PDA

View Full Version : Want faster broadband?

Sweep
06-06-2010, 01:32 PM
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10650104

Any truth to this lot?

johcar
06-06-2010, 01:36 PM
Bearing in mind the publication in which thse 'hints' appear, I suspect there is only a modest amount of resemblance to actual fact.

Comments such as "Move to a full speed/full speed plan" are about as in-depth as the Herald can go without confusing its average reader...

Battleneter2
06-06-2010, 05:27 PM
The article is technically correct, some wins bigger than others, but some of these tips are better described as improving stability of connection over faster speed.

pine-o-cleen
06-06-2010, 11:31 PM
How to get faster broadband.

1/ Pay more money.

That is all.

Nomad
06-06-2010, 11:32 PM
You can get a OC-# line into your place :D

Metla
06-06-2010, 11:32 PM
How to get faster broadband.

1/ Pay more money.

That is all.

Who to?

Pretty sure all I can get for more money is a larger cap.

Speedy Gonzales
06-06-2010, 11:33 PM
Or move to a country that gives you better / faster speeds, for less

johcar
06-06-2010, 11:37 PM
Or move to a country that gives you better / faster speeds, for less

Which leaves the choice wide open (if you have a passport and a willingness to leave for so minor a reason), since NZ is not well-served in this area.

Metla
06-06-2010, 11:39 PM
Which leaves the choice wide open (if you have a passport and a willingness to leave for so minor a reason), since NZ is not well-served in this area.

Indeed, it would be harder to find a country where it was slower and more expensive.

I'm thinking some hard to reach places in what was once known as the Soviet Union.

beeswax34
06-06-2010, 11:53 PM
Nah Metla. Former satellites like Estonia and and the Czech Republic have amazing speeds/costs.

Ty North Korea or Iran!

ubergeek85
07-06-2010, 01:26 AM
Reason seven really annoys me.

PC/laptop software
The latest version of Windows will handle broadband traffic a lot better than earlier versions.

99% of the time, the router does most of the work, then offers it over bog-standard ethernet. Even windows 95 can handle that just fine.

Blam
07-06-2010, 01:53 AM
Getting Cat5 wouldn't speed up your internet either either....unless your BB speeds are higher than 100Mbps speeds, and cabling is your bottleneck!

hueybot3000
07-06-2010, 04:15 AM
Putting a huge ad in the middle of it doesnt help either

pctek
07-06-2010, 08:56 AM
Replace jackpoints.
That's about the only sensible advice. Not that you'd see a sudden increase in speed, just less problems.

Terry Porritt
07-06-2010, 02:27 PM
Around 2 years ago or so I fitted a splitter and cat 5 cable to to an RJ45 wall socket in anticipation of getting ADSL2+.
Made no difference to signal to noise ratio or line attenuation.

Maybe if your phone wiring and sockets are dodgy then it may make a difference.

Edit: jack points installed on outside walls can be prone to corrosion, it's well worthwhile checking that they are ok and giving them a spray with Electrolube.

pine-o-cleen
07-06-2010, 02:37 PM
Who to?

Me.

Cato
07-06-2010, 03:28 PM
Who to?

You're in Palmy right? Inspire has a decent connection...
Better than the shitty ADSL crap from telecom.

CityLink if you are in auckland CBD. Surely Wellington would have something too...

Sweep
07-06-2010, 03:40 PM
You're in Palmy right? Inspire has a decent connection...
Better than the shitty ADSL crap from telecom.

CityLink if you are in auckland CBD. Surely Wellington would have something too...

Metla lives in Metlaville or Whanganui or Wanganui FYI.

Chilling_Silence
07-06-2010, 04:25 PM
1: Upgrade your modem
Yes, quite possibly the best thing that many people can do, to improve the stability of their connection, as well as (In some cases) sync speeds. Get rid of the cheap crap most ISP's give away

2: Filters
You've basically gotta have these anyways, so it's moot

3: Fewer phones
I'm not too sure on this, however AFAIK if your filters are doing their job, this shouldn't matter? I'm open to correction on this though

4: No extension cords
From wall point to ADSL modem, yes

5: Modem at master jackpoint
Makes sense, also don't plug into multi-adapters either ...

6: Splitter
Can help speed and reliability

7: PC/laptop software
BS. Windows 7 isn't "better able to handle broadband" any more-so than Win98 or XP. The other crap thats on your PC may affect it adversly, and there's a lot of optimizations that can be done, but mostly it won't affect your raw download speeds.

8: Broadband plan
Well of course you're going to want a max / max speed, I'm sure that's a given :-/

9: Replace jack points
No comment, I'm not experienced enough in that area to be honest

10: Home wiring
Generally speaking it's a bit excessive, and in terms of "bang for buck" it's not going to do much for the masses, however in rare cases where your house wiring is crap, then yeah, go ahead :)

Other things they should have in there:
11: ISP
Some ISP's perform better than others. Take WxC for example, or the Big Time plan. Neither are high performers

12: Location
If you're looking at moving, check up on http://telecomwholesale.co.nz/maps and see if you're going to be near a Cabinet. It can quite possibly make the most difference out of any of the aforementioned

Good to see this lady "Helen" has been doing some decent write-ups on the speed of Broadband in NZ:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10649852

Cato
07-06-2010, 04:58 PM
Metla lives in Metlaville or Whanganui or Wanganui FYI.

I am not sure if inspire offers it services there but it might...