PDA

View Full Version : Extended Warranties.

Trev
02-06-2010, 09:49 AM
Watch Fairgo TV1 7-30 tonight.
:)

pablo d
02-06-2010, 11:21 AM
Ok, only if their expose on the corporate-driven conspiracy which is extended warranties blows my freaking mind, man! Wake up, sheeple!!

They are, after all, at the apex of our impeccable tower of NZ journalism.

Sweep
02-06-2010, 08:00 PM
Why would I bother to take the time and effort to push a button on my remote Trev?
Obligatory smile here just for you.

:-)

Trev
02-06-2010, 09:45 PM
Being pedantic again Sweep. I couldn't care whether you watched it or not. This post was just a heads up for those who did.

robbyp
03-06-2010, 12:02 AM
They are fine for businesses when businesses buy a product, but they should be illegal to sell for consumers, as they don't offer any more protection.

gary67
03-06-2010, 06:40 AM
Watched it and learnt a couple of things. For instance F&P fridges might only have a 2 year warranty but the motors have 5 years

paulw
03-06-2010, 09:25 AM
The only thing I have had extended warranties on are laptops. Every one of them my wife has had over the past 15 years has had a major problem with in the 5 years of the warranty life.. Her current one a Toshiba has a 3 year one but touch wood it's been OK @ 1.5 years and counting..

Nomad
03-06-2010, 10:20 AM
Does NZ extended warranties get done at the manufacturer or 3rd party?

Mum bought a F&P laundry machine with an extended warranty, well mum and dad thought electronic stuff breaks down more as more complex. We had for 15+ years not broken down yet. We've had TVs and got 10yrs out of them and still going .... Computers I've used them for least 4 years, some were still working up to 6 or 10yrs.

Me thinks, when it breaks, it's so old you could get another new one or get a used one.

user
03-06-2010, 11:16 AM
I have never bought an extended warranty as the CGA should cover failures. I got the chance to test this last month when my laptop developed a permanent vertical line on the screen. It was 2 months out of warranty. I rang DSE about this and after the manager initially said there was nothing they could do since it was out of warranty, I mentioned the CGA and argued a laptop should last longer than 14 months. He eventually agreed with me although I felt I should not have needed to argue the point with him - he should not have tried to argue that it was not covered by the CGA.

When I took it to the shop, I had to stop him resetting the laptop back to factory default settings and losing my installed programs. He had little idea about how to diagnose the fault, even though I told him it occurred under the BIOS screen and was not related to the operating software. He rang the Toshiba branch and argued on my behalf about the laptop being covered under CGA, a complete turnaround of his initial position.

The guts of the matter was that the screen was replaced free of charge (although it was put down as a goodwill repair by the branch and not as a requirement of the CGA).

It illustrates how the retailer and manufacturer will still not stand by their obligations under the CGA unless the purchaser argues the point with them. It also shows that they will eventually repair items under the CGA, even though they may not admit their obligations.

Nomad
03-06-2010, 11:41 AM
They are funny. Cannot remember what I bought. Something not too pricey, and they asked me if I wanted extended warranty when that was around 33% of the product :lol:

Could of been a memory card or a handheld blender or an iron.

Trev
03-06-2010, 12:10 PM
It made me laugh last night when Fairgo took a hidden camera into a Harvey Normans store and the salesperson showing the customer why they needed an extended warranty on the laptop they were buying. They had a laptop on a table all in pieces and were showing the customer how much each part cost to replace if it broke down without a extended warranty. Talk about trying to sell a extended warranty.

PinoyKiw
03-06-2010, 01:06 PM
I have seen a quick talking sales person at Harveys take advantage of a senior who bought a cheap radio, $29 or $39, he was then convinced that he needed to get a extended warranty which cost more than the radio itself cost.

He was senior, the sales rep was talking up a storm of doom and gloom and the old guy was simply bamboozled and took as gospel what he was being sold as must have.

I didn't know the guy but saw him a couple of days later at one of the retirement villages, bought it to the attention of there admin. Heard later that they took up the matter with Harveys and it was all sorted out.

Metla
03-06-2010, 01:12 PM
Harvey Norman are scum,granted all the big reatilers offer to rip you off with extended warranties but HN push it way to hard, with all the arguments as to why just ready to be fired out.

When my oldboy buys crap from them they go hard with it, Ive had to tell them to **** on more then one occasion, My oldboy has more inteligance then every HN worker combined and they try that crap on him?, he's just too polite to tell them to shut up and swallow.

Personally I just tell em the CGA will cover it, if they say no it doesn't I ask for it in writing :lol: or just tell them to go and get me a different sales-twat. They don't like that at all. Goodbye commission.

prefect
03-06-2010, 01:20 PM
I see on TV they talked to Magness Benrow which is where I bought a TV in Jan this year. Saw the boss Man and the funny admin lady
Because these people are so nice I would never buy any home electronics anywhere else even if it was a little more expensive but the TV wasnt anyway.
I dont think they are on commission because they dont bug you when you first go into the shop.
They never even mentioned extended warranties.

robbyp
03-06-2010, 02:26 PM
I have never bought an extended warranty as the CGA should cover failures. I got the chance to test this last month when my laptop developed a permanent vertical line on the screen. It was 2 months out of warranty. I rang DSE about this and after the manager initially said there was nothing they could do since it was out of warranty, I mentioned the CGA and argued a laptop should last longer than 14 months. He eventually agreed with me although I felt I should not have needed to argue the point with him - he should not have tried to argue that it was not covered by the CGA.

