PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Alternative

wainuitech
29-05-2010, 12:35 PM
Just reading the latest Aust PC user Mag-- they had a article on an Outlook Alternative. Pimero (http://www.pimero.com/en/)

Downloaded it, installed the free version on W7 Workshop PC-- VERY impressed.

Even the free version has most if not all the features of outlook.

The paid version, according to the site, and mail program even allows you to sync between other PC's. Different editions (http://www.pimero.com/en/editionen.php) Even then its not to badly priced if you want the paid functions.

Only annoying thing is on the free version, theres an ad window when opening the program for a few seconds, other than that - I think it may be one to look into.

PinoyKiw
29-05-2010, 12:40 PM
Looks interesting.....

Am a big user of Outlook for the Calendar and Tasks though I have no need to sync to other users.

ronyville
29-05-2010, 01:12 PM
looks good but not available for linux users i guess. gonna have to try it out on my windows machine.

gary67
29-05-2010, 01:21 PM
Will give it a try on my spare machine as soon as time allows. Can't you tell I'm meant to be writing an assignment today

Sweep
29-05-2010, 01:31 PM
Thanks for that. I will have a look as it may well be worthwhile for those who don't have Outlook or who can't afford same.

Possible alternative to Windows live mail as well.

WalOne
29-05-2010, 03:05 PM
Thanks for this post.

I'm currently running H&S 2007, which of course doesn't have Outlook, so I still run Outlook 2003. I can't envisage life without Outlook and I can't afford the 2007 version with it. I'll check out Pimero later.

Can anyone comment on the legality of a so-called "Blue" version of Outllook with a one-time key for a full version? This has surfaced in a couple of places, lately e-Bay. Free to download from M$ and the key emailed to you for around NZ$10

Sounds too good to be true?

:illogical

wainuitech
29-05-2010, 03:14 PM
Think your last line said it all.

Read this here (http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/06/12/what-is-microsoft-office-2007-enterprise-blue-edition/) -- I have access to OEM software as well - and I can tell you I have never seen any such thing.
he group claimed the Blue Edition as a secret edition that only available to original equipment manufacturers (OEM) and not to the general public.

"Usually" if you get these so called Blue, Special etc editions they are not legit.

In that Pimero - you can change it to Blue :D Color change (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Capture1275099109.png) Ok its only cosmetic, but more options Than Outlooks Black/Blue or Silver.

The color Shown is Pumpkin --:confused: Always thought Pumpkins were more orange. :illogical

WalOne
29-05-2010, 03:26 PM
Thanks Wainui, I think it probably was too good to be true. However, FYI, here's some info on the Torrent site that purports to reveal all about the "Blue" edition, if you feel it worthy of your time to comment. :)

[edit: link to pirated software removed]

As a tech, you'd know if this is true or not?

PinoyKiw
29-05-2010, 03:56 PM
A quickie google search seems to lean towards the so called Blue Edition as not being exactly legal.

It may be a legal copy for those that work in Microsoft itself or similair if it really did exist but if it has been leaked and uploaded to torrent sites then it will no longer be legal.

Seems almost strange that with Microsoft clamping down on priated versions of MS Office that in the same breath it would release for free a secret copy of same.

I have seen versions of Office, Windows XP, Vista and Win7 Pro while in the malls and markets in various parts of Asia all claiming to be legal on one hand while saying that they are pre-activated on the other hand.

wainuitech
29-05-2010, 04:01 PM
Microsoft Office 2007 - Blue Edition (Fully Activated) illegal written all over it.

Microsoft dont put products on Rapidshare, or on Torrent sites - look at the Uploader = (unknown).

While MS do have pre-Pidded Software, they are not available to the general public. The company, people allowed to have the software legally, have some sort of licensing with MS.

In English :nerd: it means "The product key is actually built into the installer and you do not need a separate one to install it and is generally pre activated".

Heres a legal example (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/cc442495.aspx) Windows 7 Enterprise Trial, its pre pidded, BUT the license is only a trail one, meaning at the time it expires you need to purchase it to carry on. Also look where it comes from -- microsofts own Technet site

PinoyKiw
29-05-2010, 04:10 PM
illegal written all over it.

Microsoft dont put products on Rapidshare, or on Torrent sites - look at the Uploader = (unknown).

The fact that this *legal* secret version of MS Office is available on a torrent site would be the other give away as Wainuitech has pointed out.

WalOne
29-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Thanks guys.

I'll forget all about it.

Forget about what? :)

WalOne
29-05-2010, 08:15 PM
Just reading the latest Aust PC user Mag-- they had a article on an Outlook Alternative. Pimero (http://www.pimero.com/en/)

Downloaded it, installed the free version on W7 Workshop PC-- VERY impressed.

Even the free version has most if not all the features of outlook.

The paid version, according to the site, and mail program even allows you to sync between other PC's. Different editions (http://www.pimero.com/en/editionen.php) Even then its not to badly priced if you want the paid functions.

Only annoying thing is on the free version, theres an ad window when opening the program for a few seconds, other than that - I think it may be one to look into.

Sorry Wainui, I may have inadvertently hijacked your thread. :o

I downloaded the Pimero program, and it looks like everything I've been looking for! Legal, and I think better than Outlook 2003. Thanks.

wainuitech
29-05-2010, 08:26 PM
Not hijacking at all :) It was still on track with other Email programs -- all with the exception of illegal ones --

The program was just a review in a magazine I brought - mind you the mag says the free one doesn't have email support, but the actual free version on their site does ?????

