PDA

View Full Version : FIFA World Cup thread

roddy_boy
04-06-2010, 11:23 PM
Bugger the All Whites v Socceroos thread, we need a thread dedicated to the tournament and the build up.

All Whites v Slovenia tomorrow morning 7am. Ricki Herbert has announced the same starting line up as the one against Serbia. It's a team that has changed a lot since the Socceroos game, which was the same starting team that beat Bahrain.

He's using the new back line of Reid and Smith alongside Nelsen, instead of Siggy and Vicelich. Jeremy Christie is in the midfield with Elliot, Bertos, and Lochhead. Christie has come in as cover for Tim Brown. Brown's shoulder injury is coming along well, and hopefully he will be fit in time for the WC. He will be announcing whether or not he's ready on 10 June, the day after our final friendly against Chile.

Our starting forward line up is again Smeltz and Fallon, and Chris Wood is starting again. Chris Killen is out of this game with a tight hamstring, after missing the game against Serbia to get married.

Expect a lot of substitutions in this game. I expect he will give Siggy and Vicelich a run on at half time, and fiddle around with the midfield and strikers as well during the game. Presumably they will agree to friendly rules allowing 7 subs instead of the 3 allowed in WC games.

Score prediction: 2 - 0 NZ, goals from Smeltzy and Christie. Although the game will probably change dramatically after the first hour as both teams will be more concerned with keeping players injury free than the result of the game.

PS WE MADE IT TO THE WORLD CUP!!!

Twelvevolts
04-06-2010, 11:51 PM
Finally we play a country with a smaller population.

roddy_boy
05-06-2010, 12:28 AM
Haha wow that's an interesting and fantastic observation.

Twelvevolts
05-06-2010, 12:38 AM
Still ranked miles above us even if they are smaller.

roddy_boy
05-06-2010, 10:34 AM
Well, ****.

roddy_boy
05-06-2010, 10:48 AM
The boys didn't play too poorly. We were up against a quality opposition and I think we did well not to give them too many scoring opportunities. The first goal we conceded was from free kick given for a dubious foul. There wasn't too much in it. The other free kick was a shocker, I still can't believe someone would dive like that in a friendly.

Paston didn't have a very good game either. I was surprised Ricki didn't give Moss a go. He didn't make very many subs at all, which was surprising as he hinted that he would be making a few in an interview before the game.

Our goal was a classic NZ goal, long ball into the box, headed on then scored. Very similar to the one against Serbia, except this one was from a set piece. We also created a few excellent opportunities. I think if Killen had played more may have been converted.

There are also the problems of our lack of ability to retain possession and the predictability of our game. Our strategy seems almost solely to pass it around amongst the backs until we can get a ball out wide to Lochhead or Bertos, or one into the midfield to Elliot, and these players then put a cross in to the heads of our strikers. I suppose it's not a bad strategy, but we do tend to lose possession a lot.

I think our boys would have learnt a lot from this game. We need to work more on our pressure when the opposing team is advancing through the midfield. Considering we are playing a 3-4-3 formation, a lot of pressure is on the midfielders to keep that area locked down. Bertos does well when forced to play in a defensive role though at least.

Our next scheduled match is against Chile on Wednesday night at 11:30, although the commentators referred to this match as a training exercise or something, so I'm not really sure what it is going to be.

gary67
05-06-2010, 12:47 PM
Training for Chile the south American teams will probably walk all over us

roddy_boy
05-06-2010, 07:40 PM
It's going to be 3 30 minute thirds for some reason o_O

hueybot3000
05-06-2010, 11:42 PM
We're going to lose, and most likely impressively. They have my support but they also have no chance because they're playing races built for soccer. We just aren't man enough.

prefect
06-06-2010, 12:29 AM
We just arent a soccer playing nation just like the Germans dont play cricket.
How many englanders are in our team anyway?

roddy_boy
06-06-2010, 02:55 AM
Well we qualified for the World Cup. I think this means we are a football playing nation.

paulw
06-06-2010, 09:19 AM
Well we qualified for the World Cup. I think this means we are a football playing nation.

