PDA

View Full Version : Are laptop batteries covered under warranty?

xyz823
28-05-2010, 11:47 PM
My battery has reecently been lasting barely 40min and just today whenever I startup I get this error:

HP Battery Alert
The system has detected the storage capacity of the battery stated below to be very low. For optimal performance, this battery may need to be replaced.

Primary (internal) Battery (601)

ENTER - Continue Startup
For more information, please visit: www.hp.com/go/techcenter/startup.

Anyway, down in the corner by where the power icon is the battery has a big cross on it and says "0% avalible, plugged in, charging, consider replacing your battery."

Now can I get it replaced under either the manufacturers warranty or the supercover warranty? (I brought it in August last year)

Or do I have to fork out $300 for a replacement myself? :waughh:

KarameaDave
28-05-2010, 11:55 PM
They will probably try to fob you off.
But less than 1 year?
Consumer guarantees act should cover this I would think.

xyz823
28-05-2010, 11:59 PM
They will probably try to fob you off.
But less than 1 year?
Consumer guarantees act should cover you I would think.

That was my thinking - might have to go have a chat with Noel Leeming tomorrow!

If it was 2-3 years I could understand - but not even 10 months is outrageous... :mad:

KarameaDave
29-05-2010, 12:21 AM
Yeah, my one has failed pretty much...but it took 3 years so I
just have to wear it...I think it's pretty poor though. :(

Sweep
29-05-2010, 12:54 AM
Um. Is this an HP battery covered by a recent recall notice?

Other than that you should be covered by the CGA.

Alex B
29-05-2010, 02:19 PM
Batteries are a consumable. But if you ring HP direct (0800 449 553) they should give you a new one. Will be a hell of alot quicker than going back to the retailer.

johcar
29-05-2010, 02:30 PM
Asus batteries are only warranted for three months. Ridiculous.

KiwiMR2
30-05-2010, 01:21 PM
If it's less than 3 months old it will often be covered however they are not usually covered under warranty or the CGA as the battery life can be reduced by the user doing things wrong.

Batteries only last so long, and have a finite charge limit. Also, Lithium Ion batteries can lose up to 20% of their capacity a year while at full charge.
Keeping your laptop plugged in with the AC adaptor can ruin your battery even faster.

Cheers
KiwiMR2

sam m
30-05-2010, 01:44 PM
Um. Is this an HP battery covered by a recent recall notice?

Other than that you should be covered by the CGA.

I got an email stating that my battery was part of the recall. I would check HP's website to see if your battery qualifies.

johcar
30-05-2010, 01:47 PM
Sometimes it's not the battery itself, it's the motherboard causing the issues... In which case the motherboard will need to be replaced (definitely under warranty since it's not even 12 months old) and the battery will be just fine.

KiwiMR2
30-05-2010, 07:53 PM
Sometimes it's not the battery itself, it's the motherboard causing the issues... In which case the motherboard will need to be replaced (definitely under warranty since it's not even 12 months old) and the battery will be just fine.

Bios update can sometimes help too.

Cheers
KiwiMR2

Nomad
30-05-2010, 09:37 PM
I have a 2000 laptop that still hold a full charge.

Battery's never attached; lol. Now the laptop screen has gone bad, one of the mouse button has come off, some of the keyb's lettering has rubbed off, a USB port does not work; but it still works.