PDA

View Full Version : at least he/she indicated

danielspencer2
31-05-2010, 03:42 PM
A driver allegedly passes at a no passing line but at least he/she indicated...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10648579

:)

oh well it will probably just be a $10 fine.

i can't believe these stories make it into a newspaper. i see bad driving on a daily basis.

allblack
31-05-2010, 04:04 PM
Dumb.

Never pull off a maneuver like that in a Holden.

Need a Ford for that.

Zippity
31-05-2010, 05:04 PM
What's to say that the semi trailer and following car weren't travelling at 5 kmph?

WalOne
31-05-2010, 05:14 PM
A driver allegedly passes at a no passing line but at least he/she indicated...

Looks to me from the Herald pic, that the car is still overtaking but indicating turning left rather than right. Not that it makes much difference, it's still an accident waiting to happen.

wainuitech
31-05-2010, 05:39 PM
Just as well the report said:
officers saw the picture - snapped by a following motorist's passenger Other wise the cops may have done the driver for using a cell phone while driving, if thats what it was taken on :xmouth:

Jen
31-05-2010, 06:51 PM
Danielspencer2 is Lance4K.

Lance4K was serving a ban for 10 days for continuing to troll the forum.

For his efforts, Lance4k is no longer a member of this forum. Let this be a warning for wanna-be trolls.

PaulD
31-05-2010, 07:25 PM
What's to say that the semi trailer and following car weren't travelling at 5 kmph?

Doesn't make any difference. It's the semi coming out of the mist that counts :D

R2x1
31-05-2010, 07:31 PM
Danielspencer2 is Lance4K.

Lance4K was serving a ban for 10 days for continuing to troll the forum.

For his efforts, Lance4k is no longer a member of this forum. Let this be a warning for wanna-be trolls.
He will be missed.

Something should be done about the abysmal marksmanship 'round here.

Orca
31-05-2010, 08:11 PM
I've seen people overtaking us and the car in front only to barely miss an oncoming car. This is at speeds of 100Km/h+. The car in front of us actually had to veer left to let him through. The passing car barely made it with about 3 seconds to spare I reckon.

Cato
31-05-2010, 08:34 PM
Am I the only one who thinks it up to the driver at that point to make a call if it's safe to overtake or not?

It's like when people see a sign with a number on it and they think they MUST drive to that speed even if the conditions say otherwise. Or that even 1km over 100 is death waiting to happen.

We don't know what speed the truck was going. And if he was overtaking at over 100km/h, and the cop says on the wrong side for 200m logic dictates it would have taken him less than 7.5 seconds to overtake. Since 100km/h is 27.7m/s. I can't see someone pulling out a phone and taking a snap within 7 and a half seconds...
So I would venture that the speeds were FAR lower.

Edit: It also looks like the driver is signaling left to get back to his lane... Since it seems like he is on his brakes.... As does the truck...

Sweep
31-05-2010, 08:47 PM
@ Cato

Clearly shown in the photo are double yellow lines that someone thoughtfully painted on the road.

What do you think they mean?

It's also alleged that the driver of the overtaking car passed the vehicle which was following the truck and trailer in one go.

PaulD
31-05-2010, 09:03 PM
Am I the only one who thinks it up to the driver at that point to make a call if it's safe to overtake or not?

We don't know what speed the truck was going. And if he was overtaking at over 100km/h, and the cop says on the wrong side for 200m logic dictates it would have taken him less than 7.5 seconds to overtake. Since 100km/h is 27.7m/s. I can't see someone pulling out a phone and taking a snap within 7 and a half seconds...

Edit: It also looks like the driver is signaling left to get back to his lane... Since it seems like he is on his brakes.... As does the truck...

At the point where the solid yellow no passing starts it's not your call unless you can stay completely on the left of the line.

The passenger in the car behind the truck already had a camera out. ""I like to take photos out the window when my husband's driving," said the woman, who did not want to be identified."

The 200m covers the distance to overtake the car the photo was taken from as well as the truck. You can't tell how far behind the truck that car is.

Zippity
31-05-2010, 11:21 PM
From the photo provided it is impossible to accurately state how much visibility there was before, during or after the overtaking manoeuvre.

This case's presentation is based on emotion, here say and is ill-conceived.

Cato
01-06-2010, 02:10 AM
Clearly shown in the photo are double yellow lines that someone thoughtfully painted on the road.

Yeah... And you have never, ever in your [i assume] 30+ years of driving done it yourself?
Come on, people do it all the time. Maybe not in foggy conditions, but if the road is clear most people would.