We were in 1982 but after we were knocked out after the first round we weren't any longer and this will happen this time..

prefect
06-06-2010, 10:25 AM
We qualified in the Oceania region against great teams like Nauru and Tuvalu.
Having said that good luck to them as long as they are made up from people born here and not imports wearing NZ symbols.
My kids both play soccer one has been going to soccer academy for several years and spends 90% of his outdoor time practicing with a soccer ball even in the summer.
Being half Chinese they are a bit small to play rugby without getting smashed over by bigger ethnic players so soccer is fine by me.

gary67
06-06-2010, 10:36 AM
Is that why the all blacks are so bad too because most of them weren't born here? One of the all Whites Jeremy Brockie is from Nelson born here, I don't know how many English players are in the team but my guess would be about a quarter. Lets hope your boy ends up in the Premier league then you can retire on his wages

Cicero
06-06-2010, 12:03 PM
We qualified in the Oceania region against great teams like Nauru and Tuvalu.
Having said that good luck to them as long as they are made up from people born here and not imports wearing NZ symbols.
My kids both play soccer one has been going to soccer academy for several years and spends 90% of his outdoor time practicing with a soccer ball even in the summer.
Being half Chinese they are a bit small to play rugby without getting smashed over by bigger ethnic players so soccer is fine by me.

Why on earth didn't you marry a Amazon?

prefect
06-06-2010, 12:30 PM
lol because they dont really exist.

Cicero
06-06-2010, 12:36 PM
Oh yea.........

The Amazons were said to be the first humans to tame and ride horses. They were fearless and expert warriors, on horseback or as foot soldiers, and the Greeks fiercest enemies. They dedicated themselves to endless hours of training in the art of combat, their favored weapons, bows, spears and doubled-sided battle axes.

Right up your alley I would have thought.

gary67
06-06-2010, 01:30 PM
They must have been sea horses to be in the Amazon

Twelvevolts
06-06-2010, 01:44 PM
We just arent a soccer playing nation

Oh really

The top five sports played in clubs by boys aged 5 to 17 are:

17% Soccer
16% Rugby union
14% Swimming
8% Cricket
8% Hockey

prefect
06-06-2010, 02:38 PM
17% would make us a non soccer playing nation the way I interpret the figures.
Whats the stats for Brazil 99%?

roddy_boy
06-06-2010, 04:00 PM
Poor logic there prefect. If 17% makes us a non football playing nation then 16% must make us pretty anti rugby as a country.

Dally
06-06-2010, 10:00 PM
Of the 23 players in the NZ world cup squad 19 are New Zealand born and 3 of the other 4 have represented New Zealand in age group internationals U17 and U20. Prefect take note

gary67
06-06-2010, 10:08 PM
If 17% & 16% don't make us Rugby and Football playing then we must be an alcoholic pig hunting country, since they are the pastimes enjoyed by the majority

Cicero
06-06-2010, 11:01 PM
Poor logic there prefect. If 17% makes us a non football playing nation then 16% must make us pretty anti rugby as a country.

You will wait a while b4 you get any sort of logic from that quarter.

roddy_boy
11-06-2010, 12:48 AM
Tim Brown has travelled to South Africa today, after being declared fit by his doctor last night. This is massive news for the team, Brown is a strong player in midfield and helps retain possession in this area which is where we really lack. Unlikely he will play in the opener, but hopefully will be fit for the Italy game.

Opening match featuring hosts South Africa vs Mexico is tomorrow night! Well Saturday morning really, 1:15am.