As Sweep mentioned earlier on
Possible alternative to Windows live mail as well. While live mail works, I personally think it looks awful "plain and bland".

I'll try it out some more before I suggest it to customers -- So any one who tries it -- it would be great if any experiences, Good, Bad or indifferent were posted.

:thanks

radium
29-05-2010, 08:29 PM
Good Find, I don't like Windows Live Mail much. Will check it out

WalOne
30-05-2010, 02:21 PM
I've downloaded Pimero, and the download also included some Microsoft.net Framework 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 files, and Firebird (I assume all these are necessary to run Primero). The program appears to start OK, but is flagged "Pimero has encountered a problem and needs to close" If I select "Send error report" Pimero closes, if I select "Don't send", it also closes.

I've tried uninstalling and re-installing Pimero twice, with no effect. I can however, run it if I move the "encountered a prob" window off screen and ignore it, but that's not a solution.

I'm running XP Pro SP3, Firefox 3.6.3 Is Firefox an issue? (please don't tell me I have to go back to IE!)

Property Value
Manufacturer Dell Computer Corporation
Product Name OptiPlex GX60
Serial Number GCVD81S
Machine Type AT/AT COMPATIBLE
Infrared (IR) Supported No
DMI System UUID 44454C4C-43001056-8044C7C0-4F383153
UUID 4C4C4544-0043-5610-8044-C7C04F383153

Disk Space Disk C: 4644 MB Available, 38162 MB Total, 4644 MB Free
Disk E: 211 GB Available, 298 GB Total, 211 GB Free

Physical Memory 759 MB Total, 218 MB Free
Memory Load 71%

Virtual Memory 1858 MB Total, 1297 MB Free

PageFile Name C:\pagefile.sys
PageFile Size 1140 MB
In use 67 MB
Max used 76 MB
Registry Size 4 MB (current), 54 MB (maximum)

Can anybody come up with any suggestions how to get Pimero running properly?

:help:

johcar
30-05-2010, 03:28 PM
Running OK on Win7 - but when I click the SkypeManager button in Extras, it doesn't recognise that Skype is already installed.

Other than that, I'm quite impressed - nice and quick to navigate and intuitive, although setup of accounts is more like Outlook 2003 than 2007 - a bit on the manual side... But for the price, I would say an excellent replacement for Outlook Express or Live Mail.

EDIT: Can't see anywhere to set a default font (I hate Arial) and when I click on an item in the RSS reader it opens IE (!!!) rather than the default browser (FF)

PinoyKiw
30-05-2010, 04:37 PM
My version has simply stopped working.

Worked ok yesterday. Today, it opens the advert / splash screen and then just disappears. Fails to open doesn't matter how long you wait.:badpc:

Though in processes it is shown as running. Running somewhere....

Uninstalled and reinstalled, no improvement. Splash screen and then nothing.

Might have to stick with Outlook for a while longer. :(

It looked promising to start with ...............

Sweep
30-05-2010, 05:36 PM
I could not find a method to import my PST file from Outlook so for now ( as I have Outlook ) I will stay with same.

Lawrence
30-05-2010, 06:03 PM
The standard one would be better than the free one,if I read it right you can import with CSV but not Export (backup)
Went back to using Opera Mail with Win7

wainuitech
30-05-2010, 07:05 PM
I could not find a method to import my PST file from Outlook so for now ( as I have Outlook ) I will stay with same. Thats Odd, I put it on a PC that has Outlook 2003 on it, and when first opening, it asked if I wanted to import all mail and contacts from Outlook (not exact words but close enough)

johcar
30-05-2010, 07:19 PM
I think you'll find that was Calendar and Contacts....

Sweep
30-05-2010, 07:26 PM
Did not ask for me that I saw. After install I went to the file tab and looks like no file import/export available.

WalOne
30-05-2010, 07:36 PM
I've been able to import both my contacts and calendar from Outlook 2003 without any problems. It looks like a real contender to Outlook 2003, at least.

Now all I have to do is to get that "Pimero has encountered a problem and needs to close" window banished, and it should be sweet.

:2cents:

Speedy Gonzales
30-05-2010, 07:56 PM
What version did you get?? The Pro version has it. The free version may not have the option

Sweep
30-05-2010, 08:03 PM
What version did you get?? The Pro version has it. The free version may not have the option

If you are talking to me I downloaded the 30 day Pro trial and it's lasted less than that as it's now un installed.

There was no advantage to me personally anyway as I have Office 2007 Pro which has Outlook.

Speedy Gonzales
30-05-2010, 08:06 PM
If you are talking to me I downloaded the 30 day Pro trial and it's lasted less than that as it's now un installed.

There was no advantage to me personally anyway as I have Office 2007 Pro which has Outlook.

Anyone who doesnt get the option to import the OL info. I may install it, and uninstall OL and most of Office (except Word). Since I have no need for any of them. If I can export contacts from Pimero directly to this Ipod, I'll remove Office and Itunes. Thats the only reason, why I installed OL and Itunes

Sweep
30-05-2010, 08:10 PM
Anyone who doesnt get the option to import the OL info. I may install it, I may uninstall OL and most of Office (except Word). Since I have no need for any of them

Fine by me. Do whatever works for you.