Hell people overtake around that dreadful road going into Coromandel, I don't think there are yellow lines there but people still driver way faster than a "sensible" limit, and overtake into idiotic blind corners at very unreasonable speeds. So just because there are no yellow lines does it mean it's OK if it ends up in an accident?

The same thing goes here, if you look at the oncoming lane, it looks like it has a passing lane, most passing lanes allow overtaking (broken line) who is to say he just didn't run out of that and continued overtaking into the double yellows. And by the look of his indicator he seems to be turning back in.
I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

If we are going to say no overtaking here or there, everyone who has ever broken the speed limit [yes, we all have] yet has a problem with this is a bloody hypocrite.

Sweep
01-06-2010, 03:24 AM
Yeah... And you have never, ever in your [i assume] 30+ years of driving done it yourself?
Come on, people do it all the time. Maybe not in foggy conditions, but if the road is clear most people would.

Hell people overtake around that dreadful road going into Coromandel, I don't think there are yellow lines there but people still driver way faster than a "sensible" limit, and overtake into idiotic blind corners at very unreasonable speeds. So just because there are no yellow lines does it mean it's OK if it ends up in an accident?

The same thing goes here, if you look at the oncoming lane, it looks like it has a passing lane, most passing lanes allow overtaking (broken line) who is to say he just didn't run out of that and continued overtaking into the double yellows. And by the look of his indicator he seems to be turning back in.
I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

If we are going to say no overtaking here or there, everyone who has ever broken the speed limit [yes, we all have] yet has a problem with this is a bloody hypocrite.

Fortunately I'm not like "most people" which is possibly why I'm still alive.

I have also admitted being over the speed limit from time to time so I'm not perfect.

You assume that the driver was a male. Why?

The driver is turning back in as he/she has the left indicator on but it does appear that the driver is almost ahead of the truck and trailer at that time.

You can give the driver the benefit of the doubt if you want to but there is no doubt that the motorist is on the right of double solid yellow lines.

Just what part of that is it that you fail to understand?

Cato
01-06-2010, 03:52 AM
You can give the driver the benefit of the doubt if you want to but there is no doubt that the motorist is on the right of double solid yellow lines.

Just what part of that is it that you fail to understand?

I fail to understand a lot. :)

My point is, it's not that big an issue in the first place. I think everyone here is over reacting to how evil said driver's actions were. I'm just saying it's NOT that dangerous.

Sweep
01-06-2010, 04:17 AM

My point is, it's not that big an issue in the first place. I think everyone here is over reacting to how evil said driver's actions were. I'm just saying it's NOT that dangerous.

OK. Would you please notify me when you get out of your fortified bunker and get on the road.

I will stay home that day so you can do what you want to and not take me out.:stare:

wmoore
01-06-2010, 06:37 AM

Poor visibility.
Approaching a corner.
Not knowing what is in front of the truck.
Travelling too fast for the conditions.
Wet(ish) road.
Not knowing if another idiot is doing the same coming the other way.

Not dangerous ???:illogical

prefect
01-06-2010, 08:26 AM
Its pretty close to a murderous act and the driver should be jailed and lose his licence for life.

Cato
01-06-2010, 08:57 AM
Approaching a corner.
And you know this how?

Not knowing what is in front of the truck.
Not knowing if another idiot is doing the same coming the other way.[/QUOTE]

Logic says there are two oncoming lanes so there is plenty of space. I don't know if the fog was too bad or not, but would you all say this is still a "murderous act" if there was no fog?

kenj
01-06-2010, 10:24 AM
Being a Nhapier-ite I have been travelling over that road for longer than I care to remember.

It has always had more than its share of idiots driving on it. It was safer when it was all metal road and took a hell of a lot longer to travel to Thaupo.

Ken

wmoore
01-06-2010, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by wmoore
Approaching a corner.
And you know this how?

By enlarging the photo and noticing the contour of the trees on the right hand side.

Not knowing if another idiot is doing the same coming the other way.
Logic says there are two oncoming lanes so there is plenty of space. I don't know if the fog was too bad or not, but would you all say this is still a "murderous act" if there was no fog?
Plenty of space for who ? What if someone was overtaking a car on the other side and was travelling fast as well.
It is more of the 'What if '

wainuitech
01-06-2010, 01:56 PM
Its no real brainer, the road law states
Double yellow lines mean no overtaking is permitted in either direction. " End of story.

Doesn't matter if the person "thinks" its safe or not, no matter what the road conditions.

They are there for a reason.

Zippity
01-06-2010, 03:25 PM
Isn't it easy to be a smart arse in hind sight? :D :D

PaulD
01-06-2010, 04:05 PM
Isn't it easy to be a smart arse in hind sight? :D :D

It's called Foresight.