GameJunkie
11-06-2010, 10:03 AM
i think the game starts at 2am, could be mistaken though

Breezzee
11-06-2010, 02:49 PM
Firefox Cup

Firefox Cup
Install Personas to support your team and compete for the Firefox Cup

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefoxcup/

I don't know how often they update the list because it's been stuck on 8 for sometime and I know a few people have installed it today.

roddy_boy
11-06-2010, 11:30 PM
i think the game starts at 2am, could be mistaken though

Right you are! Opening ceremony starts at midnight our time, both the ceremony and first game are being broadcast live on TV1.

globe
12-06-2010, 09:14 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2010/article-1284739/WORLD-CUP-PODCAST-Join-Chappers-Sportsmails-brilliant-finals.html

Check out the June 9th podcast for a funny debate on whether New Zealand should be at the world cup (it starts around 30mins in), Very funny.

For those who don't know Mark Chapman is a radio presenter in the uk, Graham Poll was Englands no 1 referee until he reitred a couple of years ago (he has the sense of humour of a carry on script writer hence all the double entonders (sp?), and the other two who names escape me, one presents match of the day 2 and the other works for the pc game champ manager).

So give it a listen and see if you agree with them...

Come on England !!!!

pine-o-cleen
12-06-2010, 08:52 PM
TVNZ World Cup Schedule. (http://tvnz.co.nz/2010-fifa-world-cup-news/world-cup-tv-schedule-group-matches-3469491)

roddy_boy
14-06-2010, 11:46 PM
Well what a weekend of opening results. The opening match between South Africa and Mexico produced an exciting and deserved 1 - 1 draw. I hope SA does well in their next couple of matches, as it's always good for the tournament if the host nation advances.

The first real shock of the tournament came on Saturday night/Sunday morning when Korea Republic (ranked 47th on the FIFA rankings) beat Greece (13) 2 - 0. The highly anticipated match later on Sunday morning between USA and England didn't fail to disappoint. A classy strike from Stephen Gerrard early on gave England a deserved lead. An absolutely shocking goalkeeping blunder by Robert Green equalised the match not long before half time, and after a scoreless second half English fans were disappointed with the drawn result.

Germany thrashing Australia 4 - 0 this morning was the highlight of the weekend for me, and Serbia losing 1 - 0 to Ghana after a penalty for a handball in the 85th minute was the worst result.

The All Blacks game wasn't too bad either. Lost it a bit in the 2nd half, but 2 tries to Conrad Smith keeps me happy.

prefect
15-06-2010, 12:25 AM
Those horns are a pain in the ass Roddy

GameJunkie
15-06-2010, 12:26 AM
agree with your comments there roddy_boy.

israel dagg was impressive at fullback, cory jane consistent as ever.

i wonder if the england keeper will keep his place for their next game?.

can't wait for our opening game tomorrow night, im hoping a win but a draw would be a great result.

thoughts???

Twelvevolts
16-06-2010, 02:29 AM
What a game - we deserved the draw and their goal was off-side.

GameJunkie
16-06-2010, 02:42 AM
GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and yes their goal was offside by a country mile

roddy_boy
16-06-2010, 03:31 AM
Wow.

roddy_boy
16-06-2010, 03:49 AM
Wow.

prefect - yes you're right of course, no one likes the vuvuzelas.

GameJunkie - I had intended to provide my thoughts before the game, but wanted to see the squad first and haven't had time since it was announced. Herbert playing Vicilech as a holding midfielder was an interesting move. I don't know much about Vicilech, so didn't know he'd played club football as a midfielder. I do wish Herbert had played him in this position in either the Serbia or Slovenia warm ups before the WC opener though.

****ing fantastic game from the boys though. They came out all guns blazing. First 15 mins we must have had 80% of the possession. We produced the first shot on goal, and quite a few opportunities. Was disappointed that we hadn't scored by half time, but also I was equally ecstatic that we had kept our opening opponents to nil. Paston had a bit of a shocker again, missing a punch and royally ****ing up a simple kick.

