PDA

View Full Version : Pcteks Move Update

pctek
28-05-2010, 03:24 PM
Moved into house, furniture truck didn't arrive, check on truck whereabouts - delayed due to swimming through floods in South Island.

Camping in lounge with mattress which has now grown a large mold patch and PC which is happily reporting via Speedtest.net an amazing and not totally believable 20Mbps.

Got offered 2 jobs now, first I flagged weeks ago, the other I'll probably take - it's with Renaissance - :eek::banana

Metla
28-05-2010, 03:45 PM
WMG just jizzed.

Nomad
28-05-2010, 03:51 PM
Maybe that's why people go to the larger cities :p Enjoy the rat race.

pctek
28-05-2010, 03:52 PM
Hey I'm not marketing the stuff. In fact Renaissance merged with Insite recently, and my part involves obscure items schools and the like might want in addition to their systems.......

catspyjamas
28-05-2010, 03:54 PM
That's great news about the job offers - especially finding one that suits. Congratulations. :)

This rain is relentless. My car had to pretend to be a boat on Tuesday night in my effort to get to work. It got through the first flooded out bit of road but I chickened out and did a U turn at the second flood. This turned out to be a good decision as I found out they closed the road only minutes after that and a few cars had to be rescued that were floating or stuck. This was in North Wellington. I'm glad the floods and road closures were reported in the newspaper the next day because my phone call to the boss explaining my being beached at home did sound awfully like "the dog ate my homework", as it was only drizzling by then and things weren't nearly so bad in the area the office is.

Hope your stuff arrives soon.

Metla
28-05-2010, 04:00 PM
Hey I'm not marketing the stuff. In fact Renaissance merged with Insite recently, and my part involves obscure items schools and the like might want in addition to their systems.......

what?

I can read it but it makes no sense.

Apple peeps, Its all gibberish to me.

lakewoodlady
28-05-2010, 04:36 PM

Yes it makes sense to me. Would be kinda interesting to know what sort of "obscure items" schools etc would want in addition to their systems?

Good luck with the the job pctek! :punk

LL

WalOne
28-05-2010, 05:22 PM
Didn't take you long to get a job and hopefully settled! Well done.

:thumbs:

Jen
28-05-2010, 06:11 PM
Well done with the job. :)

coldot
28-05-2010, 06:54 PM
So whose house has the "Homeless Bum" moved into?
And when are the owners expected back from overseas?:horrified

pctek
28-05-2010, 09:57 PM
So whose house has the "Homeless Bum" moved into?
And when are the owners expected back from overseas?:horrified

Beats me. The property manager just said they were in NZ somewhere.:waughh:

ubergeek85
28-05-2010, 11:17 PM
Good to hear you're making progress, hope it all works out for you :)

Metla
29-05-2010, 11:12 AM
Yes it makes sense to me.

Ha.

I was merely taking the piss, as in once a person is on the other-side of the fence they become incomprehensible.

I of course am very pleased that Pctek has her employment sorted, Its a major hurdle to get over.

Greven
29-05-2010, 02:24 PM
Insite are great, but it is a pity they had to shut down their Christchurch branch.

Renmoo
29-05-2010, 05:10 PM
Good to hear that, pctek.

Is that in Onehunga?

pctek
30-05-2010, 06:25 PM
Ha.

I was merely taking the piss,.

I knew that.

Yes, It's in Onehunga. Yuk. Traffic.......

R2x1
30-05-2010, 09:36 PM
Onehunga is only a little bigger than Dunedin, but unfortunately traffic is inevitable since the people move about a little more - sometimes several times a day. Skiing is a bit poor. Parsnips are a hopeless crop but oranges are bit less effort ;)

pcuser42
30-05-2010, 09:41 PM
Eventually car traffic will (may?) be a thing of the past, with the Onehunga Line being reopened shortly ;)

R2x1
31-05-2010, 12:05 AM
Yeah, right ;)

Metla
31-05-2010, 12:05 AM
I knew that.