You're defending driver dickhead, was it you? :D

Zippity
01-06-2010, 04:08 PM
From one photograph you have been able to deduce all this BS.

You must be a genius :( :(

And no, I'm not defending anyone - just common sense :)

prefect
01-06-2010, 04:54 PM
The camera never lies.

SolMiester
01-06-2010, 05:11 PM

It's like when people see a sign with a number on it and they think they MUST drive to that speed even if the conditions say otherwise. Or that even 1km over 100 is death waiting to happen.

good point!

Trev
01-06-2010, 05:14 PM
The camera never lies.
Heard of Photo Shop.

prefect
01-06-2010, 05:41 PM
Herd of cows?

Metla
01-06-2010, 05:48 PM
We can deduce that the drivers judgement call was fine as there was no resulting incident,therefore the yellow lines are in error and an investigation into their over use and placement in areas where they are not warranted should be launched immediately.

R2x1
01-06-2010, 06:54 PM
True, and they can also close the A & E at the hospital because I haven't been crook for ages. ;)

Cato
02-06-2010, 12:32 AM
You're defending driver dickhead, was it you? :D

Nah, you wouldn't catch me driving a Holden...
It'd take my car an hour or two to overtake that truck. :(

Its no real brainer, the road law states End of story.

Doesn't matter if the person "thinks" its safe or not, no matter what the road conditions.

They are there for a reason.

The law also states the same about the speed limit, yet most of us break the speed limit. Hippopotamus, I tell you, hippopotamus! :)

Sweep
02-06-2010, 12:59 AM
Nah, you wouldn't catch me driving a Holden...
It'd take my car an hour or two to overtake that truck. :(

The law also states the same about the speed limit, yet most of us break the speed limit. Hippopotamus, I tell you, hippopotamus! :)

Have you stopped beating your Wife or Children yet?

PaulD
02-06-2010, 08:23 AM

If you can't see the difference between no passing lines because there's poor visibility of the oncoming traffic and speed limits, you don't have the imagination to drive defensively.

The hippo is one of the most dangerous animals in Africa.

SKT174
02-06-2010, 11:13 AM
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10649114

Speechless by looking at those pictures ...

Metla
02-06-2010, 11:24 AM
Plenty of visibility through that section of the Manawatu Gorge to enable cutting the corner, Sure its lazy but not the harbinger of doom as the article makes out.

And if the trucks have the room they should do it to set themselves up for entry into the next corner.

wmoore
02-06-2010, 11:56 AM
From one photograph you have been able to deduce all this BS.

You must be a genius :( :(

And no, I'm not defending anyone - just common sense :)

Thank you.
Also I can tell by the photo that the person driving is likely to be male and Maori as well. Local person and most likely had just eaten a pie somewhere. ;)

Zippity
02-06-2010, 12:01 PM

Trev
02-06-2010, 12:17 PM
Plenty of visibility through that section of the Manawatu Gorge to enable cutting the corner, Sure its lazy but not the harbinger of doom as the article makes out.

And if the trucks have the room they should do it to set themselves up for entry into the next corner.
Yes the middle part of the Manawatu Gorge you can see that the road in front is clear at least 6 bends ahead and pass safely.

Cato
02-06-2010, 12:19 PM
On one occasion the truckie snapped a woman pushing a pram in front of an oncoming truck; on another, a motorcyclist texting while riding.

That is perhaps the stupidest thing I have ever heard of... He will get himself killed...

Trev
02-06-2010, 12:19 PM
Thank you.
Also I can tell by the photo that the person driving is likely to be male and Maori as well. Local person and most likely had just eaten a pie somewhere. ;)
Yes I can almost guarantee it was a Maori as that is the stupid moves that some of them make.

wmoore
03-06-2010, 01:58 AM
Yes I can almost guarantee it was a Maori as that is the stupid moves that some of them make.

10% of all road deaths are Maori and yet they only make up 14% of the population. The areas that have a high death rate with road accidents are the Far north, Manakau city and a few other places. Each of these areas of course have a high maori population.

Sources Stats NZ
MOT- 2008 road death stats.

PaulD
03-06-2010, 09:32 AM
10% of all road deaths are Maori and yet they only make up 14% of the population. The areas that have a high death rate with road accidents are the Far north, Manakau city and a few other places. Each of these areas of course have a high maori population.

Sources Stats NZ
MOT- 2008 road death stats.

If you used the figures in your source it might make your argument better.

24% road deaths which is much higher than the figure for serious and minor injury which match population %.