We played a bit piss poor in the second half. I feel like we had lost a bit of steam and were content defending and holding the draw. Our boys aren't comfortable doing this, we play a very hardworking, attacking style of football. The goal (scored from an offside position of course, no one ever scores an honest goal against us) really spurred us back into action. We were a bit lacklustre for awhile still, but near the end our desperation was really creating some opportunities.

Winston Reid scoring our opening goal was unexpected. The goal itself was inevitable. What a cross from Smeltz. Smeltz himself missed a sitter a few minutes earlier so I found it fitting he provided the opportunity. Some brilliant build up play from Nelsen and Bertos, with Lochhead and even Christie contributing to the attack.

Overall, an excellent opening game. First point ever by NZ in the world cup finals. Reid will go down as a legend in the history books. I think we deserved the draw, even though we were dominated in the second half in possession. Once we were a goal down we were always going to play aggressive football, and imo Slovakia dug their own grave by playing quite defensively near the end, happy to concede possession to gain territory.

I am so ****ing happy right now.

Go boys go.

sarel
16-06-2010, 08:22 AM
Best thing that ever happened to soccer was when somebody got as bored on the field as I do off it, picked up the ball and started running with it.

LOL:D

sarel

Greg
16-06-2010, 09:34 AM
Best thing that ever happened to soccer was when somebody got as bored on the field as I do off it, picked up the ball and started running with it.

LOL

I have to agree. I don't dislike the game, but I sure don't enjoy it and never go out of my way to watch a match. But of course I felt it may be worth wasting a couple hours to see the first All White's match of the tournament.

Up until the last couple of minutes I felt *yawn* but have to admit being pretty thrilled that our guys got that last minute match saver.

Cicero
16-06-2010, 10:06 AM

sarel

And now we have to put up with the result of that,if only he had kept running.

Metla
16-06-2010, 10:45 AM
I didn't watch the game, I watched the page displaying the score "live" on the herald site.

After 45 minutes a zero changed into a 1, after another 45 minutes the other zero changed into a 1.

Pretty exciting stuff.

gary67
16-06-2010, 10:53 AM
And now we have to put up with the result of that,if only he had kept running.

in front of a bus

Metla
16-06-2010, 10:57 AM
This is a great photo.

kahawai chaser
16-06-2010, 11:02 AM
I was a bit excited watching that header from seemingly "nowhere" since the Slovakians dominated the last 30 or so minutes with speed and skill/tactics. Not really a soccer fan but most of my student peers were soccer players (in Pakuranga/Howick years back).

Been a long time since I watched NZ soccer, including the live Fiji game in 81/82 (with the streaker) where NZ scored multiple goals.

Though good to see Ricki Herbet's beaming face after that header...

Sweep
16-06-2010, 11:07 AM
I didn't watch the game, I watched the page displaying the score "live" on the herald site.

After 45 minutes a zero changed into a 1, after another 45 minutes the other zero changed into a 1.

Pretty exciting stuff.

Last time I played Soccer was at Spriggens Park in Wangvegas. Is that still there or did they build houses on it?

Marnie
16-06-2010, 11:19 AM
Oh really

The top five sports played in clubs by boys aged 5 to 17 are:

17% Soccer
16% Rugby union
14% Swimming
8% Cricket
8% Hockey

I know a lot of youngsters start off playing soccer rather than rugby. Some will switch to rugby later, as they grow. My son was one of them, even though his Dad was a rep in provincial junior rugby. Some of those boys, the same age as my son, were far taller and twice as wide, even at seven. It was important that he got enjoyment out of sport.
I don't often watch a lot of rugby on tv, but I do like to watch first class soccer.

Go the All Whites!!:banana

Gobe1
16-06-2010, 11:45 AM
Well done to Reid on scoring that, legend

EDIT: poor poor ozzies boo hoo

Digby
16-06-2010, 01:43 PM
Yes it makes you think of Denmark !

And good to see a part Maori boy playing soccer.

There is more to sport than rugby and league.

