PDA

View Full Version : Parallel import and travelling - iPhone (Asia)

Nomad
25-05-2010, 05:56 PM
Hiya

Now the XT network employs a simcard. Is the XT simcard available easily around the world esp in Asia? For example I can take a XT phone go overseas and buy a simcard easily?

If I get a iPhone from overseas, I can use it in NZ with just a XT prepaid package right?

Never had experience with XT or any Telecom phones. Always used Vodafone cos they had a simcard design that was available easily around the world.

Cheers.

somebody
25-05-2010, 06:41 PM
Usually yes - for standard 2G phone use, if you're taking an XT-phone overseas as it'll most likely support most of the common GSM frequencies. For example, lots of XT phones you can stick a Vodafone or 2Degrees sim card in it and it'll work (with 2G, so phone, SMS, slow internet - 3G will depend on whether the phone also does 805MHz WCDMA).

Bringing a phone back into NZ to use on XT, you need to make sure it supports 850Mhz WCDMA, otherwise it won't work on XT. iPhones from AT&T in the USA for example will work, because they're on the same frequency, as will phones on Telstra's NextG network in Oz.

Nomad
25-05-2010, 07:25 PM
Ok, is a 850Mhz version available easily in Asia if anyone knows?

Is Asia popular with a 850Mhz frequency?

2G loses the appeal .... I would like to use the net and GPS hence the larger screen compared to my Nokia E75 (on Vodafone/2Degrees).
Roaming mobile data would be too expensive.

Cheers.

somebody
25-05-2010, 07:48 PM
According to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UMTS_frequency_bands the answer is no.

paulw
25-05-2010, 07:53 PM
You could also look here. http://www.worldtimezone.com/gsm.html
Can't vouch for it's accuracy..

Nomad
25-05-2010, 07:59 PM
What 3G bands are in the XT version iPhone if there is more than one? Hoping that if I can do without 850 I can use some other 3G freq when overseas :D

PinoyKiw
26-05-2010, 12:59 PM
Be quite honest, know nothing about Telecom XT.........

But in any of the malls in Asia that I pass through, most common phone available for sale would be the 3G compatible one's, many are also compatible with the USA standard which is on the tip of my tongue but cannot think of it right now, only 7am here and been up all night...........

I thought Telecom XT was only able to be used outside of NZ with roaming, if that was correct, then it becomes expensive.

Cheapest way to keep in touch is to buy a el cheapo vodafone or 2degree's cellphone, if you are coming to Australia, no need to change sim's, if going to Asia, just buy a local sim card as you go, sim cards and prepay are cheap as in many places.

johcar
26-05-2010, 01:09 PM
What 3G bands are in the XT version iPhone if there is more than one? Hoping that if I can do without 850 I can use some other 3G freq when overseas :D

There is no such beast as an "XT version iPhone".

The iPhone is an iPhone - it's a quad band phone (IIRC) which covers the frequencies in use by Telecom XT and Vodafone NZ (although I understand from my reading on Geekzone that the iPhone performs better on the XT network!)

I bought my 3GS online (ex-Australia as it turns out) and plugged my XT SIM straight in. Followed the intructions from my Account Manager and installed a "Telecom_nz.ipcc" config file (which changes a few settings and displays XT logo) and the phone was up and running.

From a hardware point of view, there is absolutely no difference between an XT SIM and a Vodafone SIM... It's the configuration on the SIM (and in the phone) that points you to one or other network.

XT uses 850 and 2100GHz frequency bands

This site (http://www.iphonewzealand.co.nz/iphone-settings/manual-carrier-settings/) is extremely helpful in setting up an iPhone

PinoyKiw
26-05-2010, 01:29 PM
Hiya If I get a iPhone from overseas, I can use it in NZ with just a XT prepaid package right?.

Just reread the thread, I overlooked the iPhone part of the question earlier. Ignore my earlier ramblings, too early in the morning, too tired.

Nomad
26-05-2010, 01:56 PM
Cheers 2100 band 3G should be available then ... :D
A change of simcard.

Ninjabear
26-05-2010, 04:42 PM
It should be fine I think although 3G could be a problem due to the 850 frequency

Nomad
26-05-2010, 06:37 PM
Any reason XT does not have the iPhone on their website?

And why does Voda have a iPhone data plan?
Isn't it just another 3G phone?

:)

paulw
26-05-2010, 06:41 PM

Because Telecom can't sell the iPhone due them being a small company with very little buying clout?? Vodafone can draw on it's worldwide buying power and NZ will get some of them.

johcar
26-05-2010, 06:53 PM

Because Telecom didn't have a network that the iPhone could run on when it launched and because Vodafone scored an exclusive supplier deal with Apple.