PDA

View Full Version : that oil leak....

beetle
01-06-2010, 09:17 PM
that huge one in the ocean near America?
:stare:
what is making it still spill out? pressure or force? gravity?

how do you normally stop the flow? i thought you stopped it via an explosion?

any opinions on this?

if the world has limited oil to be used in the future, why is it taking so long for them to react and fix the problem? (no i havent read all the media stuff so i may have missed things)

is there a chemical that can eat or fix the oil so it doesnt clog everything?

just asking cos i dont know.......dont shoot the messenger.....

beetle :)

PaulD
01-06-2010, 09:54 PM

if the world has limited oil to be used in the future, why is it taking so long for them to react and fix the problem? (no i havent read all the media stuff so i may have missed things)

Explosions are normally used to blow out oil rig fires on land. The Russians have used small nukes to seal oil well leaks and this is apparently being looked at as a last resort.

Talk is cheap but they may be working as fast as they can considering how far down the leak is. It isn't as if there is another team of experts that could do it better.

BP are using chemicals on the oil, the US Govt is concerned about how toxic some of these are.

wainuitech
01-06-2010, 10:09 PM
One of the problems is the depth - from reading several reports its approx 1,600 meters underwater (almost 1 Mile or 5249 feet) -- Thats a Long way down - they are having to use robots.

R2x1
01-06-2010, 10:26 PM
And it is BP, so their equipment is probably riddled with Lucas.

Even if the well wasn't at any great internal pressure, oil floats pretty well, so the water leaking into the well would shove the 70% lower density oil out rather briskly at that depth

wainuitech
01-06-2010, 11:03 PM
Just found This feed (http://www.bp.com/liveassets/bp_internet/globalbp/globalbp_uk_english/homepage/STAGING/local_assets/bp_homepage/html/rov_stream.html) - meant to be Live

SurferJoe46
02-06-2010, 06:26 AM
The outrage is all Obama's and he's strutting around like a little Napoleon here. He cannot get results and he's a 'results guy'.

Every move by BP to fix this is conscripted/constipated by the US Federal Gummermint and they are bollixing up the whole situation.

All repairs have to be cleared by Coast Guard admirals and 'experts' who've got nothing to add but red tape to BP's attempts to control this problem. These guys don't even go out into water that is over their heads! What the heck do they know about petro-dynamics or drilling teeth, for that matter!.

BP has been accused of nonchalantly waving this off as a minor inconvenience and the reality is that BP has yards of large denomination bills down the proverbial toilet here and they need to stop this with all express for their own reasons.

Kennedy had his "Bay Of Pigs" and Obama has his "Bay Of Rigs" problem for his tombstone.

The Messiah King has been found to be naked and all his posturing has amounted to zero accomplishments and unfulfilled dreams by someone who has run nothing of any substance in his life and never even knew the correct number of US States on a college entrance test. (The answer was not 49).

Never mind that he doesn't know where NZ is - that I can understand - but he hasn't the foggiest idea of reality - all he has is that peacock proud apologetic stance and blank, toothy stare.

The big problem is the Greens who insist that oil NOT BE drilled in eyesight of the land. So they go to great depth and expenses to get to the oil at depths they cannot control and with all the risks and problems exponentially raised because of the environment.

He won't let this tragedy go without capitalizing upon it though - he is a leader of the moment - blowing in the breeze - and he'll parallel this with the New Orleans flood (blaming the previous administration by the way) and now that the 'oceans are now awash with crude oil and we need to restore our image'- diatribes.

kahawai chaser
02-06-2010, 11:01 AM
Can't the United States offer one of their numerous submarines? Surely they must have some deep underwater machine to plug up that leak. Obama could quickly fast track any associated red tape...

PaulD
02-06-2010, 11:20 AM
Can't the United States offer one of their numerous submarines? Surely they must have some deep underwater machine to plug up that leak. Obama could quickly fast track any associated red tape...

"The chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff says the oil industry is better-equipped than the U.S. military to deal with the massive oil leak in the Gulf of Mexico." http://www1.voanews.com/english/news/usa/Admiral-Mullen-Oil-Industry-Better-Equipped-to-Counter-Spill-95255049.html

Erayd
02-06-2010, 11:38 AM
Can't the United States offer one of their numerous submarines? Surely they must have some deep underwater machine to plug up that leak. Obama could quickly fast track any associated red tape...Nice idea, except that none of them are much use at that depth, nor are they any good for fixing things like this. The wellhead is a *very* long way down!

They are already using ROVs - those are the best tools for the job.

Metla
02-06-2010, 11:41 AM
The outrage is all Obama's and he's strutting around like a little Napoleon here. He cannot get results and he's a 'results guy'.

Every move by BP to fix this is conscripted/constipated by the US Federal Gummermint and they are bollixing up the whole situation.

So this is the fault of Obama and the greenies?

And BP are the champions? The victims of a slur campaign? and they should be subjected to less restictions?

Lmfao.

Remove all the silly politicking from your post and what have you got?

WalOne
02-06-2010, 11:48 AM
So this is the fault of Obama and the greenies?

And BP are the champions? The victims of a slur campaign? and they should be subjected to less restictions?

Lmfao.

Remove all the silly politicking from your post and what have you got?

:clap:clap Well put, Metla.

I think criticisms should be objective - and factual. SJ's rant fails on both counts.

:angry

Gobe1
02-06-2010, 12:41 PM
that huge one in the ocean near America?
:stare:
what is making it still spill out? pressure or force? gravity?

any opinions on this?

just asking cos i dont know.......dont shoot the messenger.....

beetle :)

All very good questions Beetle
Limited oil, every drop wasted is one we cannot get back - almost like "time"
40 Million barrels equates to half the whole worlds petrol consumption isnt it??

PaulD
02-06-2010, 01:19 PM
40 Million barrels equates to half the whole worlds petrol consumption isnt it??

Per day that is. The US use around 20M barrels of oil per day.

What does 40M barrels represent? The only Gulf oil figures anywhere near that refer to US gallons not barrels.

Cato
02-06-2010, 03:24 PM
Per day that is. The US use around 20M barrels of oil per day.

What does 40M barrels represent? The only Gulf oil figures anywhere near that refer to US gallons not barrels.

1 battel = 42 gallons = 40,000,000 * 42 = 1,680,000,000 gallons = somewhere over 6.35 billion liters. That's a lot.

PaulD
02-06-2010, 03:43 PM
1 battel = 42 gallons = 40,000,000 * 42 = 1,680,000,000 gallons = somewhere over 6.35 billion liters. That's a lot.

No, there are some estimates that the total amount of oil so far is 30M+ gallons not barrels. Say 40,000,000 / 42 = just under 1M barrels ~152M Litres