NZ is doing quite well in our group so far with all 4 teams on 1 point.

Cicero
16-06-2010, 06:45 PM
And good to see a part Maori boy playing soccer.

As far as I am aware,they have 2 legs ?.

This going on about NZ's win,is to me on par with that Maori chap that won a major golf tourny in the USA,a one off,mark my words.

roddy_boy
16-06-2010, 10:42 PM
I see the Sydney Morning Herald had a headline this morning of "Australasia 1, Slovakia 1".

Lol.

gary67
17-06-2010, 07:56 AM
Switzerland beat Spain over night first upset of the tournament

Cicero
17-06-2010, 09:38 AM

Good to see you have a TV too Ga.!

Strommer
17-06-2010, 09:42 AM

I'm predicting a Swiss v NZ Final. :D This tournament is getting bizarre.

Cicero
17-06-2010, 09:50 AM
I'm predicting a Swiss v NZ Final. :D This tournament is getting bizarre.

And I am predicting,that elephants (Thai)will take flight.:clap

roddy_boy
17-06-2010, 01:49 PM

Wow what a game. Just watched the replay. Spain was dominant for most of the game, they deserved at least a draw here. But that's football, it can go any way.

Definitely the major upset of the tournament so far.

GameJunkie
17-06-2010, 01:51 PM
All Whites 1-nil over Italy :D

Digby
17-06-2010, 01:56 PM
I see the Sydney Morning Herald had a headline this morning of "Australasia 1, Slovakia 1".

Lol.

Unbeliavable !

That's nearly as bad as the underarm incident.

We didn't loose to Germany 4-0 !

But still we have Italy coming up, if we can hold them to a few goals defeat that would be good, then in a win again Paraguay ! ?

Cicero
17-06-2010, 06:27 PM
Unbeliavable !

That's nearly as bad as the underarm incident.

But still we have Italy coming up, if we can hold them to a few goals defeat that would be good, then in a win again Paraguay ! ?

And then we wake up.

prefect
17-06-2010, 06:46 PM
I am guessing a score of about 7 nil to Italy although I take heart in the fact we thrashed them in WW2.

WalOne
17-06-2010, 07:45 PM
Unbeliavable !

loose = lose

(Just saving Roddy a job) :devil

gary67
17-06-2010, 08:59 PM
I didn't and will not be watching any of the games nor will I be watching next years debacle either, however I might follow the results

roddy_boy
21-06-2010, 12:15 AM
Anyone watching the Paraguay vs Slovakia game? Starting soon. Then us vs Italy at 2am! Can't wait.

GameJunkie
21-06-2010, 12:35 AM
Anyone watching the Paraguay vs Slovakia game? Starting soon. Then us vs Italy at 2am! Can't wait.

gonna follow the slovakia game on the net then watch the all whites at 2

GameJunkie
21-06-2010, 01:02 AM
30 minutes gone, paraguay 1-nil

plod
21-06-2010, 02:55 AM
Just got the boys up for the game

Twelvevolts
21-06-2010, 03:50 AM
1 - 1 HT - we're still in it.

plod
21-06-2010, 04:36 AM
And still in it.

Twelvevolts
21-06-2010, 04:54 AM
FT 1 - 1 bl**dy marvelous!!!

prefect
21-06-2010, 04:58 AM
amazing

Twelvevolts
21-06-2010, 05:04 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2010/article-1284739/WORLD-CUP-PODCAST-Join-Chappers-Sportsmails-brilliant-finals.html

Check out the June 9th podcast for a funny debate on whether New Zealand should be at the world cup (it starts around 30mins in), Very funny.

For those who don't know Mark Chapman is a radio presenter in the uk, Graham Poll was Englands no 1 referee until he reitred a couple of years ago (he has the sense of humour of a carry on script writer hence all the double entonders (sp?), and the other two who names escape me, one presents match of the day 2 and the other works for the pc game champ manager).

So give it a listen and see if you agree with them...