When I took it to the shop, I had to stop him resetting the laptop back to factory default settings and losing my installed programs. He had little idea about how to diagnose the fault, even though I told him it occurred under the BIOS screen and was not related to the operating software. He rang the Toshiba branch and argued on my behalf about the laptop being covered under CGA, a complete turnaround of his initial position.

The guts of the matter was that the screen was replaced free of charge (although it was put down as a goodwill repair by the branch and not as a requirement of the CGA).

It illustrates how the retailer and manufacturer will still not stand by their obligations under the CGA unless the purchaser argues the point with them. It also shows that they will eventually repair items under the CGA, even though they may not admit their obligations.

These companies should be fined for making misleading statements like that. These stores know that the CGA covers faults outside the warrenty, yet they will often just fob you off saying it is out of warrenty and you have to pay for the repair. Saying such statements is effectively contracting out of the CGA, which is illegal. The problem is that NZ has these laws, but they don't have the resources to police them.

robbyp
03-06-2010, 02:31 PM
Harvey Norman are scum,granted all the big reatilers offer to rip you off with extended warranties but HN push it way to hard, with all the arguments as to why just ready to be fired out.

When my oldboy buys crap from them they go hard with it, Ive had to tell them to **** on more then one occasion, My oldboy has more inteligance then every HN worker combined and they try that crap on him?, he's just too polite to tell them to shut up and swallow.

Personally I just tell em the CGA will cover it, if they say no it doesn't I ask for it in writing :lol: or just tell them to go and get me a different sales-twat. They don't like that at all. Goodbye commission.

HN defense to fairgo was that they will look into doing more staff training. I am pretty sure I have heard that before, these companies know the rules, and if they know how to sell extended warrenties, they would know what the cga covers. They obviously get a lot of training in extended wareenties, including 'props'
I remember when noel leemings used to try selling you those expensive surge protectors with every purchase, and had all the props too.

hueybot3000
03-06-2010, 03:09 PM
I actually quite enjoy buying things at the likes of hn and noel lemming. Being in the know can provide alot of entertainment when you start askin questions and get the poor bugger tryin to sell you "the deal of a century" running around for his money.

When I bought my tv they said I should get the extended warranty, which at first I said no, but then I said I was going to buy elsewhere (which I wasnt cos the store in question was cheapest) and they knocked down the price some more so I threw the extended 5 year warranty on it and it cost me zilch. Quite clever I thinks

PinoyKiw
03-06-2010, 03:22 PM
I actually quite enjoy buying things at the likes of hn and noel lemming. Being in the know can provide alot of entertainment when you start askin questions and get the poor bugger tryin to sell you "the deal of a century" running around for his money.

Was at Harveys when Vista first came on the scene, I had been dragged in there by the director of household affairs, anyway, while she is gawking at what ever it was she had her heart set on, I wandered off to window shop the laptops.

Got some poor smuk in a real tiz over Vista. Indicated I didn't want Vista as I was a XP user, was told that I had no choice to buy Vista or upgrade as XP would stop working after a set date. I knew of course that the XP updates would cease at some point but he was insisting that XP itself would also cease to function if I didn't upgrade to Vista and of course he could do me a good deal to boot.

Told him that one of our computers was still happily running WinME, well, that was impossible unless it was a prirated version as WinME had ceased to function since when ever.

Case of shrug your shoulders and go find the loved one and see what she has her eye set on.

pctek
03-06-2010, 03:40 PM
These companies should be fined for making misleading statements like that. T.

They can be. $10000 I think it is. I printed it out and took it back to NL once after they went on and on about how I wasn't covered.

The manager got rather excited and blamed the sales guys.

wainuitech
03-06-2010, 05:53 PM
We got a new "very suckie motor" as the old one snaffled it on saturday.

SWMBO was talking to the sales guy as the one she wanted was recommend by the consumer -- as luck would have it my work cell rang, and I answered using my company name, not the usual hello (insert real name) speaking.

Poor sales guy asked if we wanted the extended warranty -- while on the phone I looked sideways at him, SWMBO said-- shut up you ( aimed at me) :mad: guess not he said :lol:

Twelvevolts
03-06-2010, 07:31 PM
Dick Smith sales guy once told me that I'd have to take them to Court to get rights under the Consumer Guarantees Act, therefore I'd need to buy their warranty. Went and bought the item at JB Hi-Fi instead.

wainuitech
03-06-2010, 11:09 PM
Dick Smith sales guy once told me that I'd have to take them to Court to get rights under the Consumer Guarantees Act Nice way to lose a sale. But you should call their bluff -- by saying that's no problem.

Off topic, but I had that with a person who wouldn't pay their bill - he called my bluff when I said I would take him to court -- I won the case. :thumbs: