PDA

View Full Version : do i have to stop?

lance4k
26-05-2010, 08:39 PM
if i see a car accident that i didn't cause, do i have to stop at the scene?

i know if i DID cause the accident then I have to stop otherwise i could be charged with failing to stop.

Ferg
26-05-2010, 08:46 PM
Legally - No
Morally - Yes.

Hope that helps.

Sweep
26-05-2010, 08:49 PM
Legally you don't. I might add that if you can't actually help then you would add to the problem.

But if you can or could help and don't stop you'd be a person I wouldn't want to know.

Even sitting behind with flashers on may help others not to be involved.

ubergeek85
26-05-2010, 08:59 PM
At a minimum, I'd still pull over, check everyone's ok, ring cops, etc.

I dunno if you legally have to though.

tweak'e
26-05-2010, 09:07 PM
it depends on how many on scene already.

one of the problem here is accidents are so common no one stops. one guy was in a paddock and no one bothered to check for 3 days.
its rather sad that we have gotten so used to it that no one really gives a toss.

but what doesn't help is emergency services don't mark accident sights, so with heavy traffic everyone assumes its already been checked.

qazwsxokmijn
26-05-2010, 09:35 PM
If you don't stop and you don't have any pressing issues at the time, then you're a moron.

lance4k
26-05-2010, 09:39 PM
Legally - No
Morally - Yes.

Hope that helps.

thanks. do u know for sure though?

gary67
26-05-2010, 09:43 PM

Yes

tweak'e
26-05-2010, 09:47 PM
isn't there something along the line of having to help injured people. i can't remember the term(s). if you see someone obviously injured you must assist.
i can't remember if that applies in NZ or not.

Gordna
26-05-2010, 10:01 PM
If no one else has then you should!

lance4k
26-05-2010, 10:31 PM
isn't there something along the line of having to help injured people. i can't remember the term(s). if you see someone obviously injured you must assist.
i can't remember if that applies in NZ or not.

i think that's duty to assist if you are a boat captain and someone is in trouble in the water u have to help them.

hueybot3000
26-05-2010, 10:47 PM
Why would you even ask? You use your common sense (that is if your having a really good day mentally and can muster enough up)

Ferg
27-05-2010, 04:36 AM

Yes

Cato
27-05-2010, 07:54 AM
Don't matter if you have to or not. Do the decent thing.

PinoyKiw
27-05-2010, 09:22 AM
As Sweep and others say........legally the answer is no but from a moral point of view, if you can assist, then your help could be very useful.

If you have training in first aid, CPR, or traffic control, your assistance would probably be appreciated

Bear in mind that if you can help, then do so without endangering yourself or others, nothing is gained if you also get hurt

But if you cannot help, then don't stop and rubber neck, you just add to the mess.

Thomas01
28-05-2010, 12:26 PM
It's only happened to me once many many years ago. Driving home with 3 passengers we saw a motorcyclist fall off his bike and appear somewhat hurt. He was several hundred yards away when we saw him but of course we stopped to help.
We were the first car to arrive but within minutes others better qualified also stopped, and the police also arrived.
Nothing else we could do and we were all expected at home soon so I started the car and prepared to leave the scene.

A copper saw what we were doing and ordered us to stay where we were - he obviously thought we had collided with the motorcyclist and refused to listen to us.
It was quite a while before the police got round to talking to us and then realizing we had nothing to do with the accident but had merely stopped to help let us go.

We were too far off the scene to even be reliable witnesses to what had happened. So what would be our position if we had driven off and ignored the instruction to stay?

Sweep
28-05-2010, 12:49 PM
The Police can ask for you name and date of birth and also request your drivers licence.

For refusing the first two you can be arrested on the spot.

prefect
28-05-2010, 12:52 PM
It's only happened to me once many many years ago. Driving home with 3 passengers we saw a motorcyclist fall off his bike and appear somewhat hurt. He was several hundred yards away when we saw him but of course we stopped to help.
We were the first car to arrive but within minutes others better qualified also stopped, and the police also arrived.
Nothing else we could do and we were all expected at home soon so I started the car and prepared to leave the scene.

A copper saw what we were doing and ordered us to stay where we were - he obviously thought we had collided with the motorcyclist and refused to listen to us.
It was quite a while before the police got round to talking to us and then realizing we had nothing to do with the accident but had merely stopped to help let us go.

We were too far off the scene to even be reliable witnesses to what had happened. So what would be our position if we had driven off and ignored the instruction to stay?

The order isn't a lawful order so I would ignore it. Know your rights. The feds work on the theory that a big portion of the population dont know their rights.

Sweep
28-05-2010, 12:56 PM
The order isn't a lawful order so I would ignore it. Know your rights. The police work on the theory that a big portion of the population dont know their rights.

You can be charged with failing to stop for a police officer if driving.