Come on England !!!!

Hope the doubters now eat their words, we clearly deserve to be in South Africa.

Digby
21-06-2010, 10:52 AM
1 all against Italy

Great news.

I really liked John Adshead's line - 90 minutes gone and we threw a banker on.

Referring to some of our semi professional guys, versus Italy's 2,500 professionals on 100K a week.

Gee but Paraguay are going to be hard, they did really well in South America this year.

GameJunkie
21-06-2010, 12:35 PM
i read that the italian starting eleven was worth $313 million on the transfer market whilst ours was a measly $20 million:stare:

but what a great performance by the team :banana:thumbs:

prefect
21-06-2010, 12:54 PM
Yes a draw a great performance

kahawai chaser
21-06-2010, 01:43 PM
I noticed stern faced Italian fans in the crowd...and perhaps a lot of credit to the NZ Goalie...

Cicero
21-06-2010, 01:49 PM
i read that the italian starting eleven was worth $313 million on the transfer market whilst ours was a measly $20 million:stare:

but what a great performance by the team :banana:thumbs:

How much would you put on NZ in a re match?

GameJunkie
21-06-2010, 01:58 PM
$20

Sweep
21-06-2010, 02:41 PM
$1 for $6.50 for a draw at the TAB last night.

Cicero
21-06-2010, 02:44 PM
$20

I will give you 2 to 1 on that!

mikebartnz
21-06-2010, 09:20 PM
I am guessing a score of about 7 nil to Italy although I take heart in the fact we thrashed them in WW2.
You would be a very broke man now if you had put all your money on it.
A good result. 1/1 Now all we have to do is beat Paraguay.

mikebartnz
21-06-2010, 09:25 PM
I noticed stern faced Italian fans in the crowd...and perhaps a lot of credit to the NZ Goalie...
and to Rikki Herbert.

roddy_boy
22-06-2010, 12:04 AM
What a ****ing game. I'm still amping from it.

Sweep
22-06-2010, 12:11 AM
A good goal by NZ first up and brilliant defence.

GameJunkie
22-06-2010, 12:28 AM
can't wait for the game friday morning!!!

gonna be a cracker.

on another note, in the two games we've played so far(i say so far) we have scored twice as many goals as England and Australia. :banana

what does that tell you about them who have the expectation and can't handle it , and us who dont have the expectation of progressing , so we can say we're better than them.:clap

our world ranking can only improve aswell:2cents:

Sweep
22-06-2010, 12:51 AM
We are ranked 78 and the last 4-5 countries are ranked 202 equal currently.

Until I researched I was not aware that Iceland were on the list.

lordnoddy
22-06-2010, 10:09 AM
Portugal 7 - 0 North Korea

:clap:banana

roddy_boy
23-06-2010, 04:07 AM
First of the round 3 games are under way. It's halftime and there are still a few possibilities. The French look down and out, down 2 - 0 against South Africa and down to 10 men. Uraguay are 1 - 0 up against Mexico.

If SA score a few more goals, and Uraguay beat Mexico 1 or 2 to nil, SA will advance!

gary67
23-06-2010, 07:51 AM
Nah SA and France are out maybe they shouldn't have gone on strike but that's the French give them a wet lettuce leaf instead of a dry one and the whole country comes out on strike

Digby
23-06-2010, 09:07 AM
I don't understand how SA are out, if they beat France.

The French deserve to be out, especially with that handball against Ireland, that they did not even apologise for.

Can't wait till Friday. Paraguay are very good, but we have never beaten a SA side for the last few years, so maybe its our chance.

roddy_boy
24-06-2010, 12:31 PM
Australia did not advance! :D

Tonight's the night people.

GameJunkie
25-06-2010, 03:56 AM
nil all at half time, i'd say we've had the better half , just.

a few chances here and there, and free kicks going our way for once.

1 nil to Slovakia in the other game going on at the same time, looks as though italy won't progress.

