PDA

View Full Version : Are Seagates junk?

Nomad
02-06-2010, 09:06 AM
I bought 3 Seagate SATA-2 500MBs (internals). 1 fell over within a few months, I got a new replacement and it looked physically different, that was sitting on the shelf for about a year and within 4 weeks it fell over.

Firmware is updated due to the first failure. I downloaded the utility and checked all 3 drives and updated them accordingly.

I did read people were having issues with them but I thought that was just a rant - anything can have failures but now I am thinking it is a bit weird. I also thought Seagate's 3 or 5yr warranty must be good.

I've had a Quantum 50MB lasted 5+ years till I dropped it :p A Maxtor it worked for almost 10 years then I gave it to eDay while still working. A Hitachi in a laptop bought 1yr used fell over but it had a international warranty, got a new one in 2002 and I am still using that. Seagate to me happens to fall over in a matter of months or weeks...

I'm beginning to do backups every night now between my 2 internal HDDs.

autechre
02-06-2010, 10:41 AM
It must just be you :D just kidding.

I think all HDD manufacturers go through bad patches & release bad drives from time to time. I've had plenty of Seagate drives that have taken a fair bit of use and are still going strong.

SKT174
02-06-2010, 11:17 AM
Since the SD15 firmware I've lost faith in Seagate ...

Agent_24
02-06-2010, 11:56 AM
If only Google would release the name of the manufacturer which had the most failures in their huge hard drive test we would know!!

I'm running quite a few Seagates and they have all seemed fine so far

wratterus
02-06-2010, 12:03 PM
They had a bad bunch of firmware, its fixed now, I still think they fail less than WD.

CYaBro
02-06-2010, 12:40 PM
Just had to pull out one of a clients SAS 15k RPM Seagate drives yesterday as it has died.
Luckily they have a RAID setup so can continue to work while HP send a replacement.
I haven't sold any Seagates since the firmware problem so don't know what they are like now.
Have only been selling WD and have not had one come back yet, touch wood.

Gobe1
02-06-2010, 12:46 PM
I have had about the same failure rate from Seagate and WD

johcar
02-06-2010, 04:59 PM
Never had any isues with Seagates - the same can't be said for Hitachi drives however!

hueybot3000
02-06-2010, 05:47 PM
Don't get me started with seagate. Had 5 drives fail. All within just over a year. Only use western digital now, but even they had a rough patch (I missed out on it luckily).

Seagate sit right down there with Gigabyte with me

And for the record I still have an 80gig WD in my media center that I purchased for my very first AMD64 XP build back in.....2003. It's slow as hell but still 100% in good nick

Agent_24
02-06-2010, 05:50 PM
The only thing you can be sure of is if you've got an IBM Deskstar it will break

inphinity
02-06-2010, 09:22 PM
Seagate and WD both seem to have the lowest failure rates I've found in HDD manufacturers. I've laso noticed that we seem to get failures of both those brands in batches - perhaps firmware issues or something? And extraordinarily low failure rates outside of those batches. Hell I still have some old 2GB drives from both Seagate & WD running here, hah.

goodiesguy
02-06-2010, 10:12 PM
yeah. i have an old 4.3gb seagate drive which had win 98 on it. i had no use for it so i popped windows 3.11 on it. i also have a 250mb seagate hard drive which still works.

PaulD
02-06-2010, 10:16 PM
The only thing you can be sure of is if you've got an IBM Deskstar it will break

There's nothing you can be sure of with hard drives except that the next one will be bigger. I still have a Nov 2000 IBM Deskstar running.

Agent_24
03-06-2010, 12:08 AM
But for how long? It will break eventually, too. Even if it doesn't suffer from the same defect as the ... defective ones which were infamous for dying.

You can also be sure if you have a Seagate, Western Digital, Hitachi, etc etc that they will all die.

That is why we make backups. If you have a good backup plan you don't have to give a damn about reliability of your drive.

Of course it's nice to not have to restore every five minutes but if that was the case I would hope to see a change to a different brand of hard drive...

Billy T
03-06-2010, 10:57 AM
I've got a Seagate medalist ST32122A 2GB (Malaysia), an ST34321A (China), a pair of Barracuda ATA IV 20GBs (Singapore) and a 40GB that I can't get to at present that are all in good order. I ran them all recently while looking for a lost file. The 2GBs have had well over 10 years use, being installed in the mid '90s and the 20/40GBs are coming up on 10 years.

So far I've only had one apparent failure, and I say 'apparent' because I kept the 'faulty' disk and tried it recently while I has a USB enclosure open and it was working fine.

I put the longevity down to switching off every night which means that they have only about 55/60% of the hours they'd run if left on 24/7.

I'm on WD now and if I get half as good service out of those I'll be happy!

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Agent_24
03-06-2010, 01:42 PM
Why did you switch to Western Digital?

R2x1
03-06-2010, 01:46 PM
Drives measured in GB are too young to say if they are reliable yet. ;) Old drives topped out at 10 MB for top of the line. Those new-fangled floppy drives have just faded away, cassettes seem to be still in need of work, but they are better than they were.
For reliable storage the old punched mylar tapes are still pretty tough. (Readers are hard to get at bargain prices lately, and getting harder.) Punch cards are no better, still humidity sensitive.