps before IP overheads for 1-way audio).
Then multiply that by 60 seconds, and then by 60 mins to give us an hours worth of data use, and we have: 57600KB
Divide by 1024 and we have 56.25MB, without factoring in other IP overheads.

So, if you didn't do anything else for the month, on your 1GB connection, you'd get around 17-18 hours worth of calling before going over your data cap.

It could be less though, depending on what Skype auto-selects as the best quality way to compress your audio, based on your connection.

Hope this helps

Chill.

mikebartnz
04-07-2010, 08:13 PM
I have just installed Skype and have made my first few video calls Skype to Skype.I have only a 1 Gb broadband plan,and although I understand Skype calls such as these are free,my data usage seems to have skyrocketed.Could someone with more knowledge than me,tell me if these type of calls do in fact use up your data.
Kill the video and just use voice.