Twelvevolts
25-06-2010, 03:59 AM
At the moment an Italy goal would have them progress. We need a goal still to go through.

Sweep
25-06-2010, 04:02 AM
2nd half just starting. One or two yellow cards handed out already. And I can still do without the background noise.

bob_doe_nz
25-06-2010, 04:38 AM
And I can still do without the background noise.

BBBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

bob_doe_nz
25-06-2010, 04:54 AM
Bugger. Draw

Sweep
25-06-2010, 04:54 AM
So we got a draw.

Cato
25-06-2010, 05:03 AM
Everything said and done... Still undefeated.

Awesome game for Italy too. If there was no time wasting at the end they would have pulled through. That was the epic tonight.

wratterus
25-06-2010, 05:08 AM
Well well....

Bed time, work in 4 hours! :p

Erayd
25-06-2010, 05:24 AM
Definitely one to celebrate. Pity we didn't go through, but even so our guys did impressively - well done :thumbs:.

zqwerty
25-06-2010, 09:15 AM
Farcical

Digby
25-06-2010, 09:49 AM
The boys did well to hold Paraguay to a draw ! (boring game, watched the whole thing)

But its a shame we did not beat them, or go through.

Good to see Italy knocked out, perhaps they will stop acting and start playing now.

The South American teams are doing very well, and the African teams are not (only Ghana going through)

The person that invented the Vuvuzula should be shot !

mikebartnz
25-06-2010, 12:21 PM
The person that invented the Vuvuzula should be shot !
You forgot "hung, drawn and slaughtered." It has totally put me off watching the games. Sounds like a swarm of angry bumble bees.

Well done to the All Whites.

ruup
27-06-2010, 02:08 PM
One last game for Rory...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/fifa-world-cup/all-whites/3859171/Fallon-brings-joy-to-township

GameJunkie
28-06-2010, 03:52 AM
how was that goal by england not given????

at least 2 foot over the line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Twelvevolts
28-06-2010, 05:14 AM
The linesmen must have been looking somewhere else - might have changed the game but Germany unstoppable in the end. David James was suspect.

SolMiester
28-06-2010, 10:20 AM
Good job Germany, wahoo, England out again...LMAO!

prefect
28-06-2010, 10:33 AM
The Germans getting their own back at the englanders for getting thrashed in 2 world wars.

Cicero
28-06-2010, 10:36 AM
Good job Germany, wahoo, England out again...LMAO!

I wonder if you would have been so keen to hooray the hun,if you had been in Gemany in 43?

legod
28-06-2010, 06:30 PM
For anyone relying on the TVNZ coverage, does anyone else think Martin Devlin is an irritating little so and so? He's so lacking in any sort of technical knowledge of the game and his presenting skills are annoying.

On top of that, we have to contend with the dire "official FIFA" commentary during the games. Better than the infamous "Tommy Smythe with a Y" from ESPN, but not alot better. They only state the obvious and there's little in the way of analytical insight.

davidmmac
28-06-2010, 06:54 PM
For anyone relying on the TVNZ coverage, does anyone else think Martin Devlin is an irritating little so and so? He's so lacking in any sort of technical knowledge of the game and his presenting skills are annoying.

On top of that, we have to contend with the dire "official FIFA" commentary during the games. Better than the infamous "Tommy Smythe with a Y" from ESPN, but not alot better. They only state the obvious and there's little in the way of analytical insight.

Can't agree more about the Fifa commentary, as well as Tommy Smyth, both as bad as each other.

Haven't watched the TVNZ coverage much, but I can say that the Sky Sports 90min highlights are rubbish. They've put little effort into them and they continuously cut the frame in the middle of a line of commentary.

