PDA

View Full Version : Weird Spam

pctek
11-06-2010, 12:58 PM
Subject: Information Technician
Content: A rather good recipe for BBQ sauce.

Bizarre......

johcar
11-06-2010, 01:01 PM
Putting BBQ sauce on spam is really the best way of eating it....

R2x1
11-06-2010, 01:47 PM
Well, I dunno. Yesterday I was a bit distracted, so instead of taking the usual junkmail from the snailmail box and dropping it straight to the recycling pile in the laundry, I dropped it in the lounge. I was not overly impressed with a cockroach that emerged. (probably from a real estate listing ? ;) ) Even with real good sauce the stuff would not have been too easy to stomach.
Would Norton have zapped the bug?

johcar
11-06-2010, 02:13 PM
With Norton's record I doubt very much whether that bug would even have been recognised.

And if the postie had the beginnings of H1N1 (which no doubt will be the media darling again this year) and inadvertently left traces on the junk mail, Norton would have missed that virus too, despite it being well-known!

The problem is Norton only performs well (when comparing itself against earlier versions of itself) in laboratory conditions - so if you had taken the junk mail to your secret lair, you may have been safer.

The BBQ sauce might go well with the cockroach.... If you're hungry enough!

Renmoo
11-06-2010, 02:35 PM
Subject: Information Technician
Content: A rather good recipe for BBQ sauce.

Bizarre......
Was there a link in the e-mail?

pctek
11-06-2010, 03:35 PM
Was there a link in the e-mail?

No just a recipe. No attachments, no links, nothing suspicious.

bob_doe_nz
11-06-2010, 03:57 PM
What's the recipe? :rolleyes:

Morgenmuffel
11-06-2010, 04:10 PM
for god sake stop being a tease, and put the recipe here, god damit i'm hungry now

Renmoo
11-06-2010, 05:12 PM
No just a recipe. No attachments, no links, nothing suspicious.
Hmmmm, now THAT's weird.

A plausible intention of this sort of spam that I can think of is it induces curiosity, thus prompting the user to do a Google search for more information on some of the information contained in the e-mail. The first few links that appear in the result page may lead to phishing sites (or other sinister websites).

pctek
11-06-2010, 06:02 PM
Got another from the same domain. This one was a quote from an SF book.

Maybe it's to make you go look up the domain. I just deleted it, have to feed a couple into the spam filter I think....