PDA

View Full Version : Laptop vs Netbook

Nomad
10-06-2010, 05:16 PM
I may get one down the road. I cannot make my mind up.

About them:
I don't use fancy software; just MS Office, web, email, Skype etc. I don't play games or encode audio / audio. I don't need a optical drive.

I like the laptop because it has a higher resolution screen and I like a more compact laptop, so I am comparing it to a thin laptop, some of them are similar size to a Netbook with the added palm rest. I've had great reliability with all 4 second laptops - 1 Toshiba (the first) and 3 Thinkpads. Given the price of the more compact laptops I will be buying used again.

New Netbook vs a used Laptop?

Cheers.

johcar
10-06-2010, 05:24 PM
If you're working on the machine for any length of time, be aware that a typical netbook will require a lot of scrolling (due to the size of the screen) and your eyes will become more tired more quickly (due to the size of the screen). And the netbook keyboards are often cramped.

They're ideal for quick jobs and carrying around - and have great battery life in comparison to a "real" laptop. :)

Renmoo
10-06-2010, 07:45 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/06/onkyo-dx1007a5b-dualscreen-netbook-preview/

How about, somewhere in between? :D

somebody
10-06-2010, 08:08 PM
If portability is important to you, and you have a desktop or similar for regular use, then I'd suggest a netbook. They're great for doing things while out and about, without having to lug a heavy laptop bag around with you. If you intend to spend a lot of time in front of your netbook/laptop, then I'd go for the laptop for the reasons johcar has mentioned.

From my perspective, I would never buy a proper laptop again after owning two netbooks. Their portability alone outweighs any of the cons for what I use a netbookk/laptop for.

Nomad
10-06-2010, 08:54 PM
I am thinking something on these lines,

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:category.details?current-catalog-id=12F0696583E04D86B9B79B0FEC01C087&current-category-id=135A781CA29B4ECB9ADAD8E72CF6FD61&tabname=Gallery

My current model is a X series too and I have been using that as a desktop PC in the past.

utopian201
11-06-2010, 10:55 AM
Do you normally use your computer at a desk? Because you could always get an external monitor +usb keyboard and mouse and then just plug your netbook in and use it like a desktop. Then when you need to take it, just unplug the netbook...

Nomad
11-06-2010, 10:58 AM
I have a PC which is fine - 2.33 Quad 4GB with a 24" 1200-HD Dell Ultrasharp.

I don't really use a external screen and keyb - do with a external mouse thou. Planning to use it on the carpet at the lounge and outside etc.

In the past as a student, I have used a laptop every day for several years at my desk.

Chilling_Silence
11-06-2010, 11:16 AM
I've ended up with a 13" Macbook. I win because of the keyboard size, the long battery life (Longer than my NB200 Netbook), there's an optical drive for when I want it, and the screen is just absolutely gorgeous and you dont have that feeling of "Oh man I just wish I could fit a tiny bit more on my screen".

NB200 review: http://www.c2s.co.nz/blog/?p=142
Macbook: http://www.c2s.co.nz/blog/?p=217

R2x1
11-06-2010, 11:33 AM
If you're working on the machine for any length of time, be aware that a typical netbook will require a lot of scrolling (due to the size of the screen) and your eyes will become more tired more quickly (due to the size of the screen). And the netbook keyboards are often cramped.

They're ideal for quick jobs and carrying around - and have great battery life in comparison to a "real" laptop. :)
I agree almost 100%, the sticking point being on what is a "real" laptop, my sole reason for having one is portability, a lap griller with a battery life like a baby UPS is not going to cut the mustard. Laptops or netbooks - they are no substitute for the real thing with the crippled keyboard, touchpad, and general lack of versatility. (Admittedly, for some of the fruity persuasion, being seen about town with the latest fad is an essential crutch for the ego and practicality is no part of the equation.) It is more cost effective to buy two proper PCs with real keyboards, real mice and decent screens; leave one at work, one at home, and still dine out for a week on the money saved.
For students, carry around a regular PC and peripherals in a backpacking frame, and use the money saved to buy a car. The exercise involved could gather major dividends in gym fees saved.
For those who claim that you can use your phone to properly handle mobile data processing, Tui would like to make you famous.

Brooko
11-06-2010, 02:30 PM
Have had my Asus eee 1005pe netbook for two weeks now - couldn't be happier with it. It was purchased for my job and for travel. I had to make the choice between a 13-15in notebook/laptop or a netbook. In the end I got the 10in netbook + a 22in monitor.

Great for working after hours from home (with the monitor). Even better for travel. Battery life is easily 8 hours+. Perfect for long haul flights. And it's no chore to travel around with - light and doesn't take up too much room.

Has 7 starter installed - but I dual-boot with Debian Squeeze (linux) anyway - runs perfectly.

Keyboard (placement) is 92% of normal size - and typing is a breeze. Smaller screen takes some getting used to - but the portability is worth it for me. The built in camera is really good as well - have tested skype and it works well (both linux and windows). Screen although small is crystal clear.

I think it really depends on what you want it for. If you travel a lot (esp International) - I'd definitely consider the netbook. Battery life and size make it a very attractive option.

maccrazy
11-06-2010, 02:45 PM
Something along the lines of a MacBook Air (or PC equivalent) sounds like the optimal solution. Not quite as powerful as a regular laptop, yet much more powerful than a netbook and you have the benefit of a full size keyboard and screen. Obviously more expensive though.

Chilling_Silence
11-06-2010, 05:41 PM
I looked at the Air and decided I wanted the battery life over the weight. The 13" Macbook is still relatively light all things considered, and 7 hours battery vs 2 hours battery, plus I'm too cheap to fork out all that for an Air ;)

SurferJoe46
11-06-2010, 07:04 PM
I've put a few videos on my Asus Eee-PC for traveling and family vids too. I get hours longer battery than a full-sized laptop.

I also use it for recording and playback of the group's musical activities as we are playing a lot of MIDI stuff right now. It will last for a 6-hour gig very easily.

A wireless mouse is totally necessary as I hate skidpads.

Just make sure that the lower vents can inhale and not have carpet shag or human legs in the way, blocking them. They will get very hot if you do!

The WIFI on my Asus is very good and gets super signals and even here in the woods I can see over 10 possible connections!

My last experience with lappies was an IBM Stinkpad that is still holding doors open for a living. Gawd I hated that thing!

Nomad
11-06-2010, 08:23 PM
Something along the lines of a MacBook Air (or PC equivalent) sounds like the optimal solution. Not quite as powerful as a regular laptop, yet much more powerful than a netbook and you have the benefit of a full size keyboard and screen. Obviously more expensive though.

Yes, some of them could be $3,000. Hence I might get used. I am also biased towards Thinkpad, had 4 second hand laptops and 3 of were Thinkpads incl one here I been using since 2000 bought 1 year used.