On the bright side, the HD is awesome! :clap

prefect
28-06-2010, 07:39 PM

I think Martin Devlin is funny, breath of fresh air. NZ is rugby country who cares about his technical skills with a second rate ball game. Humour is the way to go.
And christ isn't it good a person talking about soccer without a grating englander accent?

legod
28-06-2010, 07:59 PM
I think Martin Devlin is funny, breath of fresh air. NZ is rugby country who cares about his technical skills with a second rate ball game. Humour is the way to go.
And christ isn't it good a person talking about soccer without a grating englander accent?

Sounds like a bit of xenophobia there.
And more people in NZ play 'soccer' than rugby.

mikebartnz
28-06-2010, 08:41 PM
Sounds like a bit of xenophobia there.
And more people in NZ play 'soccer' than rugby.
and that must make it a first rate ball game.

davidmmac
28-06-2010, 08:42 PM

IMO the poms are the only ones who can commentate on a football match properly, but that doesn't mean I think all of them are good though.

gary67
28-06-2010, 09:07 PM
It would be nice to not have to have whinging, whining ex South Islanders complaining about everything just because they don't like the rest of the world

mikebartnz
28-06-2010, 09:17 PM
It would be nice to not have to have whinging, whining ex South Islanders complaining about everything just because they don't like the rest of the world
Can't help it but who is doing the whinging here.:D

Parry
28-06-2010, 11:22 PM
You forgot "hung, drawn and slaughtered." It has totally put me off watching the games. Sounds like a swarm of angry bumble bees.

Well done to the All Whites.
Listening to the Vuvu's on TV is at least better than having to put up with them at the games. There's something wrong with having to wear earplugs to a sporting event and took some of the enjoyment out of it for me. Unfortunately they are everywhere - pubs, malls on the way to the games, at the games and afterwards in the streets. I even heard them inside the Joburg airport when I came home on the weekend. I actually think they took the home advantage away from the African nations as its a constant noise so the cheering for the home team was effectively removed.

On the plus side all the fans from different countries really got on well together and you often saw opposing fans get pictures with their opposition. South Africans supported other African nations as well which was nice to see. Everything is football over there - even TV soap operas and adverts have football written into the scripts.

I only hope NZ embraces the Rugby WC next year in the same way. But please, no Vuvu's. :-)

cheers,
Graham

gary67
29-06-2010, 08:00 AM
Vuvu's would be better than Prefects bashing everything that doesn't subscribe to his warped view of the world

Cicero
29-06-2010, 08:02 AM
Listening to the Vuvu's on TV is at least better than having to put up with them at the games. There's something wrong with having to wear earplugs to a sporting event and took some of the enjoyment out of it for me. Unfortunately they are everywhere - pubs, malls on the way to the games, at the games and afterwards in the streets. I even heard them inside the Joburg airport when I came home on the weekend. I actually think they took the home advantage away from the African nations as its a constant noise so the cheering for the home team was effectively removed.

On the plus side all the fans from different countries really got on well together and you often saw opposing fans get pictures with their opposition. South Africans supported other African nations as well which was nice to see. Everything is football over there - even TV soap operas and adverts have football written into the scripts.

I only hope NZ embraces the Rugby WC next year in the same way. But please, no Vuvu's. :-)

cheers,
Graham

At least the Vuvu's look nicely designed to fit where they belong!

zqwerty
29-06-2010, 09:08 AM
thought better of comment

Cicero
29-06-2010, 10:21 AM
thought better of comment

Very wise Zqwert,best not to be too vituperative.

We want good reporting without too much effervescence.

mikebartnz
29-06-2010, 12:38 PM
At least the Vuvu's look nicely designed to fit where they belong!
:lol::lol::lol:

Cicero
29-06-2010, 12:57 PM
:lol::lol::lol:

I think you are the only one to get that Mike!

WalOne
29-06-2010, 02:18 PM
Supporteur Argentin !!!

Adds a bit of life to my desktop ;)

Edit: Toss you for the signature, Cicero :devil

[Moderator's edit: Images removed. Please do not post similar photos again. This is a 'family forum' and it is against the rules - Jen]