Yeah, I knew that you knew that.

prefect
31-05-2010, 08:37 AM
Eventually car traffic will (may?) be a thing of the past, with the Onehunga Line being reopened shortly ;)

Aucklanders taking buses and trains leaving their cars at home will happen when I see pigs doing touch and goes at Mangere.

pcuser42
31-05-2010, 08:43 AM
Aucklanders taking buses and trains leaving their cars at home will happen when I see pigs doing touch and goes at Mangere.

Better get the pigs trained up then ;)

pctek
31-05-2010, 09:14 AM
Any opinions on that South Motorway (round Hillsborough) route in peak hour?

Or should I just stick to Mt Albert Rd route instead............

WalOne
31-05-2010, 09:34 AM

No transport system will ever be the best to all people unless you can provide circle lines. Which in the case of Auckland and its isthmus, it's just not economic to do so. So we're left with a hub and spoke system that the Romans evolved and is still the backbone of most modern transport systems.

Auckland's problem is like Los Angeles (seven counties looking for a city) except we've got four cities looking for a CBD. If you live on a arterial note, Auckland is great. Just a bit of planning is all it takes, and these days, I find it faster to bus into the CBD, virtually door to door, with an efficient, modern, clean, air conditioned fleet such as Howick & Eastern.

"New Zealand 464, Tower. Cleared to land 20. Caution wake turbulence from formation of pigs departing for circuit training."

:banana

prefect
31-05-2010, 11:02 AM
Any opinions on that South Motorway (round Hillsborough) route in peak hour?

Or should I just stick to Mt Albert Rd route instead............

I would personally favor Mt Albert/ Carrington Road to Airport 1hunga.
The Southern motor way comes to a complete halt sometimes.

Nomad
31-05-2010, 11:49 AM
IMO, most if not all larger cities have not succeeded with traffic. You can have subway trains, buses, ferries, people like to use their own cars me thinks.

I think AKL needs a subway system, it has some ferries already and buses and taxis. Not much you can do except giving people the choice and just put up with traffic. Some may wanna pay high prices and live in the city so they are at least closer to work... which tends to be a trend these days by some what.

Metla
31-05-2010, 12:07 PM
They should triple the petrol tax in Auckland, and use the money to subsidise motorcycles for commuters.

pctek
31-05-2010, 04:03 PM
I would personally favor Mt Albert/ Carrington Road to Airport 1hunga.
The Southern motor way comes to a complete halt sometimes.

Its the SouthEastern motprway I think it's called, not the SOuthern.
Have to say I'm tending towards the Mt Albert route though.....

R2x1
31-05-2010, 07:13 PM
South-Western perhaps through Onewhunga?

robbyp
01-06-2010, 03:26 PM
IMO, most if not all larger cities have not succeeded with traffic. You can have subway trains, buses, ferries, people like to use their own cars me thinks.

I think AKL needs a subway system, it has some ferries already and buses and taxis. Not much you can do except giving people the choice and just put up with traffic. Some may wanna pay high prices and live in the city so they are at least closer to work... which tends to be a trend these days by some what.

Far too expensive, NZ is too poor to pay for it. Light rail or trams is the cheaper option. I think Auckland is too spread out for a subway system to be affordable too. Subways work in london an ny, due to the higher density of people.

Battleneter2
01-06-2010, 04:05 PM
They should triple the petrol tax in Auckland, and use the money to subsidise motorcycles for commuters.

If they get the crap buses off the road it would make room for some more cars!!

gary67
01-06-2010, 08:27 PM
Get rid of the cars and buy Aucklanders some walking shoes, look at the savings to the health budget with all these fit people around more room for Metla to ride his motorbike

plod
01-06-2010, 08:45 PM
Get rid of the cars and buy Aucklanders some walking shoes, look at the savings to the health budget with all these fit people around more room for Metla to ride his motorbike

from stomach staples too hip and knee replacements:D

R2x1
01-06-2010, 10:34 PM
All those Aucklanders walking? - that is stealing work from the nomads.